The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Trifectas - A bibliographic journey for lovers of coin magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
TRIFECTAS (2007)
A bibliographic journey for lovers of coin magic
By Kainoa Harbottle

My Opinion
Well, what can I say.....this book makes me angry. There's a warning, but I ignore it. I'll just paste the description.

Description:
Trifectas contains two reworkings of Gary Kurtz's "Trio": one from early in Kainoa's career (= somewhat easy) and more recent (= not as easy but not as hard as his other stuff). But the subtitle should give away why you don't want to buy this. The routines are not taught in detail, but their sources are fully referenced.

Now for the review.
Introduction
This book isn't a teaching manuscript. It's a collection of methods Kainoa put together for the 2 routines. It has some teaching about handlings but less detail, while gives reference to the written source. Kainoa's abit goodhearted for putting the page number for the source too Smile . No pictures in the book too, keeps the cost down, and work our brains out which I think is good(for me).

In short, Kainoa is Evil. Nuff said. Smile

Trifectas I = Somewhat Easy, reworking of "Trio"
Gaff free routine, good for walkaround, with all coins hiding in your pocket. When people say, show me a trick. You take the coins out and do the stuff. No need prepalmings before routines. Trifectas I is driving with the influence of alchohol, I mean David Williamson. The core of this routine is, the interaction between magician and spectator.

Sources needed for Trifectas I:
Core:Williamson's Wonders

Helping Aids:
Coins on Edge by Magician X
The Collected Almanac/NYC Seminar Coins Across, for a False Count
Proffesional Close Up of Curtis Kam
Expert Coin Magic by David Roth
Unexplainable Act by Gary Kurtz

I got this routine down in quite a short time and I loved it. Wacky routine, Coin Productions,Coins Across, Punctuated Equilibrium type of coins, Coins Vanishes, and a last coin flurry with a possible jumbo finish. Let's go to the next routine.

TRIFECTAS II:not as easy but not as hard as his other stuff, reworking of "Trio"
Gaffed routine using a [. This is where the Jazziness of coin magic comes to play. Devided into Monad,Duad,Triad, which is the coin production in english:First,Second,Third. Kainoa gave a lot of roads of style and ways to do each production which you gotta construct your own according to your preference. No matter which road you pick, you end up in the same direction.

Monad Roads: 7
Duad Roads: Same as Monad: Choose a road any road then you could add a twist, Chris Korn style in his 3 Korn Vanish.
Triad Roads: 2

Then comes the Wink Out which is basically, some of the coins vanishes.
Wink Out I:1 coin vanish, source: DesTROYers
Wink Out II:2 coin vanish, source: Latta's Seven the Hard Way
Wink Out III:3 coin vanish, source: DesTROYers

Interplay
Givins spectators invisible coins, then taking them back and materialize the coin into reality. Also, like Trifectas I, the power of this is the interaction between magician and spectator. Do this Kainoa's way, or the highway.

TERMINUS;Ending
Roads:3
Vanishes, Nuff said.

Source for TRIFECTAS II
Core:
Troy Hooser's DesTROYers
Geoff Latta's Trick with 3 Coins from his lecture notes/NYC Seminar vol1
Coins on Edge by Magician X

Helping Aid:
The Ramsey Legend
CKH Ate Misbehavin'
Williamson's Wonders
Gary Kurtz's Unexplainable Acts
Curtis Kam's Proffesional Close up of Curtis Kam & Palm of Steel I & Mr.Eclectic
Cultural exchange I & II
Garret Thomas's Big Coin, Little Purse
Coinapalooza I: Shell Shocked by Magician X

I haven't done this routine yet. Until I get my hard to find US coins. But once I get it, I will start 'constructing' it. Well, Trifectas II is basically construct your routine to do it your way. It has many twist and turns.

Conclusion
This book is just like it said, a bibliographic journey. The core source is a must have, to be able to present the materials inside this book. That is, Williamson's Wonders,DesTROYers,Coins on Edge,and Geoff Latta's trick with 3 coins which can be found in his lecture notes Seven the Hard Way & NYC Seminar vol1. The other sources is a helping aid for you to construct the routine.

So Overall, I'm angry(happy) with this book and I give this a 9/10 and eventhough it's a high rating, I still will say, DON'T BUY THIS BOOK.

Or you can just go against the author's wishes and do the opposite instead like I did. Smile

Review by
Gary Yin.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey, This book is great. If you have all those sources this is perfect. If you don't have those sources, you're not a coin magician, go get them. I use both of these routines nightly... they are unbelievable and shockingly quite easy. Don't buy it though.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I second Pete...with the exception about the shockingly easy part........lol
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Trifectas - A bibliographic journey for lovers of coin magic (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL