The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Our Magic & Unexpected Visitor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mythos
View Profile
New user
Greece(Ellas)
7 Posts

Profile of Mythos
Hi magic friends! I would like to have your opinion for these books:
1."Our Magic" by Nevil Maskelyne and David Devant.
2."Unexpected Visitor" by Doug Brewer
Thank you in advance...
Mythos Smile
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I have Unexpected Visitor. It has good material in it. Most of the material is variations of existing routines but I'm sure you'll find some material that suits you.
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Unexpected Visitor is a great book filled with routines that you can actually use. I think it is good stuff for the walk around/table hopper.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Unexpected Visitor is a very good book for the intermediate to advanced coin magician. If you're past Bobo's, you should check it out. There are good, solid performable routines with familiar gaffed coins, ordinary coins, and a couple of cup routines as an extra benefit.

Unexpected is easy to read, and easy to look at. The production quality is excellent. It is a practitioner's reference. It is long on practical entertaining, "workhorse" routines, and shorter on theory (although there are some valuable comments along those lines, too).

Our Magic is generally considered one of the three basic texts for students interested in the theory of magic, and why it works. (These days, I would add Tommy Wonder's and John Carney's contributions.) As the story goes, the theory section was written by Maskelyne, and the effects described come from the working repertoire of David Devant. The lessons require careful study, as it is not always obvious which of the theoretical principles is being emphasized (if any) in a particular effect. These authors lived and worked in a different time, where it was an insult to write as though your reader was an idiot. Our Magic will require, but should inspire, thought.

Both recommended Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I, too, am a fan of "The Unexpected Visitor" and Doug Brewer's work. As Curtis said, it's not a beginner's book, but it's not terribly difficult either. Doug is a restaurant worker, and his routines will serve you well in the restaurant environment.

I recommend it, and I have also positively written up Doug's lecture video in this forum.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Unexpected Visitor is good, but I recommend if you choose only one, Our Magic. I prefer inspiring books...and it is very good.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I am astonished as only few recommend Our Magic. At least it is a required reading for professional magicians. Today, we have Wonder and Tamariz as thoretical teachers. But Maskelyne is much more important if your ambition is to become an artist.

Hideo Kato
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
"Our Magic" should be required reading for every serious magician. Just my .02 cents!

Rudy Sanchez
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
258 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
Just putting this back into the minds of people checkin out the forum who might be unfamiliar with these two great texts...
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I'd like to also suggest the Fitzkee Trilogy, (Showmanship for Magicians, The Trick Brain, and Magic by Misdirection). Though some have called them quaint and a tough read, they are an invaluable resource for the working magician and really get to the nuts and bolts of successfully entertaining with magic.
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1146 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Our Magic is HIGLY recommended!
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Just finished reading Our Magic. Boy, these guys really set the bar high! If you're looking for artistic inspiration in the field of magic, look no further. The book is now 100 years old, and most of Maskelyne's soap-box oratories still ring true.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
I am not familiar with "Unexpected Visitor" (a previous poster mentioned that it deals largely with coin magic and I am not a coin man). On the other hand I am VERY familiar with "Our Magic." If you are primarily interested in "learning tricks" then it is probably not for you. But if you want to really UNDERSTAND MAGIC, then "Our Magic," the Fitzkee trilogy, "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" and "The Books of Wonder" are required reading.
Dick Christian
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I am slightly amused this post re-surfaced (over 7 years old), but these two books are on opposite ends of comparison (I should know, I wrote The Unexpected Visitor). One is a technical book on coin magic for the walk-around performer, the other is a classic book on theory. Kind of like comparing a cook book to a philosophy book - if you're making dinner you need the first one, if you're wanting to sit and think, then you want the second.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Well, that was an unexpected visit from Doug!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Our Magic & Unexpected Visitor (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL