The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The business of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I've been reading the views on the 'part time v full time' thread and it set me wondering what sources of reference there were on the business side of magic. ie. I if I make the decision to go full time where can I find straetgies, business plans advice etc which pertain specifically to magic.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
There are resources like Jim Snack's "Success In Magic" two volume set. Lots of good business info in there specifically tailored to magicians.

Julian Franklin has some excellent resources for this as well. Check his website out for more details.

Much of what you will find out there is merely good business practices and marketing strategies that have been repackaged for the magic market. Of course you pay for that re-packaging. You might do well to go to your local bookstore and browse the business sections to see what's out there.

Many times I think magicians get stuck in the "magic mode". We need to get outside of that arena and broaden our scope of the world. That's what successful business people do. That's what Jim Snack and Julian Franklin do, and that is why they bring so much good business sense back to the magic world.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
If I were a self-promoting opportunist (mind you, I said "if") I could recommend my DVD "Birthday Party Business" (see website link in my signature line).

But I heartily agree with Scott O, just above, about getting stuck in "magic mode."

The US Small Business Administration has an online resource for developing a business plan HERE and American Express has another HERE
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I would recommend learning about running a small business. Being a magician is no different (as a business) than many other small business.

Generating business, having a good product, sales and marketing, taxes and expenses, investment and strategy, are all the same across the board and there is a TON of material out there about starting and running a small business.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
If you poke around in the "Tricky Business" forum, six slots down from here, you'll find tons of resources and advice.

If you do (or want to do) anything with day cares, you must order the following book immediately:

http://www.pinebeltmagic.com/daycaremagicianbook.htm

It's written by Café member Tom Boleware, and it's the best intro to the field.
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
Thanks for the advice everyone.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Check out my new lecture ""how to make a six figure income doing kid shows". on my web site

Ken
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 07:34, kenscott wrote:
Check out my new lecture ""how to make a six figure income doing kid shows". on my web site

Ken

Ken,

Is there info in the notes that isn't on the cd lecture? I ordered the Kidabra cd package, and was under the impression that your lecture was included. They said it should be here any day now. Looking forward to hearing it.

Brian
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I think it is included but my notes are not included.

Ken
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12242 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-09-06 07:34, kenscott wrote:

Ken

Can't you just say real quick. Com'n we're all magicians! Smile

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've a brilliant idea.... I'm going to do a booklet called "Making Six Figures in Balloon Twisting" and charge a couple hundred bucks for it but all it will be is six balloon doggie instructions! I'm gonna make bucks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The business of magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL