The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Study a Master Showman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I'm assuming many of you who read this are new to magic because of the section I'm posting this in. So keep that in mind as you read this but in my experience this advice will apply to everyone.

I'm sure you've all read the advice that many magicians who have a little experience under their belt share when they say that your presentation skills are more important then the tricks you perform. If you're serious about being a good entertaining magician then you should take this advice to heart and really put some effort into it.

Since I'm assuming you are fairly knew to magic I know the desire you probably have to learn as many new tricks and moves as you can. Those things are important too because you need that knowledge to not only perform the effects you want to perform but also so that you'll have the knowledge to work through anything that might go wrong in your acts. In other words it'll be your knowledge of other tricks and moves that'll allow you to get out of that sticky situation and keep the show going. But if all you focus on is new tricks then you'll only get so far as a magician. I know you've probably heard this before but it's a hard thing to grasp with limited experience performing.

Rather then me trying to explain all this. I figured it would be easier to explain by watching a true master of entertainment, scripting, comedy, presentation and so forth. And that list only covers very little of this mans talent. For those of you to young to really know who Red Skelton is I should tell you that even though he wasn't a magician he is a man who is an inspiration for many magicians.

As you watch this video there are a few things I want you to observe. As he does the "Frogs" portion of the act he's presenting it as one of his famous caricature named Klem Kadiddlehopper. But you'll notice that every once in a while he steps out of caricature during the presentation. For instance he sometimes acts like he can't stop laughing at himself. Now knowing what a master showman he is I'm guessing that these things are planned. But even if it isn't he knows how to make it work and keep going. Turned a mistake (Planned or not) into an even bigger laugh. These kinds of things, to me anyway, are perfect examples of why the advice about having good presentation and showman skills are much more important then the tricks you perform.

At any rate I hope you enjoy this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_HNk5k3fY

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks Jaxon, for the clip. Yes, a true "Master Showman" at work and well worth studying.

Mark.
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of dobber
Thanks for sharing. Showmanship is showmanship, whether it involves magic, comedy, acting, music or some other endeavor.

There is a shop about an hour away from me that exhibits and has for sale many of Mr. Skelton's clown paintings.

Again, thanks for sharing and reminding me of one of the greats. Also worthy of study would be Dick Van Dyke. His presence and comedic timing would certainly benefit anyone who is interested in the lighter side of magic presentation.
dobber
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Ron Jaxon, for the clip. Red Skelton is really a good showman. Just take a look at how the audience enjoyed themselves. In fact they were really entertained by Red Skelton.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Here's another one from the same concert. This is one of my favorites from his Funny Faces shows. In this one you can almost see a parade go by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFU2-CsasxU

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Wow! Really great entertainment.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
You can study the timing used by Red Skelton in his clip and apply it to magic too. He knows when to pause. Bill Cosby does this well too as a comedian, and comedy is one of the most difficult arts in the field of entertainment. Many other successful speakers use silence and pauses such as attorney Jerry Spence, who had the motto of never losing a jury trial. His way with words and his pauses and inflections had the jury eating out of the palm of his hand. Great musicians like Yo Yo Ma the cellist know how to pause, inflect and use the moment to maximize the audience's appreciation of the art. It's the spaces between the sounds that are important. And this applies to magic as well.

:magicrabbit:
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Pradell, I agree with you fully. It is this very technique that make a big difference in one's performances.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks Jaxon
Cards never lie
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Thank you for sharing guys,

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
Red Skelton was quiet the showman. A couple magicians that were true masters that I study, thanks to YouTube, are Cardini and Tommy Wonder. They both knew how to get an audience emotionally involved with the magic.

Scott
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi guys,
Magic and Showmanship is a good book. And please, let our beginning friends know never to copy anyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Study a Master Showman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL