We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
amazon.com

Lol! I had a good laugh when I saw the cover picture. Is this today's up and coming performer? God I hope not. You would have to be an 'idiot' to even buy the book in the first place. Although I am curious what material is in it, and how badly rehashed it is. I thought for a minute Ellusionist was releasing it. I don't judge a book by its cover, but it was very humorous.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I especially love the cocky face. He must have been doing magic for a week or less judging that alone. Oh and the sports jacket over the hoody. He looks like he is more concerned with "pwning" another young magician than entertaining laymen.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Let's just be glad the kid on the cover is just a model, instead of the author.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
"The Hip-Hop of Hocus-Pocus" eh?
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
But, it is written by Tom Ogden, so there SHOULD be some content there.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I actually enjoyed the "Idiot's Guide to Magic Tricks," and "Magic For Dummies" as well. I see the other Idiot's guide went out of print, which makes me wonder if the author simply did not change the name to this one to simply cash in on all the Blaine and Angel hype. That is why I am curious of the content, as it has no preview like the others.

It might inspire someone, but is it a good source of quality information to begin with? Funny how the author does not even come close to fitting the projected image of today's so called "street magician." The problem is that many young people today do not know that there is no such thing until it is too late, and they are broke from buying all this "street magic" material. They see Blaine and Angel on TV and go searching for "street magic."

Marketing vultures know this. I might just get it sometime just to see what is inside as it is not that expensive anyway, although it contradicts all I have been taught as a conjurer and competent consumer. But it may give me a good laugh, or perhaps surprise me by containing something worthwhile. I just wish they had a preview up of its TOC. I am sure it won't be long until some kid in a hoody here buys it and throws a review up.

"People starting out in magic today want something edgier, grittier, quick, visual, and maybe a little dangerous." They do? Sounds to me like Criss' fanbase may want that, but I am not sure about people starting out in magic. Personally I believe most starting out today want instant gratification, self-working, astonishing, easy to do, cheap, examinable, and requires little or no practice. But there are exceptions.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
524 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Quote:
On 2007-09-14 14:02, leapinglizards wrote:
But, it is written by Tom Ogden, so there SHOULD be some content there.

Agreed. Tom is a great guy and I doubt highly that he would put out garbage.
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pretending to be Cool While In Fact Still Being a Complete Idiot.

Do yourself a favor and buy something by John Bannon or Simon Aronson or Derren Brown etc etc.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Despite the expression IDIOT - the book contains some good stuff for beginners. I would always opt for Mark Wilson, as it has more contents. But if you want to start up quick, the idiot is not bad.
Cards never lie
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I got this book at the library once, and it does have some good material, such as levitations (Balducci), metal bending, and beginner card effects. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone here as it has the standard material, but if you're at your library and it has this, then if you're interested pick it up. (It's free, as long as you don't pay a late fee. Smile)
qwism
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of qwism
The book is pretty good for what it is.

Two thumbs up.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
One would think that magic would be something idiots woudl consider childish and pass on.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Well, the IDIOT series is actually pretty good for getting a quick insight into a topic.
Cards never lie
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Yeah a couple of classics floating around the Complete Idiots book; From Ramsey's Four Little Beans to a couple of Chad Long and Greg Wilson ideas
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
Meh. I only bought this cause I loved Tom Ogden's other book, CIGT Magic Tricks. But Street magic was... lackluster. I dunno. I didn't like it. I read through it in a day, and haven't really picked it up since. There are some interesting ideas in there I suppose. Like Cut and Restored iPod headphones. But overall, Beginners: Yes. Try it out. Adepts: No. Unless you just want another magic book. Everybody: Tear off the front cover. Yikes. Just yikes.
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL