The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 21:32, CJRichard wrote:
generally speaking they don't write 'em anymore the way Rodgers and Hammerstein did.

No, they don't. Do you remember the line in Amadeus where Salieri tells Mozart that he doesn't let the audience know when to clap? That's Rodgers and Hammerstein: they let us know when to clap--and cry, and laugh, and sing along. That's why I call it kitsch. It's not music for intellectuals.

Now, Andrew Lloyd Webber--see, that's stuff for intellectuals. It's pretentious, effete nonsense. You can't even play your banjo along with it. A banjo in "Cats"? I mean, really! I would bet $500 that Andrew wears bikini underwear.

But I can play my banjo along with "Oklahoma". You betcha!

Jeff
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-20 04:21, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 21:32, CJRichard wrote:
generally speaking they don't write 'em anymore the way Rodgers and Hammerstein did.

No, they don't. Do you remember the line in Amadeus where Salieri tells Mozart that he doesn't let the audience know when to clap? That's Rodgers and Hammerstein: they let us know when to clap--and cry, and laugh, and sing along. That's why I call it kitsch. It's not music for intellectuals.

Now, Andrew Lloyd Webber--see, that's stuff for intellectuals. It's pretentious, effete nonsense. You can't even play your banjo along with it. A banjo in "Cats"? I mean, really! I would bet $500 that Andrew wears bikini underwear.

But I can play my banjo along with "Oklahoma". You betcha!

Jeff

Oh God no! Not the image! Andy Loud Webby in bikini underwear! Arrrrgh!

Question is, can you play your banjo to Sondheim?
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sondheim? Banjo? I suppose I could play some stuff from West Side Story, but he didn't write the tunes to that, did he?

Into the woods? Nope. But I suppose I could use my ukulele if I were sitting on a beach with Bernadette Peters.

Jeff
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-09-15 10:39, Chrystal wrote:
Thanks Mandrake,

I misread it..hope that doesn't place me in the lame brained category. :O)

C

God, if it does then I fit into the "brain <dead>" category for all the stuff <I've> misread!

Quote:
On 2007-09-21 08:34, stoneunhinged wrote:
Sondheim? Banjo? I suppose I could play some stuff from West Side Story, but he didn't write the tunes to that, did he?

Into the woods? Nope. But I suppose I could use my ukulele if I were sitting on a beach with Bernadette Peters.

Jeff

"Sweeny Todd" on the banjo! Smile Give it kind of a "Deliverance" slant!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2007, CJRichard wrote:
Thank God, Al and Santa aren't bikini briefs. . .

But I'll be Al chimes in and says he is, really. . .

SOM, I think, is one of the last of the "old style" musicals, like "My Fair Lady" and "The King and I."

"West Side Story" begins to move us into the modern era that includes things like "Godspell," a lot of Sondheim, "A Chorus Line," etc. as well as the much newer "Rent," "Wicked" and the like.

One in a while there's still a big overblown romance like "Phantom," and we can't forget that the sun'll come out Tomorrow, but generally speaking they don't write 'em anymore the way Rodgers and Hammerstein did.

I think the LAST., "old style musical," would be "Hello Dolly," (1969). Wonderfully campy, over the to, production that the studio took a BATH on!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ed, you may have forgotten this turkey from 1974:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071803/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
This really made me think. I couldn't think of any 'traditional' musicals since 1970 on, so I finally went to a site that listed musicals (of most any type), by decade. Here are some of the more interesting ones that are, or could be called, traditional:

Fiddler on the Roof
A Little Night Music - w/ one of my most hated songs, "Send in the Clowns"
Grease - pop, but to me has the feel of a traditional musical
Xanadu - pop, but traditional feel (to me)
Annie
Popeye - w/ Robin Williams. Haven't seen it, probably won't
Pirates of Penzance - Linda Ronstadt and Kevin Kline
Yentl - forgot all about that one.
Newsies
Evita
Cats (1998)
Les Miserables - 2012, geez, has it been 10 years ago???
The Greatest Showman
West Side Story (2021 - I didn't include remakes, but thought I would mention this one)
Cyrano (2022 - saw a preview of this in the theater but don't know how traditional it is - the trailer seemed that way, but my memory could be off)

The 80's was the start of the Disney musical craze (The Little Mermaid, etc...)

Awards for most interesting title for a musical goes to "Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire" and "Nudist Colony of the Dead". Doubt those are traditional, but loved the names! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2022, landmark wrote:
Ed, you may have forgotten this turkey from 1974:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071803/

True, but I believe the "old school" musical was dead by then, and THIS was a (failed) attempt to revive the corpse!

God. I SAT through this thing. I remember a shot of Auntie Mame WAITING for her cue before dancing across the room!

I also figure they MUST have run out of money toward the end, as the book ends with Mame holding a party exactly the way she was when Patrick Dennis firsts meets her. THIS version, they find her and their son in a hanger, and she convinces them to take the boy to Europe. (He STILL gets the same speech, but it just doesn't work as well.)
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2833 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Chessmann, you gotta give them some credit, I mean take a look at the budget for Nudist Colony of the Dead...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudist_Colony_of_the_Dead
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
Dead old threads being dug up in this graveyard, is a real tribute to The Rocky Horror Show.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2833 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Smile Let's do the Time Warp Smile Smile Smile Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Chessmann, you gotta give them some credit, I mean take a look at the budget for Nudist Colony of the Dead...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudist_Colony_of_the_Dead

Shot in Super 8mm!! And that plot summary!

"Sunny Buttocks Nudist Colony is shut down by Judge Rhinehole and his band of religious zealots for offending the local community. The nudists decide to protest by entering into a suicide pact, vowing to return one day to terrorize the people who took over their land. Five years later, a bunch of kids are sent to the ex-nudist colony, which has now been transformed into a religious retreat. True to their promise, the nudist corpses rise from the grave, seek revenge on the zealots who condemned them and sing big production numbers, as the campers begin to experience an attrition problem."

What a cast list! In truth, any cast with Forrest J. Ackerman (of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" fame) can't be all bad.

Deborah Stern as Shelly Mammarosa
Tony Cicchetti as Art Shoe
Rachel Latt as Mrs. Druple
Braddon Mendelson as Peter Trickle
Jim Bruce as Billy McRighteous
Barbara Dow as Mrs. Mammarosa
Heather McPherson as Fanny Wype
Peter Napoles as Juan Tu
Steve Wilcox as Lou Jobee
Juan Tanamera as Gus Unteide
Forrest J. Ackerman as Judge Rhinehole
Dave Robinson as Reverend Ritz
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sound of Music (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL