The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Second Storm: The Close-Up Magic of John Guastaferro FINALLY! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
I will try to explain what I think about this set, I read some good opinions, and some regular opinions, but at this time I not only watched the Set, I rewatched several times the performance and explanation seccions, I performed almost all the material, I studied step by step all the effects and I think the set is better than Brainstorm Set.

volume 1
Quick Draw — Great visual opener using nothing more than a pencil and finger ring. The magician give a pencil to a spectator and ask her to draw a circle in his palm, after a magic pass a ring appear in the hand, then dissapear, and at the end also penetrate the pencil, is a very funny routine that uses simple methods, John also use a sleight I saw in on the spot dvd where the pencil dessapear and appear in the magicians ear
Tricycle Cards — Four “baby jokers” become all grown up in this charming packet trick. This is the Jumping Gemini effect with a better patter, I also love the new count performed by John (a subtitute of the flustration count, is more deceptive and also more elegant) great effect
Teeter Totter Aces — The spectators help find the four Aces with the push of a finger. This effect is amazing, why? because is direct, the audience participate during the performance and the spectator do the magic, is also a great effect because you will end prepared to perform the master routine "FAMOUS ACES"
Famous Aces — John reveals his stunning Ace assembly, where the Aces completely vanish from their packets and reunite inside the card box. This is not a great effect, is AMAZING!!!, he fooled my totally and the concept to load the aces in the cardbox is pure genious, I first think he use some kind of gaffed thin aces with some kind of sticky stuff (How can by possible to insert only one ace in a clearly empty card box and latter appear 4 aces inside???) jajajajaja the method is terrific, and don't worry, all the aces that you remove from the card box at the end of the effect are normal).
Jokers To Go — Two Jokers inside the card box change places with the spectator’s card. This effect is simple but amazing and as usually, Jonh begin with a effect that is cool for the audience, but the effect is not over, the second part is better and the end is amazing!!
Remote Possibilities — A 52-on-1 card is used as a TV remote to locate the spectator's selection. A clever take on the ambitious card plot, with a surprise finish. I love this one, he fooled me again at the end, is an ambitious card routine with a kicker ending.
Fair Trade — The four Aces demonstrate their mind-reading ability, then transpose with the four Kings. Symple magic hits hard, this effect is similar to intuition from Brain Storm, but more audience participation.
QuickPocket — The signed Kings are placed in four different pockets, then instantly change places with the spectator's signed Aces. This effect is great, a four signed card transposition but in the fairness way. I love it, and audience love it more!!
The Eerie Truth — A random card is selected using a few rolls of the dice. After showing that your written prediction matches the selected card, the magician show that the chossen card never exist (transform the chossen card to a blank card) but the dots of the dices also desappear, and you know what, how the spectator select a random card shooting the dices if the deck is also completely blank?
Another amazing routine!!!!!

BONUS: Vino Aces — John’s “Vino Aces” is a spectacular presentation piece based on the classic “MacDonald's Aces.” Perfect for both close-up and parlor settings, this is a master piece, is elegant, charming and magical.

BRAINSTORM BREAKS Bonus ideas and effects
Cigarette Pack to Cards — A quick, visual opener where a pack of cigarettes instantly transforms into a deck of cards.
The Stress Test — An ingenious card revelation using a stress test card.
Trans-Pocket Switch — Show a card in your pocket before it’s actually there. This simple, yet deceptive switch has several clever applications.

I also want to share that the explanation seccion is better than the brainstorm, he credit all the effects perfectly, give alternative handlings, I want to thank John for release this set, Is pure gold!....

Alejandro
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
Volume 2
East Meets West — A half-dollar and Chinese coin repeatedly travel and change places in this multi-phase coin routine, I love coin magic, and this routine is amazing, The routine begin with a double coin production (one at a time) I love one phase in this routine where the coins change places in the fairness way, one coin is placed under a bussines card and the other one in the hand, and at the end the chinese coin disapper and reappear in an impossible location.
Optical Opener — The spectator finds the only printed card in a completely blank deck. But just like an optical illusion, things aren't always what they seem. You can see this effect in the demo, I like this effect because is a blend of magic, and mentalism and you willend clean. The method is relatively obvious for a magician but I perform for lay people and they love it.
Here, There, Everywhere — The spectator’s card is seen in several places at the same time, finally appearing in a mysterious location. The magician place a mystery card in the table, and the spectator select a card from the deck, tha card is located in different parts of the deck (4 times). at the end the 4 cards transform into the 4 aces and the mystery card is the selected card. Very similar to No Jokers allowed from Brain Storm set, one of my favorites effects.
Collectors With A Twist — The spectator slowly cuts the four Aces into the deck. First they turn face-up, then they capture three selected cards. A great twist on a classic effect.
Constellation — The spectator marks dots on your business card, which VISUALLY reposition themselves to reveal a selected card. A wonderful close-up illusion.
This effect is amazing, you need to perform this effect in order to know how strong is for laymen (Girls love it!)
The Masterpiece — The magician tells a story about four artists and a blank canvas in this imaginative packet effect, which utilizes Peter Eggink’s “Ace Oddity” card. This effect is amazing, 5 cards are shown (One blue back card with a blank face) and the four aces, one by one the ink of each ace dissapear, and at the end the ink of each ace reappear in the blank face card.
Googly Eyes — The spectator finds her card by doing a Google search with the deck. A novel spelling effect with a surprise kicker. I love this one, and this will´prepare you for the next effect.
Turning The Tables — The spectator plays the role of magician and finds the four Jacks without a clue how it was done! This novel presentation builds to a spectacular finish. This is the fairness way to place four cards in different parts of the deck and magically appear the cards at the top of the deck, the effect have a lot of audience participation and the end is a real kicker!!
Ultimate Fate II — In this extension of Aldo Colombini’s “Contact Colors,” the spectator plays the lottery by placing her dollar in the deck. Her luck keeps on riding to a million-dollar ending! This is my favorite effect on this set, a reputation maker, and almost self working effect.

BRAINSTORM BREAKS
Bonus ideas and effects
Cookie's Fortune — Learn John's clever method for pre-loading a bill in a fortune cookie.
Matchbook Transpo — A quick in-the-hands transposition.
Fortune Flash — A clever way to turn flash paper into a logical and visually-interesting prop.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Dear fellow card workers and John's fans,

If you wish to watch John's Famous Aces, as in Second Storm Volume 1, John has uploaded a demo video on YouTube. Here is the link:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-6fi5T5RA

Hope another "Storm" will strike the magic community in near future.

Sam
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Second Storm has a lot of very commercial usable magic. I am really enjoying it so far... Also, did anyone else notice the denim skirt on the woman sitting on the right side of the table? Yowza -- that is a short skirt -- and she didn't do much to conceal what was underneath. The camera work made me feel a bit like a voyeur. No complaints here -- I just found it amusing.

Kevin
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Also -- does anyone have any idea why these DVDs were recorded in widescreen format but delivered on 4:3 (e.g. non-anamorphic 16:9 widescreen) DVDs? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Kevin
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Quote:
On 2007-09-26 22:37, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

Jokers To Go is awesome. It didn't get as great a reaction from the audience as it should have as I think John's plot was confusing. Also, he didn't have the card signed. Signed cards that appear in an impossible place/change places get better reactions. But, the method is killer.

Agreed -- I preferred the original straighforward presentation as written in his Second Storm lecture notes to the "Trick-Off" presentation used on the DVD.

Interesting point that the effect could be improved by having the card signed -- what method would you use to have the card selected and signed and then switched out to the table (all while ensuring the magician never sees the face of the card)? There are several easy solutions for this if you are allowed to place the signed card face up on the deck. I suppose you could do a top c****e but what would be the presentational motivation to take the card back only to put it back on the table?

Kevin
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Hey Kevin,

Re: "Jokers To Go," there are a few handling improvements on the DVDs compared to the original notes. I'm sure you'll come up with a presentation that fits you.

My latest (and most favorite) iteration of the effect is what I call "In the Doghouse." It features completely new presentation and includes a cool visual moment before the transposition is revealed. It's included free with DVD orders through my site and will also be in my upcoming lecture notes, "G NOTES."

Best Regards and Happy New Year,
John

P.S. I'm not sure what was more distracting about the girl on my right, her attire or her clanging bracelets. Her response in "Vino Aces" was classic...absolutely priceless. Fun shoot.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of JohnG
For those who have the Second Storm DVDs, my new set of notes (G NOTES) includes: "In The Doghouse," the cool version of "Jokers To Go;" a new vanish for "Vino Aces;" a new application for the "Trans-Pocket Switch;" plus some brand new material. "Homage to Homing" is getting some great reactions. There's a preview available on my site.

John G
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
144 Posts

Profile of magicdano
I saw John lecture last year and it was one of the best.If you live in So Cal, try and find a club when he will lecture and run to the meeting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Second Storm: The Close-Up Magic of John Guastaferro FINALLY! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL