The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dark Seance for the Halloween Season (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
My VERY dark seance, Memories of Emily, is up on http://www.lybrary.com site.

In addition to George Colavito's review on the site, here's a little bit more details:

It's about a little girl and it is very atmospheric.

There are about 5 instances/effects of contact with her spirit, each one building to the final revelation/proof of contact with "Emily" when she specifically responds to all the sitters. The dirty work to this revelation is accomplished 5-8 minutes into the performance & just sits there until the end.

Most of the effects are standard but it is the way in which the script is written & presented. There's also an added prop (which belongs to the murderer)that ties the whole presentation together.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Marqus:

This seance is VERY good and well worth the $12 for it. I really like it and plan to use one of the ideas in my shows in Salem, MA this Halloween season.

Dave
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
It is very good, AND very dark (not in a lack of light sort of way). It's not for everyone, but in the right situation it would be phenomenal. After reading this, I'm actually in the process talking with some folks at a local domestic violence shelter that may sponsor me doing a seance very heavily based on Memories of Emily, with the proceeds going to them. I did warn them that it isn't a family kind of event, and they're very interested. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. Thanks Marqus.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I just bought Memories of Emily and all can say is WOW.... a sad and VERY dark tale, one that begs performing if for no other reason than to make more folks aware of the atrocities of child abuse. I almost believe it to be TOO emotional for my Halloween show. I do like the idea of performing it to benefit a domestic abuse shelter though.

Sammy the Kid
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
294 Posts

Profile of askernas
I just bought this one as well... Too bad I am in the middle of selling my apartment, so I have no time to really sit down and read it ... will definately look forward to reading this when things have calmed down in a day or two! =)
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
From the latest Lybrary.com e-newsletter:

<There is now a slightly changed edition of this PDF ready for download for
anybody who bought it. Mark addressed some of the concerns Todd Landman
voiced in his review which you can also read online. Mark was close to
pulling the ebook but then decided to change some parts and keep it listed.
Mark definitely goes to the edge with his idea and I am sure some will not
feel comfortable with it. On the other hand if it fits who you are then it
can be a very powerful story. The methods Mark describes are of course
usable beyond the story itself.>

The actual changes are: I removed the words "from the internet" on the page explaining the first effect, referenced where one can get T. Ecerett Booking's The Bigger Book of BOO!, and made the "dot" RED above the letter "i" in "Memories" on the front cover.

Now I can get back to working on my Ripper seance.

Thanks to all who have purchased & thanks for all the comments (even the bad review is sincerely appreciated).
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I have this, and I also have some sympathy for Todd's position.
However as a mature performer I simply chose to take this as a starting point and move it to an area which is comfortable for me.
I've moved Emily to being a local serving girl to an evil baron (aged in her late teens); she's led on into a tryst, then raped, then killed for being pregnant. Again, nasty stuff, but it resolves not with forgiveness, but with 'The truth will out' type of Justice.
Initial drafts read like an adult version of scooby Doo, but I strengthened it after reading Mark's 'Emily' manuscript, and I'd like to thank him for his efforts. I definately 'got something' from reading his work.
But no, I wouldn't be able to perform the 'Emily' seance as it stood.
Best Wishes Mark
Steve
[
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Hmmm, while I can appreciate what Todd is saying. I have to respectfully disagree. Of course, one would never perform this for children. Of course, it's going to make some people very uncomfortable. Clearly, it made Todd uncomfortable. He obviously won't be performing it. That's fine. Personally, I think it's powerful and delivers a very clear message. Maybe some would say it's overkill. I kind of think that's the point, though.

Still in negotiation with the local shelter. Strangely enough, they have no problem what so ever with the script. Right now it's just a matter of the admission charge and the split. I have half a mind to charge "a lot" and let them have everything they can get. Obviously it won't happen for Halloween. But then, do seances have to happen at Halloween? Of course not.

Looking forward to your Ripper Seance.

Raven
What would Wavy do?
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of Marqus
The whole reason I created this 'Emily' seance was to try to produce emotional tears from the sitters. I think I've accomplished that & also angered some sitters. But when I tell them that it's based on a true event, then they become as sympathetic and, at the same time, disgusted as I am/was when I read the story.

Glad to see Mark R. turning this into a positive performance piece.

I will post more thoughts later but I have to go right now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dark Seance for the Halloween Season (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL