The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » How To Disappear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shaky
View Profile
New user
Dorset, U.K.
79 Posts

Profile of shaky
Hi,
Yet another question regarding my murder mystery night!! I am planning a haunted house murder mystery for 11 guests plus myself in Nov. I have already planned the opening and the seating of the guests into my dining room under candle light and a total blackout of all outside light. what I would like to do is to appear to be in the same room as my guests making the introduction with just one candle lit and then once my speech is over to suddenly disappear. We will all be in fancy dress (I was thinking mine to be a ghoul type loose cloth) and having my ipod with my speech playing via portable speakers so it would I'm speaking but wondered if anyone had ideas how I could just vanish?!

Hope you can help

Many thanks

Paul
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I sell you "Baba Gede's vanishing serum no. 108" for 19.95 plus s/h.

NO REFUNDS.

;)

no really. tuff question. I'd just knock 'em all out, then when they came to, I'd be gone....
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
I think that would look cool, especially if when the recording stops, your face appears outside the window looking in.
A sudden flash from a candle brings their attention to the window... your face appears, you start to smile...
A good convincer would be to start talking before the lights went out, switching to ipod just after, during a pause... Their rational mind should cancel out any suspicion ...
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
To combine some of these ideas: While you are talking there is a flash (it need not be strong) and the lights go out. After a slight pause (of surprise) you continue talking (ipod or whatever)and you comment about the lights going out. Dim lights come on slowly and you are gone. Perhaps another dim light comes on (possibly a candle) behind a window or elsewhere and you are seen, seemingly impossibly, there. These are all the ideas of others, but they fit together well.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
This reminds me of the Steve Fearson thing that came out two years ago, but that wouldn't apply to a group of people of course.
This is one of those holy grails of magic, the perfect vanish.

Also, you might want some background noise going on to help mask the transistion of vocals.
On paper, it sound like a fine idea to have an iPod playing back your voice, but regarding most consumer equipment, a person with decent ears can tell the difference between live and recorded sound due to the freq response of the speaker, the amp, etc, your timbre of voice earlier when you recorded the message (can vary slightly throughout the day), stuff like that. You need high fidelity system, no doubt about that. I'm not familiar with iPods all that much, but I have my doubts that it would sound that good. I hope I'm wrong though, as that'd be a real boon for all of us.

Back to the vanishing, I think the very first effect in Compleat Invocation is a host vanish, if I'm not mistaken.. but not a very realistic one, I'm afraid.
One method you could shoot for is a substitution/transposition. Wear a cloak and hood. As everyone is busy filing into the room, your secret partner, steps out of the shadows just outside the dining room exactly when you duck into them, completing the substitution. Your partner has the iPod, and pockets it when the recording is done.
Other than that, I dunno.. simply don't enter the room with the rest of them, and find a way to remote control the iPod or whatever.. it's certainly do-able, especially if you use something that's AC powered, then you just use one of those remote control AC switches from Home Depot.. $12.

Oh, and don't trust Baba Gede's vanishing serum no. 108 - it's unrefined.
I tried that once, and I didn't come back for a week.. scared the crap out of me. Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Maybe not something you could aplly to that setting, but try to ask Jerome (TT2) since he has done some good work on becoming invisible.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
If your going to have someone in on it you might as well make use of them... when you switch to the ipod have your confederate shout out something that the tape answers...
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Instead of an ipod, maybe use a wireless lapel mic running through a small amp with the volume set to a low level, if your voice is coming through the system when you start there won't be the voice change when you leave the room.
If you can get a brief light between you and the audience they won't be able to see you leave. Kinda like if someone is shining a flashlight at you and you can't see beyond the light. A camera flash might work.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 13:44, Mystician wrote:.

I tried that once, and I didn't come back for a week.. scared the crap out of me. Smile

No no. that's was "Baba Gede's Pee Cee Pee serum no. 10008". I'm outta stock. ATF took that....

and yea, I was thinkin of that ol Fearson gag too...
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 16:40, Gede Nibo wrote:
Quote:

No no. that's was "Baba Gede's Pee Cee Pee serum no. 10008". I'm outta stock. ATF took that....

Heady stuff, that 10008.

Hey, I vaguely remember the Fearson thing. What did he call it? I'm fried. Long week not the serum.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
524 Posts

Profile of sibbie
It was the Goodbye Vanish - not something I enjoyed but to each his own.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I liked the Berglas switch in the monk and mask costumes... not a traditional vanish but more a transition between two people... that was cool... one of these days I am going to try it myself
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 16:40, Gede Nibo wrote:
Quote:

As long as you didn't sell me pee pee ca ca ! Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Why worry about a iPod? While the IPod itself is capable of an extremely high quality recording, the speakers you use may not match that quality.

It is often hard to focus on the location of a sound in the complete dark. Slipping out should not be hard. Just use your accomplice’s voice in a whisper and you lip-sync when they can see your face lit by a candle. The candle goes out, you leave, but your accomplice continues talking. The time difference from when you leave and the time you return should be enough to mask the fact that it wasn't your voice - especially if the voice is a loud whisper.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I'm surprised no one suggested a seance table vanish, with all of the guests seated around a circular seance table, holding hands. You are among the group, holding hands with your neighbors, and should know the method for slipping away unseen. A good moment for "the move" is to lean forward to blow out the last remaining candle on the table. When the lights come on, your neighbors are holding hands with one another and you are nowhere to be found. Don't spoil it with speaking.

I like the reappearance outside the window, especially if the seance room is high above ground level. Pepper's Ghost plastic wrap rigging is the answer here.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Yes, that would work well, probably best so far. It keeps everyone in one place and their hands are occupied.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2901 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I like the idea of having the iPod going all the time and just lip-synching your (short) speech.

If you have a long table (as opposed to a round or square one), you may want to consider greeting your guests at the door in your robe and cowl. Then, when they file in, you switch places w/ a helper, and he is the one who goes to the far end of the table to do the speech, cowl over his head. If there's only one candle, the cowl doesn't have to cover all that much anyway. When it's time to disappear, the robe just falls down empty, the candle goes out, and when someone gets the lights, you're sitting at the other end of the table.

Your helper can either be invisible all evening, or just show up a few minutes later, "delayed in traffic."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Attention drawn to the window by a tapping on the glass. Death mask style mask on extention rod would allow second story appearance, ASSistant out side cued by electronic signal does the dirty work, USe of luminescent paint on mask would be a nice touch. JUst thinking out loud
shaky
View Profile
New user
Dorset, U.K.
79 Posts

Profile of shaky
Hi,

What a response, absolutely fantastic - many thanks!

I will be wearing a cowl with built in mask for the first part of the evening so no-one will be able to see my lips and my voice is partly muffled.

Really like the seance table idea, I can show the guests in and then sit on the only chair near the door (makes sense to everyone as I'm the last one in after sitting everyone, and will be showing them in 2 at a time.)

Was also thinking of having duplicate costume on a pole and hanging that in front of the doorway pretending it to be me and then just releasing it after the speech - what do you think?

Thanks again

Paul
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
IF you will be in a mask you can have speech from the i-pod right from the beginning and just gesture to a recorded speech.

Just another thought the entered my mind if you are bringing everyone in through a door way you could set up a peppers ghost at the door. So you bring everyone in the room last people are in then you set the illusion at the door using any form of distraction for you to get into position (close the door for a moment) the door opens and you are seen at the doorway, make your speech and then you slowly melt away!

kind of elaborate but it would be something I would do!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » How To Disappear (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL