The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Very Silly Billy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"I've see reference to what could be considered "noise" (the polite reference to a fart) such as air coming out of a balloon., "Who did that!" The kids loved it."

Ofcourse the kids loved it, Dennis! But that does not make it appropiate. I am sure older children would love to see magic acts where the female assistant takes off her clothes. That does not mean it is appropriate. From my point of view it is a cheap laugh, and really rather sad. I would rather children saw quality entertainment.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I agree with Mr. Riddle up to a point. I specialize in shows for children 7 and under so I use Mr. Rogers as my guide. If he wouldn't have done it, I won't include it. That said, I don't believe that a modest level of mild potty humor such as employing a whoopie cushion, burping a balloon or referring to under-things in the presence of middle school children and older is inappropriate if it's done in character and in relatively good taste. These same older kids are fluent in the goings-on of the Southpark characters, the Simpsons, the Jackass movies and worse (If there can be anything worse.) They're very familiar with games about stealing cars, murdering gang members and killing a vast variety of intergalactic species and beings. It's simple marketing - what kid aged 10 and older wants a Kiddie Magician?

It isn't my taste, style or market so I avoid it, but I can certainly see why others who cater to this market spice their act up with a bit of trash humor.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Laughing at farting is a universally funny. I've seen people from every culture laugh at the expense of passing gas, from Siberia to the isolated tribes of the Amazon.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh Skip...don't be a Mr. Rogers magician... so sad. Again, in the book it clearly states that David understands not everything he does is for everyone, problem is not all of you seem to understand that what David does ins't for everyone.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 19:27, MagicSanta wrote:
Oh Skip...don't be a Mr. Rogers magician... so sad. Again, in the book it clearly states that David understands not everything he does is for everyone, problem is not all of you seem to understand that what David does ins't for everyone.

Agreed. There is a world of difference between deciding not to do something in your show and deciding that some one shouldn't do it in theirs
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I'm sure David has enough experience to determine what each audience will be able to tolerate and find enjoyable. Comedians have always walked that thin line between what is appropriate and what is not. Right or wrong, Disney has made a fortune with fart jokes and their British accented Shrek.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 20:46, derrick wrote:
Right or wrong, Disney has made a fortune with fart jokes and their British accented Shrek.

Actually Shrek is a DreamWorks property, not Disney.

Also Shrek's accent is Scottish, not British.
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I find Vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder.

Some examples,

I was told at a show that NO blue or toilet humour was allowed. I removed the one or two bottom jokes in my kid's show ("sit on your bottom...make sure that it is YOUR bottom because you can't sit on someone elses") to make the squeaky clean act they want. Then the MC performed all sorts of lewd, rube and dirty jokes! What the client had REALLY meant was "No swearing" .

When I do my straight jacket escape for adults I say "Now we have a problem...I have to get this head, through THAT hole [in my arms]. I don't know if you have noticed but I have a BIG head and that is a SMALL hole." One audience member commented on how risqué the joke was! I don't get it?!!?!

Finally, I used to do a comedy juggling routine in which the I would juggle without the balls. The kids would ALWAYS yell out "YOU'VE GOT NO BALLS!" which I failed to see as dirty. Once it was pointed out to me I realised that, yes, it had a double meaning and I was embarrassed. However, not one adult every complained about the joke. (I dumped the gag because I'd go pink when the kid's yelled out the line.)

Silly Billy does humour which many people would find offensive. There is no set worldwide moral standard and no way to really test an audience before hand.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Also Shrek's accent is Scottish, not British."

On a point of information, British and Scottish are the same. Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland, and Wales with the add on of Northern Ireland. The Scottish are British, although many of them wish they were not!
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Quote:
ScottO wrote:
what the initial couple of posts are talking about is the structure or house. That's what the behavior is. But what is the foundation? If we truly recognize these things as inappropriate, WHY? Why are they inappropriate? What do we base that judgment on? You see if the foundation is shaky, then so will the building put up on it.

Quote:
Tom Riddle wrote:
Scott. I believe the first time a child sees a magic show, this is part of their foundation. If they see someone putting a nappy over their head, picking their nose, or telling fart jokes, they will take note and believe it is acceptable behavior. It is not. In my view, this is not debatable.

Tom, I agree with you. But why is it not acceptable behaviour? I believe Nicholas makes a very critical point in the following quote.

Quote:
Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
There is no set worldwide moral standard and no way to really test an audience before hand.

The standard is what I was referring to with the foundation analogy.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2007-09-08 00:52, Tom Riddle wrote:
"Also Shrek's accent is Scottish, not British."

On a point of information, British and Scottish are the same. Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland, and Wales with the add on of Northern Ireland. The Scottish are British, although many of them wish they were not!

Technically & Historically I quess you may be correct.

However listening to a Scottish & British accent, they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

To an American ear, Shrek has what we know as a Scottish accent.
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

Chubby Harris
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Chubby Harris
My magic word is "Nikinakinoo", to which I will say to the kids, "Who said I need to have a poo?"..been using this gag for ages, and NEVER had any bother with it at all.
My "Magic lollipops" (Via Dove pan) routine, for the ingrediants, I use a cotton bud with ear wax on it,a tissue that I have blown my nose on, again, I have NEVER had any problems, having said that, I guess it all depends on what type of audience you are playing to, there are some areas in my town, where yes indeed, that type of humour would get me shot....
"Believe in the Magic of your dreams"
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"However listening to a Scottish & British accent, they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!"

Frank, dear chap, I think you are confusing the word "British" with "English". There is no such thing as a British accent. A fellow from Wales and Scotland sounds completely different to a fellow from Liverpool or Yorkshire. However, they are all British and ruled by Her majesty the Queen.

Chelsea, UK
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I knew that Lord Riddle.....
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
So noted.

Thanks for the clarification.

Class is now dismissed.

Frank Thurston

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
1066 Frank....1066
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-09-08 01:44, Tom Riddle wrote:
However, they are all British and ruled by Her majesty the Queen.

And what a fine job she does as well. As a subject of the commonwealth and a subject of Her majesty the Queen, let me just say that she has a most wonderful job of ruling us. The way in which she...err...ah...um...does stuff like...err.

Well, she has lovely manners.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Hence the very reason for Australia....
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Well, she has lovely manners"

Yes she has, Nicholas. She is a wonderful lady. She has helped elevate the image many had of all Australians being scoundrals and the descendants of convicts. The motto of Winchester College is "Manners Maketh Man." I think my new motto will be "Vulgarity maketh a second rate children's entertainer".

Chelsea, UK
AshleyW
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of AshleyW
If Silly Billy is a 2nd rate performer to you, then so be it.
I think he's an awesome performer and a novel thinker.

Why are we so concerned about what someone else is doing? Let's just all have our opinions & leave some FREEDOM in creating an act. Let's stop trying to convince each other what is right or wrong. Why didn't someone correct Picasso when he painted people's eyes all weird? Because it was "art". In that respect, do you contend magic is art, or is it a stringent statistical fact?

Let's leave it an ever-changing art. For the key to magic is mystery, & who knows what is next?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Very Silly Billy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL