The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Menstruation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
I hope this topic won't deleted, I would like to focus this particularly on women, as men, uhm.. don't gush out blood. Hmm.

When you perform and you have the red plague, what do you do, don't you get cramps, or get hot headed? Does it affect your performance? If it does, how do you adjust? And for the female stage magicians... how CAN YOU MOVE? >_<;
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I had a booking in a country club. I arrived as sick as a dog, vomited in the parking lot, and started walking toward the building with my head spinning. When I got to the door I heard some kids yell out "yeippy the magician is here" all of a sudden I felt great, all of my symptoms left me, I cleaned up in the men's room, and I did a great show. Of course I turned down the offer of food, and when I got back to the parking lot I vomited all over again. I drove home, went straight to bed with my head spinning, and moaning like a little baby. Only my wife and I knew that I was sick that day.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
This reminds me of a reply on another site about why there aren't more female magicians. The guy who responded was obviously a youngster, and he thought the reason for not many female magicians is that it "must be very difficult to perform during that time of the month with headaches, cramps, and that bloated feeling you women get." I'm afraid I was not kind in my response. I told him, among other things, that I have performed with a migraine so bad that it hurt to smile, and with my back hurting me so bad that I had to mentally tell my self to walk when I needed to, so a few cramps ain't gonna stop me. I was being a smart aleck when I ended my post with, "Now I must go to the drugstore and get some Midol."

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
For Native American Indians, we teach that this is a time of cleansing. This is a positive thing which I always look forward to. If you chart your feelings and moods for a few months, you will find that a few days before you "get your moon" you are a bit clumsy and accident prone, so be careful. This is mostly from the water weight gain, which swells your body and brain and throws off your coordination.

The day before your moon you are amazingly creative! During the first few days of the moon cycle, your creativity simply has no bounds. You will come up with some of your best material if you will spend some time alone, using this "extreme energy" to create. I hear people say women are cranky during this time. If we are cranky, it is probably because when our energy flow is disturbed by someone else asking us questions and/or disrupting our space. Hence, we feel the strong need to move them out of our space so we can continue to create.

I have heard some people refer to moontime as a curse. Try thinking of it as a blessing or a gift. If you get cramps, you can take sublingual homeopathic "Mag Phos 30X" tablets without any side-effects. Make your cycle work for you!
Cheers,
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Hmm before I get my red tide, I get too emotional, and too sad. And that's the time when I feed on too much chocolates (so every beginning of the month, be kind enough to send me sweets!) I use my uuuuuber fluctuating emotions to create patters for my effects. And yes, I should agree with you Autumn, the 'extreme energy' creates better products compared to that of those created on any normal day.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Cyssa,
Use the emotional part to write good material that tugs at the heart. Edit this material during the middle of the month (ovulation). You will be very objective then.

Chocolates are fine! Actually, you are probably low on calcium if you crave them. You need to keep your bones strong now so they will last throughout your life. Take calcium Citrate 250 mg twice a day and see if that makes a difference with the cravings and (added bonus) also the cramps. (You need 1500 mg daily, but you get some from the food you eat.)
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 19:34, Cyssa wrote:
I hope this topic won't deleted, I would like to focus this particularly on women, as men, uhm.. don't gush out blood. Hmm.

This is true. But, we do experience a similar monthly cycle, complete with emotional highs and lows, and for some even swelling, weight gain, and cravings. It is just that men have successfully kept this hidden for well, forever.

I'll be the first to admit, that I can put on a pair of jeans that fit beautifully one day, and then the next I can barely make them fit... shhhhh. Keep this to yourself, 'kay?
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-09-15 18:29, Big Daddy Cool wrote:

This is true. But, we do experience a similar monthly cycle, complete with emotional highs and lows, and for some even swelling, weight gain, and cravings. It is just that men have successfully kept this hidden for well, forever.

I'll be the first to admit, that I can put on a pair of jeans that fit beautifully one day, and then the next I can barely make them fit... shhhhh. Keep this to yourself, 'kay?

No, Big Daddy Cool! Say it ain't so! Ha, my husband swears this is also true. (I blamed it on the moon (in the sky) cycles or Brian's too many Chee-toes in front of the football game!)
Autumn
Doug Henning
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

I gaurantee you nobody else here is man enough to admit it, but The Monarch of Machismo is confident enough in himself to speak the truth! Can you dig that?
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Rosemary
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Rosemary
Autumn, when you talk about your "moon", you almost make it sound poetic. I never experienced it exactly that way, though. Still, please tell me, is there any way for an unknowing European to learn more about that fascinating culture of yours ?
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Thanks Autumn! You are the first person I have ever heard make such a miserable thing seem like the most exciting event of my life to look forward to each and every month!
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Wow. I can dig it, Big Daddy Smile

Rosemary, I am not sure how to find out more about our culture unless you live on the rez or spend time with an elder, but I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. PM me. I did a google search for books and found that there are a lot of tricksters out there selling made-up junk. I did not find one authentic book regarding moontime. Maybe I need to write one.

Thanks Nancy! Moontime is a great time! It is the powerhouse week of energy and creativity.

Problems with any moon cycle are improved if you can get your "egg" to come during the full moon and your menstrual cycle to start during the moon dark phase. Light stimulates ovulation. The amount of light a woman is exposed to while sleeping affects her cycles and ultimately affects fertility.

If the dim light in a woman's bedroom can be made to imitate the cycle of the sky Moon, (Pitch black during the dark moon phase and gradually increasing to dimly lit during the full moon) a woman's monthly cycles will normalize and many of these issues can be resolved. (I have always wanted to make a night light that functions like this!)

Fun fact: I had to laugh when I heard that scientists "discovered" this relationship between women's cycles and the phases of the moon through much research a few years ago.
Doug Henning
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-09-17 01:14, Autumn Morning Star wrote:

...Fun fact: I had to laugh when I heard that scientists "discovered" this relationship between women's cycles and the phases of the moon through much research a few years ago.

well... those particular scientists probably don't get out too much. Too much important research to focus on, you know?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
I take my ipod, play my faviourite tunes, if I'm really bad then I'll pop some pills, then I get over it because there is some out there feeling worse than myself and doing a more important job.

It was a great subject to bring up Cyssa but if you get caught up in the 'feeling sorry for yourself circle' then it can be hard to break it. I used to live with three guys in Las Vegas and I was lucky because they all had sisters and they would stay out of my way at certain times of the month. I never realised I was that bad. Unfortunately it's just something us females have to put up with and to be a working professional you have to get on with it otherwise you could loose jobs over it.

It does completely suck when it is your time of the month and all you want to do is lie down with a fluffly blanket, hot water bottle, glass of wine and chocolate but save that as your treat after the show. Good luck girls and go out and show those guys,

Diane x
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 14:13, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
I gaurantee you nobody else here is man enough to admit it, but The Monarch of Machismo is confident enough in himself to speak the truth! Can you dig that?

Hah! No one man enough to admit it!
I have preached this for years...Men have a cycle. We don't get all of the physical symptons, but we sure as heck can be moody. I can even tell you when it is going to happen on a calendar.
Of course, I'm not as manly as you...There are pictures of me on the internet in a corset and spandex panties (That was a wierd wierd show...)
Wait...Does admitting that make me even more manly?
Hrm...
Gwyd
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

You made me laugh. I needed that today.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I have a backwards cycle, once every 28 days I'm nice, it lasts about 1 weekend Smile
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I do think this relates heavily to performance because it can affect your costuming, etc. If you wear something really form-fitting be careful, or if it's something you can only wear thongs with or there are visible panty lines, make sure you're comfortable with tampons. This is said with mostly younger performers in mind.

Alexa
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
Quote:
On 2007-09-15 18:29, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-07 19:34, Cyssa wrote:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Katherine Anne
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Katherine Anne
Autumn....

You actually made me look forward to my time of the month! LOL

Midol is a life saver for me. lol.

But I also agree with Al Angello... when you get the adrenaline flowing you don't feel much. Smile

KA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Menstruation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL