The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball & Vase Question (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Clip does not load for me on a G4 Mac. Others?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
At least in this case, doing something amazing with the same (heh heh) cheapo plastic set everybody's seen & dismissed is way more impressive than doing anything with a fancy prop that's obviously made specially for performers.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 10:29, misterbill wrote:
I found a nice wooden ball vase made in India for $20. It included a wooden vase, wooden ball, hollow ball, silk, and sponge ball. It also had a nice routine that used all those items.

Yes! I have the exact same thing! Well, the difference is, no sponge ball, but TWO silks, one that can hide in the stem. The silks' color matches the wooden balls PERFECTLY, and everything is beautifully made! I also have two other ball/vase sets from the same manufacturer, each slightly different in design. Paid $20 each.

What a deal! As decorations, they are VERY nice, and when someone asks what they are...heh heh hehhh, "..ah yess, my dear...step right over here..."

Great thread, guys!

Doug
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
For the most part, people have assumed that this is a dumb trick. With practice, even the people who know how it's done can be tricked. Where are there any good videos on a professional routine of this?
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Hello Joey,- there is a link earlier on in this thread for 'Stones of Tutankamun' which appears to be a good solid professional routine. According to Pabloinus Brian Cook also has a Gallo version on Youtube. I shall have a look there myself.

It would I agree be helpful if someone was able to find a direct link to a demo for another routine so that we could make a comparison. Anything by Mike Skinner or Mike Gallo perhaps using a plastic ball and vase would be helpful?

For me it is the quality of the routine (and how well the magician presents it) that ultimately counts. The question as to whether the ball and vase is woodern or plastic is I admit less important.However all things being equal my subjective preference would be always to go for the better quality item (as long as it does not cost an arm and a leg!)

With best wishes. Andy.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Look on youtube under vase ball, there are 2 routines, Gallo's and Brian Cook's using a ball and vase. Also Tom Frank is his blog page (search in the Café for him)has a routine

Hope this helps
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Ed Marlo's version with a cheap set in Arcade Dreams is very interesting!
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
I have owned every type of ball & vase you can think of. Some made of wood, some of metal, and quite a few formed from plastic.

There are three things that make for a good ball & vase ... fuctionality (is the lid to loose, or worse, does it stick), deceptiveness (does the vase look the same when you show the shell as when you show the actual ball), and aesthetic appeal.

Of all the vases that I've had, the only one that rates high in all three catagories, is the $2 plastic Adams ball & vase.

And here is a tip you may want to try ... paint the vase!

You can paint the vase metallic gold or silver and it will appear to be made of metal. You can paint it mustard yellow and it will resemble the old turn of the century Conradi vases. My favorite is to paint the red vase red! Sounds silly, but is gives the vase a different appearance.

And here are some tips on painting a vase ...
Lightly sand off the burrs from the plastic. Spray the vase with a light coating of white sandable primer. When this dries, don't sand it, but instead polish it with a cloth. This creates a smooth surface to which you apply the paint (spray paint works best).

I also use the same process to paint the balls. I even go so far as to remove the shell from the base and paint it too (it's a metal shell glued to the base. This is part of the vase's deceptive look. Most vases just have the dome of the vase painted the color of the ball.)

Paint one of the balls white, and your all set to do the Skinner routine.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I've loved The Ball and Vase since childhood. To me, it is almost as much of a rite of passage to magicians as the infamous Cups and Balls. The magician performing Stones of Tutankamun is Doug Gorman, a personal friend of mine. I am the creator of his website and the video streams from our server. The Ball Vases he is using we're created by James Riser. Personally, I prefer ball shells because the perception of the impossible can be achieved. In my professional routine, the shell is stolen at the conclusion of my performance, which I believe fries those in the know even more so than the lay people themselves.
happyslappys
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of happyslappys
The first link is a cheaper, childish set. I would recommend a nicer version.
Best of Luck!
PickMagic
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of PickMagic
Where does one find a good wood set?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
What a nice routine...Thanks for the link Walt.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Another option, if you like the nicer sets, is to get one that uses a golfball. Duplicate balls are pretty easy to find, in a variety of colors.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
This set seems pretty nice for the price. Comes with a silk, and soft ball.

http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant......ry_Code=
Philp
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Philp
I recently purchased the set described by taller8. It is identical to the set shown on the link and there is no soft ball. I needed to do a small amount of remedial work on the ***ll as it had been overpainted in areas, which spoiled the illusion, otherwise this was a great buy and is real fun to work.

Philip
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Anyone seen the ball(?) and vase routine from Charlie Frye and his Eccentricks line of DVDs? I really enjoyed the routine as well as the thought he has put into such a 'simple kids toy'. Heres a YouTube link to a performance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8JA8ZgQm38

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there, I just saw this thread...glad some of you like the routine I do with the ballvase.
Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Anemoi
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, MA
53 Posts

Profile of Anemoi
Here is a wonderful routine by Jason Maher:
https://youtube.com/shorts/oNWBeY6dTpE?feature=shared
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Using a silk vase to produce a wand looks really good in this video.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball & Vase Question (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL