The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Thoughts on The Thing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Anybody have a link to the demo? I'd like to see it. Thanks.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
I hate to pour cold cold water on something; but `real folks´, in the real world; i.e. The Streets,.. don´t believe something `covered by a hankerchief´ is really floating! They think, "hmm, a hankerchief covering something up, that is lifting something,... hmm, magic?" Let´s get real, MAGIC doesn´t even come into their heads! "The Thing"; OK, maybe a gag to do lots of funny jokes and "ha ha´s" with, but magic?,... my crowd is more critical.
...and some wonder why magic is dead,... the reality is missing!!!!
Wishing all the best, sitting in the rain,
gallagher
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Who says anyone watching it thinks it's real magic?

However, on the streets there are kids. Not just adults. I will tell you that I've done the routine and I've seen kids almost fearful of what it was. To them it was REAL. That helps build and keep a crowd. That makes it street-worthy. That fact that the angles are GREAT make it even better.

So, kids might think it's real (magic).

In general, people like to see illusions. They like to be entertained. It's an illusion. And done well, it's entertaining.

Another example:
The silk/tt trick is great on the street. do you think anyone thinks it's real magic? NO. they think "how the heck did he get that thing in my kid's sleeve and then in my wife's bra".

Your post is way off base.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
One could say that about almost any magic trick. Who is fooled by the Zombie? Or even fooled by Card and coin juggling? Who really believes that the rope is cut and that some “magically” restored it? Who believes that a cloth can be tossed over a soap bubble and the bubble controlled by that cloth? Who believes that the magician is really going to slam his/her hand down on a nail (broken bottle, knife, egg, whatever) and get hurt? Given your premise no-one.

Who really believes that there is “real” magic anymore? Honestly, tons of people. People follow a spectrum of knowledge, beliefs, and perceptions. There is a good segment of the population to whom magic really exists and are honestly amazed by the smallest wonder.

Magic has to do a couple things to be appreciated. It has to entertain and it has to fool. Even if the spectators know that a “something” was done they will appreciate the routine if they really can’t figure it out and the routine was entertaining.

I wonder if you have seen a performance of the “Thing”? It is a unique mini-Zombie routine. Both sides of the hank can be seen and that serves to disprove the belief that there is something being held under the handkerchief. Does anyone watching really believe that there is something magical going on? Some don’t, some do, and some don’t care one way or another.

Gallagher, I wonder what magic you do that is accepted as “real”?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hello Harry,.... TRUE TO THE WORD! What `tricks´ today, WHICH magician today come across as magical!! This should be called "The Entertainers Café"!!! The `Magic´ is dead!!!
Saying that, I believe, hope, that there is/are still a few performers of Magic out there. Those who create wonder. Those who create `the un-explained´. That´s Magic, as I know it,.... and that´s very entertaining.
Frank, right on brother; WHO believes in the silk and TT?!? But it´s not the technique that fails, it´s the presentation that kills the Magic. In all honesty, how many `real folks´ play around with little red silk handkerchiefs?,.. my neighbors don´t. But, produce a white, snotty little piece of Kleenex from your nose, from a ladies Bra, from a little kid´s pocket; your audience will start to see the `trick´ differently. To create `Magic´, reality must be maintained,.. underlined. Comedy, `easy comedy´ is produced by creating absurdities.
OK, folks; there are Comedians, there are Jugglers, there are Singers, Mucisians,...who knows, maybe even a couple of Magicians still! All can be entertaining,.. but Magical?, hmmm,..we have the choice.
I think Professor Hoffmann said, "People like to be fooled. Fool them." Professor Sankey DID say, "Create wonder."
all the best,
gallagher
p.s.: Our audiences are not as stupid as we think.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Gallagher,

Perhaps you are revered for what you do. Perhaps you are a long time member, recently banned, and here under a new persona. Perhaps you are just new to online chatting and this message board. Any way ya slice it though, you're comin' off as arrogant and a tad crass. Typically those are traits I respect and admire about a person...but only when used properly.

Lemme tell ya friend that Frank and the rest of us are not teenage kids runnin' around like little David Blaine wannabes with our gimmicked decks and folding quarters.

Good luck to you Mr. Gallagher. I hope your stay with us is long and mutually beneficial. Butt, if ya think we need you here to set us straight, then go fight it out with the other soldados in the Little Darlings or the Table Hopping sections.

We the street workers, know if WE got it down or not. Our hats don't lie. Show us your stuff and then tell us how it is. Maybe you're the top dog. Dunno.

Butt, nobody looks down their nose at Frank Starsnic if they have seen the man work a billard ball. You crazy fool...you crazy.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Gallagher, you speak of creating wonder. "the thing" is one of the items I would choose if I wanted to create wonder. And professor sankey would be one of the last people I would choose if I were to pay someone to create wonder.

I think you're saying some important things. But your last post is difficult to understand, to be honest.

So how are you creating wonder with a white snotty kleenex instead of a red silk?
Since you used that example we can continue the discussion there, if you like.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Guys,

I gallagher is who I think I remember he is, he's the real deal. I believe, if I'm thinking of the right person, he does a Europe circuit with his family in tow for much of the year. Am I right? If I am, he shouldn't lightly be written off.

All that being said, the Thing is one of the most magical things I've ever seen. When I first saw it I went all google eyed like I did when I first saw cups and balls in Tannen's thirty(ish) years ago. . . worse probably. So I'm thinking gallagher hasn't seen it yet. I could be wrong, but then . . . different strokes and all that.

I think gallagher IS getting at something important. I think Harry said it better, though.

Quote:
On 2008-04-13 14:34, Harry Murphy wrote:
One could say that about almost any magic trick. Who is fooled by the Zombie? Or even fooled by Card and coin juggling? Who really believes that the rope is cut and that some “magically” restored it? Who believes that a cloth can be tossed over a soap bubble and the bubble controlled by that cloth? Who believes that the magician is really going to slam his/her hand down on a nail (broken bottle, knife, egg, whatever) and get hurt? Given your premise no-one.

Who really believes that there is “real” magic anymore? Honestly, tons of people. People follow a spectrum of knowledge, beliefs, and perceptions. There is a good segment of the population to whom magic really exists and are honestly amazed by the smallest wonder.

Magic has to do a couple things to be appreciated. It has to entertain and it has to fool. Even if the spectators know that a “something” was done they will appreciate the routine if they really can’t figure it out and the routine was entertaining.

What would Wavy do?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

I think you are correct Mark. I'm just trying to understand him better. What he's saying, I think, is getting lost in the translation. I'm sure we'll here back.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Ooooopppppsssss!!!! I just remembered who Gallagher is. You are correct Marven! I'm one of those guys that revere him!

I know him from a different forum...didn't recognize him over here.

Uhhhhmmmm, sorry....sir!
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Dude, you are such a smart ass and that's why we like you!
What would Wavy do?
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hello, actually I´m sorry for taking `Thoughts on the Thing´ Thread in this direction. We should stay by `The Thing´. I just find, the MORE realistic something appears, to our audiences; the better chances we have of creating Magic/Wonder. OK, some folks might like little colored silks and plastic crystal boxes,.... but on the Streets, the real streets (not Fischerman´s Wharf or Covent Gardens, after your audition), folks who are going to work, going to eat lunch, coming from the dentist,.... NOT out for a show; these folks don´t stop for this silly stuff,... in this moment. I think, `The Streets´, is about playing for these folks,... in these moments. Creating `Moments´. If you can stop them in these moments, there´s a good chance Magic can/is happening. ,.. no matter how big or small the hat is.
That´s what the streets are,.. for me. Very REALISTIC.
all the best, it´s still raining by me.
gallagher
p.s.: i´m really just a small time, slow time show. I play small towns.
Avoiding big towns, the big times,... and arguments.
p.s.s: Magically speaking; the more realism we can create, the greater
our chances our for creating magic,... I think.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Gallagher, I'm still wondering what you use. Much of what magicians use are not commonplace in today’s world anymore. No one carries half dollars or large English pennies. In fact it is difficult to find anyone under 30 that has ever seen or handled a half dollar. In my area one is hard pressed to find men carrying a pocketful of loose change.

No one (or at least very few people) carries pocket knives. Although they are recognizable to most folks, using them on the streets get law enforcement folks very nervous.

In fact, in the last dozen homes I visited (friends or performing) not one had a deck of cards.

So what are these realistic items that you use to stop people and garner wonder?

Interestingly, I find that novelty will stop folks and even create a bit of amused wonder. For example, I find that folks will stop, gather, and look at a garishly painted box and laugh as trained “fleas” go through their paces. But then I guess fleas are realistic in everyday life (although I have never seen a real flea in my life!). I also find that small kids jaws will drop and their parents laugh with amazement at the “ragged red rag of doom” trick! I doubt is they would do so with a bit of tissue.

I know that audiences are generally smarter than many magicians give them credit for; however, I suspect that most magicians know that little fact and respect their audiences. Novelty, strange and wondrous items, and skillful presentations will always be appreciated. A little eye candy is not to be discounted in magic, especially on the streets.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Gallagher,

You say you're small time...but I remember your posts from over yonder. You are living your dream man and that ain't no small potata's!!!

Really, I am sorry for jumpin' ya.

What you are saying has a TON of merit and we would all be wise to heed your thoughts about keeping the 'magic' in 'magician'.

Within that thought lies the 10,000 ways in which to develop that idea as I'm sure you would agree though.

One mans miracle is another mans IPod Smile

Thank you for getting on this board and please stick around. I'll shut up and listen...promise!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Part II. Thoughts on the “Thing”. It does play given a palatable routine. I think it is one of those props that can be played in almost any venue. Given it reason, purpose and life does take thought and skill. It is a Zombie routine after all.

On the street simply capturing a “puff” of air blown out of a spectator’s mouth may be enough to give you a premise for the action. Allow the puff to escape and another spectator has to puff it back to life. You have shown both sides of the handkerchief in the process of capturing the puff. My "Thing" is homemade and the handkerchief is made from bandanas (works most casual settings, street, kid’s shows, etc.). I also have one made from pocket squares (Rayon? Silk? I don’t know) for those in-house “dressy” occasions.

Does anyone believe that I’ve captured a puff of air? You know, much like IQ, it follows a pretty normal distribution, some folks don’t believe it at all but then some actually do. Most don’t care one way or the other and just enjoy my antics.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hello Harry,
ya, I see what cha mean. The idea of using `The Thing´ to catch a puff a air, `a breath´, that´s really nice. Almost believible! I guess you´re right, it comes down to how we use the stuff,... it´s in our hands. This whole discussion, though, really made me hit on the idea: the more realistic we can make a moment/ situation,.. the more Magical, believibly magical, the moment can become. Great, how these contradictions work hand in hand!
Chad, I really like hearing from ya. Often, you stick my head in the toilet, and,... well, it´s amazing what you see down there!!, I saw a guy doing MY act!! Hey, you push me,... make me think. You speak from your heart, often,... I think that´s good. Funny, as I looked thru your street photos, I had to think, "He plays with reality." You standing on your table,... duck-taped,... everybody thought the same,.."god, the eye brows!",... for me, such moments are great! Amazing how REAL, pulling out eye brows can be!! That´s MAGIC.
all the best,
(the weather forecast for tomorrow: SUN!!!!,..
we won´t talk about the temperature.)
gallagher
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Love this discussion. It reminds me how important it is to have a purpose/reason/motivation for all that we do. Otherwise, it's just a trick. Thank you all.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Yeah, me too. When there's good motiviation it becomes just wonderful and magical.

I've also seen many a trick ruined by a false purpose/reason/motiviation.

I'd rather see "just a trick" any day rather than some hack telling the audience "come with me on a magical journey, won't you?".

In that case, who's fooling who?
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Yeah, I've been subjected to too many "magical journeys" in my life. I think there are an infinite number of better ways of doing reason/motivation/purpose.

And really, "just a trick" can be it's own reason sometimes.
What would Wavy do?
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Fellas, why don´t you go hang out at `Big Tricks Café´? Magicians??,....ahh, a painful death.
gallagher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Thoughts on The Thing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL