The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Immerse (New) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Hey guys. Some of you might remember my old Immerse video,
well I took some of your advice, and made a new one with a clearer
table. I'm really proud of this effect, and I hope you like it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQYlJe-5y4o
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Never saw the first one but this one is cool, Nice job!
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-09-09 21:17, MickeyPainless wrote:
Never saw the first one but this one is cool, Nice job!

Thanks! By the way, I wrote,sang, and played the guitar for the music in the song.
Music is another hobby I'm very passionate about. Maybe comment on the song to?
thanks!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Song was better then the demo video.

With the clearly major video cut, we can't tell what happens. While I realize that was your intention so as to not give away the method, it leaves us wondering (or me at least) how this differs at all from Gaston Quieto's version.

I hope that makes sense.
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I thought it was pretty good... I can see why you had the cut away but can see this playing well to laymen
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
Nice effect and song. I'm not a card guy so I'll let others comment on that. But, I play acoustic as well, and have helped some friends build a recording studio. Just a tip: When recording try recording in parts 1: just the guitar, 2: just you voice. If that is what you did then turn up the vol a bit on your voice. Otherwise good job on both the effect and and the song.
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 09:04, Y2John wrote:
I thought it was pretty good... I can see why you had the cut away but can see this playing well to laymen

I can clearly see why the cut away edit was done. The method seems absolutely obvious.

M&S
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 09:36, magicandsoul wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 09:04, Y2John wrote:

I can clearly see why the cut away edit was done. The method seems absolutely obvious.

M&S

Hey that's great another magician can figure it out...
you should see the look on a laymans face.
"it doesn't make you a a better magician to know how
a trick works" can't remeber who said it but someone did haha
VasMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of VasMagic
This effect looks good but not a magician fooler more for laymen but good effects though
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
It literally falls through?
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 20:13, THEGUY26 wrote:
It literally falls through?

To a layman it sure does...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Hey BlackDove, I'm an old rocker and have been bending strings for over 30 years so I feel qualified to tell ya that I think the song works well with the trick! Hats off to ya mate!
Mick
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 22:40, MickeyPainless wrote:
Hey BlackDove, I'm an old rocker and have been bending strings for over 30 years so I feel qualified to tell ya that I think the song works well with the trick! Hats off to ya mate!
Mick

Ah, thanks a lot man!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Is this effect for sale, or did you just want to make a cool vid?

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-09-11 18:02, Nordatrax wrote:
Is this effect for sale, or did you just want to make a cool vid?

Ben

It is a video for the DVD in the works...expect it in a few months.
Murphy's is helping me do it. So yes, this will eventually be for sale.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Thank you for sharing
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
This is a great example of a new “trick” that is being promoted with a deceptive demo video by an enterprising magician hoping to score some dough. As "magicandsoul" said above, the method is absolutely obvious. The only nice thing is that the video is so clearly edited to avoid showing the weak points that anyone who's been burned by this type of promotion/hype will surely see through it. I am especially disappointed in the end sequence (shot from underneath), which is meant to suggest strengths that this trick doesn’t actually have.

Now, I realize there may be a few forum members who may not actually recognize what's going on here, so I'm gonna save those poor souls a little money. The signed selection is switched out for an indifferent card, and it is that "x" card that is placed on the top of the glass surface. The real selection is then secretly stuck to the bottom of the glass in some way, and revealed as the top card is stolen away.

This switch-out can be accomplished any number of ways; in the "demo" video it happens via a double turn-over (Lee Asher's "Diving Board Double", to be exact)

So - during the portion of the routine that has been edited out of the video - the switched-in "x" card is sitting on the glass surface and the actual selection remains on the top of the deck. In an act that is almost certainly poorly motivated (or not even motivated at all) the entire deck is momentarily placed under the table and the top card (signed selection, remember) remains behind, directly underneath the "x" card. How it remains behind may be due to some magicians' wax, saliva "secretly" applied to its back or some other temporary means of adhesion.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory: The "x" card is slid out of the way simultaneously with the reveal of the "penetration" and is secretly placed back onto the deck (or otherwise ditched). Presumably the hope is the audience is SO overwhelmed with this miraculous penetration that they will never think to consider that there may still be a card under the performer’s other hand.

And therein lies the “rub”. “BlackDove’s” contention – as noted above – is that anyone who figures this out is “thinking like a magician”, and that the gaping flaws in the construct of this trick are completely missed by “a layman”. Right. Maybe the “laymen” YOU perform for. The audiences I see are generally a pretty smart bunch, and I can’t see this fooling many of them. Magic literature is FULL of poorly conceived tricks that rely far too heavily on the claim that the weak part “goes right by them”.

The reasons for the edits are obvious; had they not been there the glaring weaknesses in the trick would have been exposed. I am sure every magician who watched the demo noticed the double turn-over. Had the video also shown the required step of placing the entire deck underneath the glass (in perfect alignment with the topside “selection”), I am also sure that every magician would have immediately understood the entire method.

I have news for you, “BlackDove”: many, many laymen are likely to arrive at the same conclusions. And here’s another flash for ya – if you edit major steps out of a routine for demo/sales purposes, but your customer base still knows how you did it… it might just be a lame trick. I can pretty much guarantee buyer’s remorse for anyone who pay for this “secret”.

That’s just my take; I could be wrong… but I wouldn’t bet on it.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 03:19, Thomas Wayne wrote:
This is a great example of a new “trick” that is being promoted with a deceptive demo video by an enterprising magician hoping to score some dough. As "magicandsoul" said above, the method is absolutely obvious. The only nice thing is that the video is so clearly edited to avoid showing the weak points that anyone who's been burned by this type of promotion/hype will surely see through it. I am especially disappointed in the end sequence (shot from underneath), which is meant to suggest strengths that this trick doesn’t actually have.

Now, I realize there may be a few forum members who may not actually recognize what's going on here, so I'm gonna save those poor souls a little money. The signed selection is switched out for an indifferent card, and it is that "x" card that is placed on the top of the glass surface. The real selection is then secretly stuck to the bottom of the glass in some way, and revealed as the top card is stolen away.

This switch-out can be accomplished any number of ways; in the "demo" video it happens via a double turn-over (Lee Asher's "Diving Board Double", to be exact)

So - during the portion of the routine that has been edited out of the video - the switched-in "x" card is sitting on the glass surface and the actual selection remains on the top of the deck. In an act that is almost certainly poorly motivated (or not even motivated at all) the entire deck is momentarily placed under the table and the top card (signed selection, remember) remains behind, directly underneath the "x" card. How it remains behind may be due to some magicians' wax, saliva "secretly" applied to its back or some other temporary means of adhesion.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory: The "x" card is slid out of the way simultaneously with the reveal of the "penetration" and is secretly placed back onto the deck (or otherwise ditched). Presumably the hope is the audience is SO overwhelmed with this miraculous penetration that they will never think to consider that there may still be a card under the performer’s other hand.

And therein lies the “rub”. “BlackDove’s” contention – as noted above – is that anyone who figures this out is “thinking like a magician”, and that the gaping flaws in the construct of this trick are completely missed by “a layman”. Right. Maybe the “laymen” YOU perform for. The audiences I see are generally a pretty smart bunch, and I can’t see this fooling many of them. Magic literature is FULL of poorly conceived tricks that rely far too heavily on the claim that the weak part “goes right by them”.

The reasons for the edits are obvious; had they not been there the glaring weaknesses in the trick would have been exposed. I am sure every magician who watched the demo noticed the double turn-over. Had the video also shown the required step of placing the entire deck underneath the glass (in perfect alignment with the topside “selection”), I am also sure that every magician would have immediately understood the entire method.

I have news for you, “BlackDove”: many, many laymen are likely to arrive at the same conclusions. And here’s another flash for ya – if you edit major steps out of a routine for demo/sales purposes, but your customer base still knows how you did it… it might just be a lame trick. I can pretty much guarantee buyer’s remorse for anyone who pay for this “secret”.

That’s just my take; I could be wrong… but I wouldn’t bet on it.

TW

You have the entire method wrong.
Please, keep your comments to your self, I wanted constructive critisism, not
some guy trying to give away my effect.... I'm almost certain no exposure is a rule here..
while that isn't my method, I don't like the fact that (say it was) you would expose it so openly.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Thomas Wayne...although I sometimes find you a bit rude in your posts...I believe in this case you are correct...almost. This effect can be deceptive, if performed by Gaston Quiento...because it is his trick. He does use the basic methods you mentioned...but I saw him do this live and it looked like real magic. Black Dove does seem to add a sleight to the effect (empty display of of hand under the table before penetration), but I don't think this makes this a new effect.

What I think you nailed in your post is the fact that there are too many magicians rushing to publish or sell "new effects" because it is very easy to do with advances in media technology. As you noted in your post, this video was edited at the crucial moments to make it appear cleaner. It is sometimes necessary to edit a demo video so it is not reverse engineered. In this case, the structure of the effect, in getting the necessary cards in position, and in and out of play, could make the difference in whether this is usable or not.

Black Dove, don't take offense to this as the video shows you have some skills and the penetration itself did look nice.

P.S. The "Thomas Wayne Display" is diabolical in the Charming Chinese Challenge routine...when I use it, I laugh to myself inside during the display.

Rich B.
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On 2007-09-12 08:04, BlackDove wrote:

You have the entire method wrong.
Please, keep your comments to your self, I wanted constructive critisism, not
some guy trying to give away my effect.... I'm almost certain no exposure is a rule here..
while that isn't my method, I don't like the fact that (say it was) you would expose it so openly.

Mr. Wayne only has one thing wrong: the selection is not stuck under the table, but conceiled in a motivated way. Good thinking, if it weren't for the fact that this is someone else's routine.

Want constructive? Go work on your DL's, then!!!

And for the record, Thomas Wayne is not 'some guy'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Immerse (New) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL