The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are the top 10 items a beginner needs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Travmcgrav
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Travmcgrav
I recently got really interested in magic and was wondering what items are considered essential for a well rounded repertoire.
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Spend time learning the basics and theory. Start with a good book that covers magic in general. One of the best places to start is with Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic or the Tarbell course. Both will give you a great foundation for many years to come. Also look at Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms and both Strong Magic and Designing Miracles by Darwun Ortiz. Those will give you a great understanding of theory and why things are done the way they are an how to preform.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I second Mark's book, I would also look into Tommy wonder Visions of wonder books, Tommy explains magic theory very well!

Pm me I will share some more simple effects/items a beginner could start with!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
Well, any beginning card magician should probably begin with Royal Road to Card Magic...I mention card magicians specifically because many magicians start in card magic, simply because it is relatively easy to pick up and cheap Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It depends on the type of magic you're interested in.
A repertoire that seems impromptu? Formal strolling, table hopping and table work? Parlor? Stage? Mentalism? Bizarre magick? Etc?
I would start with books on the subject you're interested in.
The above posts and the link Paulo provided offer good advice.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-09-16 20:44, Jay Austin wrote:
Spend time learning the basics and theory. Start with a good book that covers magic in general. One of the best places to start is with Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic or the Tarbell course. Both will give you a great foundation for many years to come. Also look at Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms and both Strong Magic and Designing Miracles by Darwun Ortiz. Those will give you a great understanding of theory and why things are done the way they are an how to preform.

Jay is right. His advice will keep you busy for years. And if you work on it you will turn out well.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
1. Interest
2. Desire
3. Motivation
4. Inspiration
5. Education
6. Talent
7. Skill
8. Practice Time
9. Good Attitude, Personality and Character
10. Flexability
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
I like the book Maximum Entertainment, great for any performer (no magic). I wish I had it earlier on. -Craig
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
You want 10 things you'll need; well I'll give you 11 books right here:

Tarbell Volumes 1-8
Fitzkee Trilogy 1-3 (Showmanship for Magicians, Magic by Misdirection, Trick Brain) You'll have to hunt around for the third volume. The other two are also about to go out of print.

http://www.dennymagic.com for the Fitzkee trilogy.

have fun,
best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
superpixel
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
133 Posts

Profile of superpixel
I'm currently going through the book and DVD of Royal Road-- and I highly recommend it. But that's just basic card technique.

Along a similar vein, I've been switching between Royal Road and Jay Noblezada's "In the Beginning ther were Coins" which is a 101 course in coin technique.

So those are good, because coin and card magic is a staple of most performers.

That said, Nelms, Ortiz and Wonder really do cover the essentials for anyone looking to be a true performer. I would only say you may be a little overwhelmed by their sage advice-- at first. But the same could be said with Tarbell and Wilson, since those are tomes with so much magic it can be hard to know where to start.

So if you really want to get your feet wet, I discovered the delightfully light and enjoyable "Amazing Magic Tricks Anyone Can Do" which are 2 DVD's that will set you straight. No, they aren't master courses. And no, they aren't perfect. But if you want a taste of magic, and you want to know about a dozen tenets of the art, this is a great place to start off.

I've been monkeying with magic (more like dreaming up routines Smile for more than 20 years, and I never felt like I "got it" until I saw Sankey's videos. Even though the tricks can be kinda rudimentary, maybe even "common" he does a great job of teaching you performance. It is all about the performance.

I also happened upon a copy of an old Tommy Wonder lecture. Talk about performance!

Good luck, this is a journey worth taking.
-- superpixels / victor / banana wizard --
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I think Dynamike has it right.
Magic is a fantastic art.
Decide realistically where you want to go, and take 1/2 step in that direction.
I started with Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic book. There are other excellent resources to get you going as well. Don't get them all, only 1 or 2, then get to know them, make a simple act, rehearse it well and perform it. Take your time along the way, and don't forget to have fun. There is no rush.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
1. Get one introductory book or one course so that you spend more time practicing and less time reading.
2. Focus on a small part of the book to learn in terms of fundamental techniques two or 3 basic card moves, and for other objects a couple of the simplest palming moves.
3. Learn a couple of self working card tricks too, and buy just one simple virtually self working non-card trick
All the above will give you a lot of tricks to be able to perform. Select no more than half a dozen. Practice them over and over - including the self workers.
4. Increase you self-confidence by performing to friends and family often. By keeping the techniques used simple, with a couple of self workers in your arsenal as well, you will gain experience in performing and with little liklihood of getting anything wrong.
5. After all this I would buy a TT and a simple book or DVD on it and your repertoire & all round magic skills will increase a lot. Bear in mind also that the techniques recommended in no.2 above plus the routines in the book/course you buy will set you up for many more tricks to perform as well. But for now keep it simple, keep your focus to no.1-4 alone for some time until you feel ready to move on. Good luck!
mrsmiles
(UK)
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Hope, this will answer your question

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&21
Cards never lie
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
All the above are great advide, books are an excelent investment. But I suspect that what your are referring to Travmcgrav, is props. Your can't go wrong with the basics, Sponge Balls/Rabbits, a TT, linking rings. Lots of things you can do with a deck of cards, rope and other everyday objects as well.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Royal Road to Card Magic
or
Card College volume 1 and 2 to start
Thumb tip
Sponge balls
Pack of bicycle cards
Some ropes
13 Steps to Mentalism
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

First of all you must have some books to learn the theory of magic and tricks. Than of course you must learn some tricks. My advice is get a thumb tip, sponge balls, a swengali deck. Learn these and perform. Then for the next step you must learn cups and balls and billard balls. Because when you learn cups and balls you also learn all the basics of magic. Its some kind of school to perform. And billard balls are good to learn manipulation.

For beginner books, I think you must have Tarbell Courses in your library.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
1. Interest
2. Desire
3. Motivation
4. Inspiration
5. Education
6. Talent
7. Skill
8. Practice Time
9. Good Attitude, Personality and Character
10. Flexibility

To the above list I would have added patience and perseverance. Don't give up on a trick or sleight if it doesn't come easily at first. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from someone who has mastered the move you're working on, if that is possible.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and 13 Steps to Mentalism are great resources and should be on everybody's bookshelf.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
The Mark Wilson books, Tarbell, and the Roth videos if you are interested in coins...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

And also look for a style. Work for it.Smile

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What are the top 10 items a beginner needs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL