The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Prohibition "Cap Trap" Help Needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rfdes
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rfdes
Hi -

I'm in the process of learning this effect and have questions.
I don't own a PK ring (yet) and am trying the effect using
the 'PK ring alternative ' method mentioned on the DVD. How important
is using the PK ring to the success of performing this effect?

Also, the second move (I figure there are two, main, 'moves' associated with
this trick) where you are slapping the cap on the bottle bottom, I could
use some tips on this. I am really having trouble doing this with any consistency.
Please private message me, so that I can discuss this more in detail.
I appreciate any help that you can provide...
Take care - Jim
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I bought a PK ring just for this effect, and it is well worth it. I tried the alternative method, and it is just SO much easier with the ring.
rfdes
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rfdes
Thanks for your input. I've got a ring on order...
By the way, what is the meaning of 'PK'??
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
PK means psycho kinetic. In magic, it's the illusion of using your mind to cause things to move by themselves, psychically.

The ring should help. Just be careful of any sound you might hear. As for the "move," it's just practice, practice, practice.

Before you know it, you'll be fooling yourself!

Mark.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
You're probably trying to do it too fast and perfect the first time and everytime and that just won't do for practicing anything. Start practicing it very slowly. Seriously. Toss it up there nice and slow over and over...forget about the look, practice the feel. Condition yourself to feel the move until you can do it blind. Then slowly, increase the speed, decrease the target size and develop your consistency through successful and slow repetitions that are gradually sped up to a performance speed. This shouldn't take but a few hours total. Feel free to PM me for any specific help that you may think I can offer.

peace, charlie
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm making notes here....
Prohibition...uses PK ring....move is done by slapping bottom of bottle then capturing cap with pk ring involved....good, got it.
rfdes
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rfdes
Hi Charlie...
Thanks for the advise. You are exactly right! I'm a bit
impatient (bad flaw of mine). I will start from
scratch and try your tips...
Take care..
Jim
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
You're not the only one. I was having consistency problems with it as well, and with the ring. It became much easier when I slowed it down - and I suspect just as convincing.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I feel your pain. I'm here to help. If I can do, you can do it. No really. I thought I'd never get. Now, I almost can't not do it.

Practice over the edge of a bed.

You don't need the PK Ring or the alternative to learn the move. I suggest learning without it. That way, when you have the ring on, you're sure fire.

Make sure to hold the bottle vertically straight up and down.

Look at the ring (and the ...) through the bottle. Concentrate on that spot as your target. Do a one, two, three wind-up. As you hit it, release the bottom three fingers of the left hand holding the bottle, so you are holding it with the thumb and first finger only. It's a quick open - catch - close movement.

MOST IMPORTANT; as the heel of your hand hits the bottom, raise the tips of your right fingers, with the cap on them, so they almost touch the bottom edge of the left hand, which is now pulled a little way off the bottle. See? There's nowhere else for the cap to go except where you want it!

I promise you that you'll be doing it without even looking at it if you follow these tips.

Done!
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
Thanks for the help. I figured out the fingers thing on my own too - but didn't know about posting it here (and I'm not quite able to post it elsewhere yet). I really like the idea of practicing without the device. Unfortunately I've been practicing with a brown bottle - I've got to get a clear one (ok - buy more beer) to watch.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I had a strolling gig for a festble a few months ago and really wanted to do this trick.Knowing no one would be carring around beer bottles I starting doing it with water bottles knowing everyone would have one of those at a hot outside event and it went over really well. All I carried was the beer bottle caps. I would do 2 challenge tricks.The first being the corks in the thumb crutch trick and see if they could do it.When they couldn't I said ok here is one.Can you put this bottle cap inside your empty water bottle. They would either bend it and do it or you would do it for them. Say that is the easy way. But I can do it like this.Screw their water bottle cap on the bottle and put cap through the bottle. This killed all day and then they get to walk away with their water bottle with the cap in it tring to figure out how the heck you did that. And there is lots of people that carry water bottles so this is an any where anytime type of trick instead of in a bar or at a party with beer bottles. To end clean after I put the cap in I held the bottle up and shook it to show cap as I put my hand into my pocket to get something out and did some ditching.Trust me no one is looking at that hand anyway
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
In my post above, change "heel of the hand" to "palm of the hand".
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
Good idea about the water bottles. I go through several a day (just couldn't figure out how to fold the "sport tops" to fit inside). Smile
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
Just carry beer bottle caps with me and use them with the water bottles
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
When I first got this I didn't have a PK ring either. I ordered one but I got the DVD before the ring arrived (I ordered from a different source). I really wanted to get started so here's what I did.

At Walmart I found some toy rings. They where in the crafts section and they are mainly used as decorations at a wedding. They have a fake diamond on them. I took the diamond out and put a magnet in it's place. I still have it to use in a pinch in case my PK ring breaks. It's not as easy to use as the PK ring but it works.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
doctor_joe
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, CANADA
107 Posts

Profile of doctor_joe
Randwill and Shawn D.,

Thanks for posting this key information concerning Prohibition.

Like rfds, I will be a neophyte with the use of the PK ring and cap in bottle routines. In abotu three weeks I plan to attend a conference in Seattle and while strolling around the exhibits or the bars I would love to perform this in front of my colleagues. Can you tell me if it would be reasonable for me to expect to master the sleights within this time frame?

Sincerely,

Joe Finkler
Vancouver, CANADA
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Joe,

If you get Charlie Justices DVD on Prohibition, study it and practice (really) the moves, you'll be able to perform this for your colleagues by the time the event rolls around.

Charlie does a fantastic job on his DVD explaining everything you will need to know to perform this effect and the best way to practice things. It's also fun to watch!

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/prohibitio......646.html

Good luck. Mark.
doctor_joe
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, CANADA
107 Posts

Profile of doctor_joe
Mark,

I really appreciate your encouragement.

When I return from my conference, I'll let you know if I amazed anybody.

Kind regards,

Joe Finkler
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
The forum for Prohibition is back up at our site:

http://www.blacksmagicgroup.com/forum
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I carry about 1/2 dozen caps with me at all times, never leave home without them and PK ring. You can use the caps in just about any type of bottle, be it plastic or glass. I use a m------c h-----t under my shirt for obvious reasons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Prohibition "Cap Trap" Help Needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL