The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Direct mail (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
A lot of the touring shows (circuses, magic shows, etc) sold tickets via the phone room, such as the methods outlined in Stan Kramien's course. Has anyone ever promoted a show via direct mail? I am not talking about promoting your school assembly or corporate program through direct mail. I am talking about promoting a show open to the public that will be mounted in a theatre. I've been thinking about the idea of a postcard going out to every residential address in each town we are playing. Not only would the postcard advertise the show, but it would also be a coupon. Anyone ever done this? Any input as to whether it would or would not be effective?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I tried the cheap route, advertising with an thin card stock, that comes every Friday, the one with the missing kids on the front upper left hand corner and not got one response to a birthday party.

Having studied direct mail, yes, it works, but not with one mailing. Direct mail requires at least three, and it is costly at today's prices for mailing each piece.

Stan Kramien's telemarketing, "boiler room" method is allowable for charities, and politicians, but not for profit organizations. In the USA, calling a person on the "Do not call list" can cost you $5,000 per incident.

I've received mailings, but not postcards, from two illusionists in the areas, one was David Copperfield, (Name recognition plus celebrity status), the other I don't remember, but both played to full houses.

As with any marketing method, what works for one person may not work for another.
Dennis Michael
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Brian,

Keep track of all your prev clients, people you have met at networking events, people who have inquired about your show, etc, and send them an email and a postcard. I use this method to promote some of my products and shows and it works great for me.... Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To promote a show "cold" with direct mail is tough and costly.

Consider this. Most rate of return in general on "cold" direct mail is 3% and that is the HIGH END! Do you want to spend your dollars in such a fashion? While a newspaper ad may not even be a 3% return it goes to FAR MORE people, so that 3% represents a higher number of buts in seats.

If you mail a 1000 piece mailing figure what 3% of that is and what it costs you to make it and what it costs you to mail it and decide if you can sell enough tickets to cover that cost. My guess is no.

Curtis speaks of mining a list you already have, which is different from what I am talking of. People with an interest in you already, are FAR more likely to go and buy tickets, but an email should cover them just as easily as you should be keeping up with them anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Also, if you get the local paper to cover a story, add your your show to event calanders this helps a lot and does nto cost anything... Plus place posters in coffee shops, restruants, stores, etc..... a combanation of things will sell tickets..... Get a few in college students to walk around to the local shops to place posters and postcards in different locations... Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Aslo don't forgot the local IBM & SAM magic clubs. They are a gold mine of people who like magic.
Dennis Michael
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
BINGO DENNIS!!!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
When we did our production show last year we did exactly what dennis mentioned. We copntacted every IBM and SAM club in the area and extended information about our show to them. Not only did we get people interested, but most clubs wanted to help us out by putting our flyers at their meetings, putting information in the newsletters and e-mails. All we had to do was that secret magic word... "ask". =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We have a show this coming Saturday, September 15th in Bristol, CT. The Promoter has mailed out 20,000 postcards...which I think is actually most of Bristol...LOL

Tickets sales are doing very well, both at the local ticket outlet as well as the toll free ticket hotline. I'll post results next week after the show.

On a side note, we are getting a private tour of ESPN studios the morning of the show. That should be very cool!

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Congrats Kevin. It is always so very refreshing to see you guys not only work it but succeed so much at what you are both doing. It was a pleasure meeting you both when you played the PA statefair. I wish you both the very best of luck and success and do fill us in on how the ticket sales are going for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Hey Kyle, ironically I just landed at the Philadelphia airport. We had shows in the Langhorne, PA area and Ashburn, VA this past weekend. Then I flew to Indy to have some new cases built. Kristen hung out in NJ & Philly while I was gone and got to go to Pat's for a nice Cheesesteak.

We will be doing the Bloomsburg Fair September 22-29th. I know its not real close to Philly, but come up if you get a chance.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I only use direct mail for select venues, not mass mailings. That would seem VERY expensive.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Direct mail (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL