The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Half baked book review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
I recently received this booklet as a gift following trading with Alex Michael
(the guy that compiled this) and he asked me to review it. I am in no way
related to anyone involved in the product and my review is based purely on my
opinions. It is my first review so hope it is ok.

Here is a good sized booklet with many great ideas and new concepts covering a
lot of effects, coins across, matrix, mind reading and even a rose production.

The illustrations and the way the booklet is written is very brief and to the
point. The style suited me to the ground as being experienced I don't like long
waffly effects and if the decription doesn't appeal to me I don't want to
dismiss everything.

There is a card change which for me alone is worth the price of this booklet...
Maybe because I just like card changes.

The last section contains many humorous ideas which I enjoyed, to give this
booklet a lighter feel.

On the negative side... There could have been a few more illustrations and would
have been better if in a hard bound format. The grammar and spelling isn't too
hot but the book is 'half baked' so may be a little acceptable. This booklet
will not be for everyone and is a far cry from Kaufmans Collected Almanac... But
it is very good in it's own way.

All in all, I believe that the retail price of £20/$40 shipped worldwide makes
this the best deal on the planet.

The idea of giving the proceeds to charity makes this booklet even more special.

Overall 8/10. Highly recommended for an experienced close up worker who wants a
light easy read.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
You really liked the material?

The card change is ok I guess, any other favourites?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I just got this book. Admittedly some of the stuff is old ideas, but much of it isn't. Yes folks there are some variations on old ideas, but I love having variations in the back of mind. Just because something is a variation of an existing trick doesn't make it bad. Just having the alternative variations in the back of my mind is worth the read.

Obviously the book doesn't detail the directions as I do, but I do appreciate the fact, the directions are short and to the point. I can quickly read an item and know if I am going to use it in a few seconds.

In all fairness, there are some so-so effects, but there are also some real gems. I love the card change. The effect where a card is dropped to the floor and then a selected card changes to a card saying: LOOK ON THE FLOOR and the selected card is seen there is worth the price of the book. I've been practicing this and will use it in my strolling work in a few weeks. I will take some practice to get it down pat.

The visible card restore is a gem, as part of a torn card routine, two piece are thrown into the air and the visibly melt together. I haven't made this up yet, but it sounds very practical and would be a very visual effect.

Many times we fall into the trap of dismissing a work because it contains some variations or some existing ideas. We often fail to realize that not everyone has a huge library or has read this idea in another book. Granted WELL READ magicians will not get a lot out of this, but they will find useful variations.

However, if you are not well read, then you will find many of the ideas are all in this one book. He does give credit to where he got the original idea.

As far as the quality of the publication, well the print quality isn't the greatest, and it's not really a book, its a manuscript put in a plastic binder. That aside you will find this to be a interesting read.

Perhaps a little pricey for what you get, but the money is going to charity so I'll make an allowance for this. Although not the greatest magic book in the world, this FAR from being the worst. I found many useful ideas and some I will incorporate into my performances.

Recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Half baked book review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL