We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Recommended Books for Beginners thread? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaime
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Jaime
Hello all,

I was wondering if you think it would be a good idea to have a sticky thread at the top of the forum, an equivalent of Recommended Books for Beginners but for mentalism?

I have spent a lot of time reading a LOT of threads on this forum, all extremely helpful, and have just ordered 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda. But it's not necessarily easy searching for that information (try a search for "Books" in "Penny for your thoughts" and mainly book test threads come up).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Just give it time for 13 Steps to arrive, it is worth the wait. If you want to learn mentalism, that is the right book to start.

Another good book for a beginner is Practical Mental Magic by Theodore Annemann.

Thank you for the recommendation Jamie.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I feel that seekers should have to ask questions and inquire instead of having it handed to them on a silver platter!

Think about it . . . anyone with 0 posts could then venture in here, read the thread, spend a few bucks and have near instant access to many of our trade secrets. If they are curious enough, interested enough, they can ask proper questions just like everyone else.

If one does their work and homework, they MIGHT deserve it and give these tools and concepts a good home and serious consideration. I'm not about to give out the most valuable resources that took me years to track down, collect and incorporate myself.

I trust I am not alone in this???

J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
human
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of human
Jaime,

Do a Google search.

That'll help.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Jaime,

I do not offer help blindly. It would depend on a conversation with the person, among other things; past history and background/experience with magic, motivation for delving into mentalism, and an evaluation regarding if they were mature enough, experienced enough and ready for serious recommendations.

I'm not opposed to offering assistance. I try to help, aid or assist someone on these boards everyday. At the same time, I am not opposed to the questions, even if they do go unanswered or guided elsewhere. I would rather that than a sticky thread revealing the tomes and stepping stones; the literal foundations of this art, free for all to see -

What ever happened to trade secrets??? These things are on a need to know basis, not to be posted in ignorance and for the sake of convenience for those who are too lazy to do the work.

J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
human
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of human
My experience:

I started out with nothing. I have no idea what would it take me to from the beginning. All I did was try to explore about the art as much as I can via Google, checked out magic stores online in their mentalism categories, read feedbacks from customers who bought the product, decide what would I get, learn from my failures.

But the most important thing to me is read as much as you can. THey'll give you a panorama view on the art itself. When you have some stable knowledge, you'll look at things differently thru your magical eyes and you are equipped enough to start on your own .
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
My two favorites are Practical Mental Magic by T. Annemann and Fundamentals by Bob Cassidy.
Jaime
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Jaime
OK TT2, totally understand your opinion, makes a lot of sense. Thanks for being patient and answering my questions!

As for myself, well I started seeing a few things by David Blaine on TV, never gave it much thought... then lately for some reason I was looking up card magic on YouTube and ended up seeing some Criss Angel videos. OK, a little better already. Then I discovered Derren Brown, and that's when my world was turned upside down. I googled everything I could find, found this forum, registered, read as many threads I could, and bought "Mark Wilson’s Complete Course In Magic" at the same time I ordered Derren Brown's dpb DVD. I love them both and learned so much from both. What stroke me was how many of the tricks that appear simple in Mark Wilson's book were actually used by Derren Brown, but always with a twist.

Anyway, I am really happy I have found the Café, and I am learning a little bit every day.

My next book will most probably be Practical Mental Magic.. but first I want to read 13 steps.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Jamie try posting your suggestion in the I want to see the manager section. I think a sticky posting in each forum of pertinent basic texts is a great idea. There are about 10 new posts a week asking the same question. I'm sure Steve and company would seriously consider the suggestion.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Recommended Books for Beginners thread? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL