The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Very Silly Billy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"All I am hearing here, is jealousy on how well David Kaye is doing. That's childish."

Ashley. I see no evidence here of jealosy. Please be so kind as to explain?
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Jealousy may not be the right word, Tom, however, any author of children entertainment is subject to ridicule in this section, and generally it is from those who are not published. What is interesting is the focus on one or two small parts of David Kaye's book, in a negative way.

New York City is "another world" from the rest of the country. Anything goes, and if you want to talk about the 15,000 special interest groups in the "Americans with Disabilities Act", it would not be surprising if 14,999 of them live there.

There are definite differences in the USA, UK and NYC, in the way people act, think and perform. Clearly, what one likes and dislike is related to culture, social settings, education, and a variety of other factors.

When an entertainer in this business publishes a book, makes a DVD, or does speaking tours, there will always be those negative pot-shooters trying to knock that individual down several pegs, or at least try to elevate themselves above that person. The truly respected individual is that person who can recognize the artistic talent, understand the written word, and assimilate and understand what the author is trying to get across to the readers/listeners. Not everything in a magic book is acceptable to everyone. Especially a children's book. Just look at the way others raise their children, there are lots of different approaches to that and the parents think what they are doing is right.

What I don't see here are threads, three pages long focused on David Kaye's excellent "Coloring Book Routine", or his excellent "Crystal Tube Routine", or his psychology of the child, as well as a dozen or so very good topics.

We have here three pages of "fart" information without an agreed on solution, other than let the entertainer use that expression or reference at his own risk. Another thread deals with the "diaper on head" comedy bit (Lets not go there), which as was stated earlier, is not for everyone.

David has traveled the world so he must be doing something right. Why can't people focus on the good topics and evaluate the psychology behind why it works? It would be far more educational than this topic.
Dennis Michael
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Well said Dennis.

ken
MikeBent
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, MA
174 Posts

Profile of MikeBent
Has anyone watch ANYTHING on the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon in the last 10 years? Like it or not, that's what kids watch. Is Silly doing anything different from what those shows do? I really don't think so.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 15:40, kimmo wrote:

In similar fashion, I suspect that it would be ok to playfully ask a young girl assistant to 'shake her fanny' in America, wheras in England you could probably expect a visit from the police!!

ROFLMFO!!!!!!!!! Yeah, on that topic, in the U.S. "fanny" refers to your "bum" and ...er... NOT what it refers to in the U.K.

I also want to point out that people from the U.K. can say the word "Bottom" and make it sound quite vulgar in a VERY funny but not offensive way to the indelicate North American palate. Rowan Atkinson is the master of the proper "bottom" pronunciation.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 18:41, Tom Riddle wrote:
"I've see reference to what could be considered "noise" (the polite reference to a fart) such as air coming out of a balloon., "Who did that!" The kids loved it."

Ofcourse the kids loved it, Dennis! But that does not make it appropriate. I am sure older children would love to see magic acts where the female assistant takes off her clothes. That does not mean it is appropriate. From my point of view it is a cheap laugh, and really rather sad. I would rather children saw quality entertainment.

There is a very well respected U.K. children's entertainer who does this in every show! The balloon makes the noise, he looks at the audience with a VERY embarrassed look on his face, pauses for effect and when all is quiet he sweetly says, "Pardon.". IT IS HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!!

I think all cultures find farts funny I think it is the approach that differs.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

A better question to be asked is "SHOULD WE develop a 'June & Ward Cleaver' image from 'Leave it to Beaver' series?"

How about the message "Pleasantville" was trying to get across to the viewer?

Who is the audience for which we develop a show? Children? Children & Parents?

Refering to Mike Bent's Post, Why are the strange and wacky cartoons so succeful today?

Who ultimately must we satify?

These are not easy questions to answer and we must live with the decisions we make!
Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-09-10 10:13, Danny Hustle wrote:

There is a very well respected U.K. children's entertainer who does this in every show! The balloon makes the noise, he looks at the audience with a VERY embarrassed look on his face, pauses for effect and when all is quiet he sweetly says, "Pardon.". IT IS HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!!

I think all cultures find farts funny I think it is the approach that differs.

I believe I know that person. He was at KIDabra and yes, it is funny. In addition part of his lecture was on the treatment of children and right after that lecture Chris Caphart got a Standing Ovation for his lecture and performance because he could "Break the Rules" just explained and get away with it. There are exceptions and Dan hit upon one.
Dennis Michael
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1142 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I've owned and read Seriously Silly since it was released. As I've said elsewhere, he has a lot of good information packed into those pages. I don't agree with everything, but then David realized that everything he does is not for everyone everywhere. He essentially says so in the book.

To Dennis' point, David must be doing something right. I started using his coloring book routine, and kids do love it. But even out here in the midwest I have seen David's influence on children. At one party I performed at this past year I started to perform that routine, and one boy knew everything before it happened. He loved the routine and said he had seen it before. I then found out he was from New York City.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
I have been performing children's shows in the New York area for over 25 years--if I were to write a book on performing magic for children--it would be Seriously Silly. While reading the book, I couldn't help being amazed at how David had come to so many of the same conclusions (about entertaining children) that I had over the years. There were many new ideas, but even the stuff that I had already learned, was welcome as a helpful reminder. David has also done a great job of creating a theoretical framework that you can use to create your own routines--this is more valuable than any packaged routine. Personally, I put this book right up there with Professional Magic for Children by David Ginn as one of the all time best books on entertaining children. While I believe that we are all entitled to our own opinions, to summarily dismiss this as a book for neophytes, hints of something other than an attempt at a "valid" or "real" assessment of the book.

On the subject of vulgarity, along with my magic career, I have had a career in corporate America for over 25 years. Trust me, this teaches you how to color within the lines. I did not find anything vulgar in this book.

By the way, I recently ordered the dvd. It arrived at my home a few days later. The dvd is fantastic. The dvd is conclusive evidence that Silly Billy knows what he's talking about. The numerous routines that he performs are accompanies by NON STOP SIDE SPLITTING LAUGHTER from the kids in the audience.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I have this book and yes the book is very helpful...I have been doing magic shows for 20 years and yes a lot of things in the book are basically things I already know but I have to confess I also learned NEW things...and a few rediscovered stuff. Things I have forgotten and now remembered because of the book Smile

Stuff I may have overlooked because of burnout...but after reading the book, I find myself doing a lot of new things in my act...and it got very good results Smile

PLus his techniques on handling burnout is a lifesaver:)

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I think there are so many ways to make children laugh and be amazed and entertained that it just isn't required to risk offending even one person in my audience. As great as Silly Billy is he is not beyond a healthy critique. The book is golden, just not pure gold. I don't think you have to be an author to be qualified to criticize one.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have to disagree with you MrFye. By your "offend no one" definition, performing would be impossible.

I have had people offended because a) I have a rabbit b) I dressed as a clown in a shopping centre and scared a child c) I performed unholy magic at a publicly funded festival d) I didn't invite their child on the stage.

People will always find SOMETHING to be upset or offended by. It is up to you to decide if you care.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Nicholas is correct. Most magicians don't go out of their way to offend someone (I have but that was because she had it coming) but if some person has issues and you cross them the problem is theirs.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I had also heard these reports about his lecture and performance at both Blackpool and The Magic Circle. However, I shall reserve judgement on this as I was not in attendance that year. It is obvious to me from this thread that there are huge performing differences between the UK and the US. It would be nice if we could get a perspective on this from my British friend in Arizona who has experienced entertaining on both sides of the Atlantic, and has also lectured at Blackpool.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
What more perspective do you need Tom? It seems as you are beating a dead horse. He did not do well in Blackpool and david himself will tell you that. I will call david and ask him to contact you so you can get a bettr "perspective".

Ken
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I find the reference to a film NOT about David Kaye and trying to associate him with the subject to be more offensive, far more offensive, than anything that is found in his act, his book, or any of his other material. David Kaye is one of the kindest and professional members of the magic community I've ever encountered. His knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge should be respected for what it is. Tom Riddle is playing the role of the snotty Brit but Pogo and some others are just mean spirited and should be ashamed of themselves. David Kaye walks the walk and talks the talk, most people here have yet to even put on their shoes.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"I find the reference to a film NOT about David Kaye and trying to associate him with the subject to be more offensive, far more offensive, than anything that is found in his act, his book, or any of his other material."

On this point, Magic Santa, we are in total agreement. By the way I am not a "snotty" Brit. I am a "snooty" Brit. Big difference. The word "snot" is not in my vocabulary.

Chelsea, UK
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you Mr. Riddle, snooty is indeed a better word. As for Mr. Jones, there is not another magician in history that has been looked at closer that David Kaye and he was found to be completely clean. Kenue Reeves (forgive spelling) father is a druggy and criminal, Woody Harrelson (from Cheers and various movies) father is in prison having murdered a judge, are they also, in your twisted world, to be held accountable for the actions of others and in the case of David Kayes father perhaps railroaded?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
This kind of discussion does NOT bring honor to this forum or anyone involved in it....
It also treats another human being in a way that you yourselves would be deeply hurt by if it were to happen to you...
No matter what I think of David, I refuse to judge his personal life....that's between him and God.
What kind of courage did he have to publish his book? What kind of strength does that take knowing full well others will drag skeletons out of your closet and polish their bones to be seen by all.
To even bring up what has been brought up here is disgraceful and not what I would expect of those here normally...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Very Silly Billy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL