The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Upright Sword Cabinet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Hey Café Gang,
Just curious, has anyone built/performed this Illusion from Tarbell, seems like it would be a good build at home Illusion, similair to Burton's Cane Cabinet Illusion without the Switch. I remember seeing this Illusion in Landis & Co's Great Vaudeville Magic show, and have always wanted to add it to my repertoire. Any thoughts as how this would compare to a regular sword box or a temple?

Thanks for your insight

~AC
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I saw a guy named Stan Kramer do this back in teh early 80's and it KILLED.. the swords were so close together... the secret is to put the assistant in clothes that aren't too tight..

a little loose clothing will really fill up the cabient.

The other secret is to make the back holes a bit too big.. so there's way less fiddling with the swords when putting them in.

YOu can cover up the back holes from the inside with neoprene cut into a star to keep the audinece from peeking in.. but having these back holes a bit bigger saves a ton of time.. and keeps the magician from looking like a doof when he's putting the swords "magically" through the assistant.

in many ways it's better than the sword box or temple.. becaue it's a true penetration or escape from harm illusion.. rather than a vanish.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The performer's name was Stan Kramien and his show was called Magic-Capades. I bought the show from him and had the Sword Cabinet repainted and it was a regular feature in the show. It's a great illusion for lay people as it just appears that there can't be room for a person anywhere in the cabinet. It can be done close to the audience, and surrounded.

There is, of course, much more to the secret than loose fitting clothing.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
Makeupguy:

Perhaps Bob Kramer?
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Stan Kramien is from the Portland, Oregon area. He's still alive but not actively performing. I know he had an upright sword cabinet because I bought Kramien's show and used the Sword Cabinet. Bob Kramer (and Judy) was from the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. As I was from near there, I saw him perform many times. He did a nice Zig Zag, and Cremation Illusion, but I don't recall that he had an upright Sword Cabinet. It's possible.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think Kramer did it... or someone with a similar name and it was TERRIFIC.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I saw Bob Kramer do it, and it was in his promotional materials. It definitely got the audience reaction!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You/'re right.. it was Bob Kramer.. a rather round bald headed guy who was SOO nice..

the night I saw him.. his opening illusion (a lions bride type of Illusion minus the cat) didn't' work.. and the assistant was still behind the flap when the cloth was pulled.. the prop was whisked backstage and he announced over the mic.. "that was Abbots Quality Magic".. he knew there was a large throng of magivcians from the local magic club in the audience..

Ithought it was hysterical then.. and now.. over 20 years later!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Wasn't Bob Kramer's a sword and blade box???

Osborne published plans in Genii awhile back for a great sword/blade box. (Noma, I think??)

The nice thing about a tall unit is that is can be worked on a dance floor and more folks can see it, unlike a Temple or Swordbox.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 11:33, Blair Marshall wrote:
Wasn't Bob Kramer's a sword and blade box???

There weren't any blades, other than swords, in the cabinet that I saw Bob Kramer use. At least, I'm pretty sure that swords were used, in place of canes - the design was essentially the same as in Tarbell. Maybe, I can locate the poster/brochure sometime, soon.
Carl Jarboe
View Profile
New user
Detroit, Michigan USA
12 Posts

Profile of Carl Jarboe
Bob Kramer and Judy did perform the upright sword cabinet. You can see a picture of them and the cabinet from Abbott's 1970 Get together at http://www.magicgettogether.com/galleryh......ery.html

I recently sat Jerry Herzog perform this effect in Mt. Clemens, MI and it brought back great memories of this fine illusion.
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Here is Kramer & co doing the sword cabinet. Starts at :39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-67wlF8P2pg
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
103 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
Look at that, Carl made it to the Café on Cinco de Drinko. Good to see you your honor. I've witnessed Kramer doing his sword cabinet a few times live. He moved pretty well for a big guy.
Carl Jarboe
View Profile
New user
Detroit, Michigan USA
12 Posts

Profile of Carl Jarboe
Thank you, Craig, for posting that video. This is the Sword Cabinet done right. The Burned Alive was good to see as well.

Mike, you are right, he moves well.

So when did Kramer go to Bob Kramer & Co. (as stated in the video) from Bob Kramer & Judy? I hired them to perform at the Genesee Valley Shopping Center in Flint, Michigan as part of a package of magicians in a ten-day magic show in 1970. They were Bob Kramer & Judy at that time.

In addition to the two illusions mentioned, they produced a duck out of a large duck pan. The duck had to take a leak right at the moment of production. It was like he had hooked up a hose.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, Carl Jarboe wrote:
So when did Kramer go to Bob Kramer & Co. (as stated in the video) from Bob Kramer & Judy?

I saw Bob at The Illinois State Fair in the mid seventies and he was billed as Kramer & Company. I remember how impressed I was with his stage presence and how nice of a guy he was.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Upright Sword Cabinet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL