The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magicians who Served (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
380 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Just curious in hearing about magicians that served in the Armed Forces. I'm Active Duty Air Force, and when stationed in Vegas, I spoke with both Don Alan and Johnny Paul, and was surprised to learn that they had been in the Air Force. (Before that all I could brag about was Chuck Norris and Sinbhad.) I also know that Denny Haney was a linguist in Vietnam (Same job I do...different language)f I'm sure there are many more. Any info would be great!
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Milbourne Christopher was one. So was John Mulholland (a spy!!!). Gene Pronk also was in the service. If you can get hold of some copies of Hugard's Magic Monthly, it will give you a rundown on the magicians who were serving.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Will Rock served in the Army. I got to know Will and his wife Ruth thru his daughter Gretchen who was a business associate of my wife. Will told me about a new version of "Sawing A Woman In Half" he had worked out and was almost set to do at one of the bases, but the Base C.O. got wind of it and nixed the idea. Will was going to cut the box in half with a .30 calber machinegun!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No big deal, but at 18 I was drafted into the Army during the Korean conflict, but magic saved my life as I was shipped to Germany to work in the G2 and do shows.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1449 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
As with Pete above...

No big deal but I served for 15 years in the Royal Air Force.
"But there isn't a door"
steve ehlers
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson AZ
286 Posts

Profile of steve ehlers
I retired from the Air Force in 2002. I was stationed with Jack Carpenter from 1974 - 1980 at Plattsburgh AFB, in upstate NY. Jason England is still on active duty in the Air Force.

Best wishes,

Steve
Cotham
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Cotham
Thaddeus Sobieski Coulincourt Lowe (1823−1913) was a magician who was one of the pioneers of flying hot air balloons in military service. He used his balloon on behalf of the US Army during the Civil War. I guess in theory he was one of the first unofficial members of the US Air Force.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
The British magician Jasper Maskelyne not only served in WWII, he directed a unit whose job it was to confuse and trick the enemy through the use of camouflage and illusion.

The story is told in David Fisher's book "The War Magician," which is now out of print. But plenty of copies are available on the Advanced Book Exchange, click HERE to view. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Denny Haney of Denny & Lee served in Vietnam, and has some stories from the time. I was in the Army from 1975 to 1978, which according to the Army makes me a technically a "Vietnam Era" veteran, although this was actually after the war.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Sewart James, one of magics true greats developed new card effects (many of which are considered classics today) while sitting in the mudholes of Europe.
He was a magician in a small troupe of Armed Forces performers that entertained anywhere they were sent, which was pretty much anywhere soldiers gathered in the field.
He was at times only a couple of miles from the fighting while performing.

James mentions that his ability to completely detach from surrounding events and focus his mind solely on magic helped keep him sane in WWII.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The "t" vanished, should read "Stewart".
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Of course, Richard Pitchford, known professionally as Cardini, served in the trenches in WWI, where he learned to do card manipulation while wearing gloves.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I posted this elsewhere...

My dad was drafted as a Chinese citizen for WWII for the US Army.

He got his medals, 60 years later, this past April.

You can read my short story that was published on Ken Burn's "The War" site:
http://www.wttw.com/share_story.html?pag......51&ext=0

And the front page story that ran in the paper in September here:
http://nwherald.com/articles/2007/09/07/......9238.txt

Links are always at my website.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Jim Swoger served in the army.
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Barrows Mussey, whose nome de plume was Henry Hay, was a Marine in the Pacific during World War II.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
My dad served in WWII and Korea. He did magic on an amateur basis but was a professional ham. My husband served in Kosovo and Germany and he knows a magic trick or two, plus he is married to a magician...

To those who have served (and to those who served and said: "no big deal")...
THANKS for your service! It really is a big deal.
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
4 years in military intelligence (yes I know its a top 100 oxymoron) with the army here.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I didn't see Allan Ackerman's name on this list and I'm pretty sure he served for a while. I'm serving right now, hence my in New Mexico. I've met a few hobbyists in the four years that I've been it. Actually, there were three of us in my Basic Training Flight.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
David Ginn was in the army for two years untill he started getting reconized in our field of magic.
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Proudly served with the Marines during Vietnam.Being part and earning the title of US Marine is never forgotten.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Magicians who Served (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL