The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Thoughts on The Thing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
I was thinking of adding The Thing to my sidewalk show. From the demo tape Abbott gets a decent initial crowd without saying a word. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
It's a great DVD. Buy it. It would definitly work in a sidewalk show.

The entire DVD is priceless. There are 3 awesome effects. If you work with Sponge Balls, this DVD is a must. If you do any levitations this DVD is a must. If you work with a puppet this DVD is a must.

Go to http://www.theambitiouscard.com and get you a copy pronto.

Oh...I have no connection with either the DVD or the site. I just wanna see great accomplishments supported. That keeps 'em comin'...
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I LOVE the Thing! One of the first few shows I did with it, I had a 11-12 year old kid nudge his buddy and I heard him say, "I have this." At the end of the effect, this same kid was sitting with his mouth and eyes wide open. I love that look! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
It's a great trick and I have used it on the street. Great to gather a crowd with. Lots of potential for bits and gags.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Thanks Danny.

www.terrylagerold.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like it too. But I am looking a way to have something appear underneath at the end.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Can you buy just the DVD? I like to build things and enjoy making props.

Thanks.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes, you can buy only the DVD. You might want to send Bill Abbotts a PM on where to get it from. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......er=20324
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12103 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 21:31, Dynamike wrote:
I like it too. But I am looking a way to have something appear underneath at the end.

The Thing itself stands alone. There is no need to complicate it with other things. But, just my thought.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-10-21 14:25, marty.sasaki wrote:
Can you buy just the DVD? I like to build things and enjoy making props.

Thanks.

The DVD will show you other rountines too.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7757
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Bill said that all of his things are being handled by Morrissey Magic. If you are going to make this prop, you had better be an accomplished seamstress or hire one.

www.terrylagerold.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
You have to have the right name, but once you have that finding the DVD is easy. I did a search at my local magic shows for "The Thing" and didn't find the DVD. But thanks to the link posted, I found that the name is "Bill Abbott Performs Stand-up Magic for Kids" or something similar. Searching on Bill Abbott at my local shops turns up the video.

I've done a lot of sewing so that shouldn't be difficult. I might just buy "the thing" anyway, haven't decided yet. Thanks for the info everyone.
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
When I first saw the demo clip of the "thing" it knocked my socks off.

I think it's absolutly brilliant.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 17:08, jimmy talksalot wrote:
When I first saw the demo clip of the "thing" it knocked my socks off.

Sorry. I lost control and had it flying to low. Smile
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
The props are not at all hard to make if you can do a little sewing. Sewing the slippery and stretchy material is a little tricky, but can be done.

I'm looking forward to working on this. I can see how really practicing with this will make it so much better than just a few run-throughs.
Marty Sasaki

gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
Can you buy it all put together or do you have to build it?

Scott
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It can be purchased complete with transparent case to carry the invisible "thing."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Hi Wayne,
When I first saw The Thing, I thought it was way over-priced. Then I attended Bill Abbott's lecture and that conched it, the DVD where he is using it on the street without saying a word is priceless...the looks on the people's faces is real, no fakes.
Bought it and have used it ever since, pretty much everywhere I go.
You won't regret it. I even liked the music scores Bill has attached to the DVD that I use on my Samsung MP3 player.
Bill
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
I got The Thing not to long ago myself. I use a mason jar instead of the acrylic box. The box I felt was cumbersome, the lid tilts back and falls over at the wrong time.
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The sewing is not that complicated. If you can sew a more or less straight line and make a couple of small stitches then you can make cloth part of this. I made one using a lighter, plastic ball than he uses and using bandanas as the cloth. Fits my character better and the bandana is immediately recognizable as something over the counter.

I’ve worked it outside at bike run (motorcycle gathering) to a good response. I’ve not used it busking yet.

I like the idea of the Mason jar over the box (holds Moonshine, home made spirits, ya know! In fact let’s capture a bit of the essence of those spirits! LOL!!!)

The prop and routine works well in all venues with all ages. Of course selling the magic of the routine is up to the performer and not the prop.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Thoughts on The Thing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL