The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » New Storage Solution...$0.00! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

Lately I've been trying to be more organised in transporting props to shows, a task made more difficult by having a couple of different gig rigs. The key, it seems to me, was packing props in individual boxes with labels indicating contents.

I've read other posts recommending Rubbermaid products, clear plastic shoeboxes, and etc., and while these ideas are swell for storage, I needed something that would look right in my show, complementing my performance and fitting my character. Plastic boxes just seemed a little too sterile.

The solution? Cigar boxes. These little gems are wooden (even the paper covered ones are made of plywood, not cardboard), they're varied in size and fit a majority of the props I'm storing/transporting (the idea is to introduce the prop during the show, unpacking it as needed - thus the need for something with a little character), and...I got 3 or 4 dozen of them for FREE.

And, it looks like I picked up a gig while I was chatting with the manager Smile

Leland
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Thanks for the info and congrats on the gig. Never thought of cigar boxes but they do have character. I just passed up some old ones at a yard sale today too.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Great idea. Thanks Leland!

Mark.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Around here...the cigar stores (and I'm not a smoker of anything) have realized the possible profits to be made from the nice, cedar and cedar-lined cigar boxes, and now they're selling them for upwards of $5-$10 each, depending upon size, type and style. I have quite a few, they do come in handy.

Steve
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Some cigar boxes not only look good but also made beautifully.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I keep my bizarre and mental props a cigar box from a country club.

Another container I used was made from a fairly large, used book.
Removed the pages; made a thin 4 sided wood box the size and thickness of the pages, painted that off white and glued it inside the book covers.
I lost this years ago but the title had the word 'Underground' in it which I thought was appropriate.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I love the cigar box idea. I look in thrift shops for nice (but inexpensive, 1-2 dollars, boxes) including cigar boxes.
Frank
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 00:32, D Byrd wrote:
For those interested but don't have an outlet for them:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodD......ar+boxes

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodD......mp;cat=3

Thanks for those links -- I just ordered some Smile
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks for the links too - great cigar boxes and very good buys too.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Thanks for the links.
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
You are all very welcome. Glad to be of service to my brethren. And their cigar deals are pretty good too! :0)

Doug (I love a good Kuba Kuba)
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
131 Posts

Profile of superpixel
D Byrd, my wife is gonna kill you Smile

Seriously, great idea!

My kids quit using a box that held wooden blocks. It has a sliding plastic top, but the rest is wood. Works well for some small props.

I happen upon all sorts of "free" cases though. Little pouches from toys/jewelry, an "art box" that is really a metal briefcase and holds about 6 decks of cards... But my favorite is a plastic index card holder with a snap front. It holds 2 poker decks perfectly!
-- superpixel = Victor --
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
I received my shipment of cigar boxes... and I'm absolutely thrilled with them! I ordered 10 of the standard assortment of boxes at $1 each, and 10 of the assorted wooden boxes at $2 each. The wooden boxes are especially beautiful! It's amazing these can be produced so inexpensively.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17116 Posts

Profile of joseph
I've been storing all my effects in cigar boxes for years now....One thing you can do is get some contact paper, and make your own covers for the box....I use a label maker, and put a label on each box...ie, Card decks, Coins, Misc., etc...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
If you need some cigar boxes, you can drop by Michael's craft stores and buy some nice wooden ones for $3 a box.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I picked up a few with slide tops - I like them. The cover doesn't open if the box tilts.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
As a kid I use to store bunches of electronic parts in cigar boxes.
Sometimes even building projects in em.

But it’s been a few years and I never thought about storing my
growing collection in these.

Nice links too D Byrd. Who would have guessed you could by empty cases.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5753 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I store a lot of magic in clear pencil boxes and clear shoe boxes. That way, I can see at a glance what I have, without necessarily having to open it. I also have a clear utility box, with dividers, in my closeup case.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Now.. If only my Sword Basket would fit in a cigar case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » New Storage Solution...$0.00! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL