The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Very Silly Billy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Perhaps we just have more apreciation for bathroom humor in the USA, and David is a reflection of our sick sense of humor.

I did a show at a day care center recently. The kids offered me some of their snack, it was a stick pretzel with cheese whiz died green on it. I asked the children what they called this snack food, and they all shouted out "snot on a stick", I said thank you it is delicious.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"I have five children of my own and I raised them to say excuse me after farting or burping"

That is quite refreshing to hear, Mr. Fye. There is still hope for the human race!
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
MikeBent
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, MA
174 Posts

Profile of MikeBent
David is one of the kindest and most talented people I have ever met. His passion for performing quality ENTERTAINMENT for children and adults is unequaled. His audience isn't offended by what he does. They're probably offended by untalented, unoriginal, uninteresting and uncreative performers. He has been and will always be welcome with my family.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I read Seriously Silly, and please, correct me if I am worng, but doesn't David actually make a disclaimer about the humor in question here ? I distinctly recall him saying that these type of jokes might not work in different areas or demographics (my word, not his). I recall as I read the book thinking to myself "Wow, I could never get away with these kind of fart jokes at my normal children's gigs", and then came across a comment from David saying that what was right for NYC, where he works, might not be right somewhere else.

I have been dealing with David for some time now, using some of his props and his wonderful wands at my shows. His work is truly inspired. His routines that I have adopted and customized for my own shows go over as some of my strongest stuff (audience comments and feedback, not mine). To pounce on him and act like he is unfit as a children's entertainer only shows me the folks complaining the loudest have not looked past the small references to fart jokes in his books to see the other gems he has created.

His list of well-known clients goes to show that the man is well respected in the community of parents who hire him to entertain their children.

As a musician, I have listened to other musians blast certain performers as being low on talent, or resorting to the lowest common denominator to sell their work. It usually amounts to nothing more than (un)professional jealousy on the part of the complainers.

I can understand people/magicians wanting to make the world a better place for the children. Doesn't everyone who is a parent or children's entertainer ?

However, remember that cultural differences do exsist when comparing what one would do in one country, county, city, village, township, or burg vs. another.....

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL (where fart jokes are not well received, but most other Silly Billy routines are)
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The greatest thing about Silly Billy's book is that it gets people to think, question and open dialogues like this one.
This is how we learn and advance the art. By questioning conventional wisdom and pushing at the edge of the envelope.
Had Seriously Silly been a conventional book on magic most everyone would simply be lifting routines out and dropping them unchanged into their acts. But because there is what many consider to be questionable material in the book it's forcing people to alter either the routines or their understanding of the performance of magic or both.
We need more books like Seriously Silly that will force us to question both ourselves and our art.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
British Television---------way dirty---------------cheers!----Jimeuax
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 20:17, TRUMPETMAN wrote:
I read Seriously Silly, and please, correct me if I am worng, but doesn't David actually make a disclaimer about the humor in question here ? I distinctly recall him saying that these type of jokes might not work in different areas or demographics (my word, not his). I recall as I read the book thinking to myself "Wow, I could never get away with these kind of fart jokes at my normal children's gigs", and then came across a comment from David saying that what was right for NYC, where he works, might not be right somewhere else.

I haven't read the book, but I've seen David give a magic lecture. He essentially gave the same disclaimer there.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1583 Posts

Profile of Markymark
It's a great book. If there is anything in it you don't like don't say or do it!
What you will get from the book far outweighs little thing's that would'nt suit some children in some area's.
Seriously Tom Riddle, David Devant and Nevil Maskylene were brilliant original
English or British magicians but that was a looong time ago!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I picked "Seriously Silly" and have read most of the book. I think it has some great ideas and points. As to the vulgarity in it I would think that as said in this thread before to each his own. Many of the books that I have read on entertaining and doing magic have certain parts that I would not use, but that is because it does not fit my personality. That does not mean that the book is not any good. As stated before, you can not please everyone. I would find it hard to believe that there is one person out there that has written a book that has not offended someone with something they wrote. Was there more parts of this book that you liked or dis-liked? There seemed to be an abundance of information, other than a "fart"
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
Seriously silly was one of the very first books I ever read when getting into the kid magic biz and I have to say it's made me what I am today. Unemployed. Just kidding!
His book taught me more about kid psychology than any college textbook and I use most of the stuff I read in there to this day! I also met him at the last Kidabra convention and he couldn't have been a kinder and more gracious man.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Very Silly Billy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL