The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Brick and Mortar Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
TomaskoMagic said - "We used to get tons of calls... "Yeah hi there; do you sell balloons? Shocking hand gizmos? Squirting nickels?"--- no!"

That is why you were complaining that you were not making any money.. YOU FOCUSED on a small market "Magicians" and you stated they were cheap...... I understand you would like a shop for only Magicians to hangout and sell high price flashy props... But, the magician who can afford such goes to the big boys for the most part....

Create a shop that focuses on many levels as well as magicians....
I seen a shop were they had a pro case section and another section for the begginers and a section for the junk...... Bottom line is MAKING money at something you ENJOY!

"Never work a day in your life if you do something you love"
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
We used to get tons of calls... "Yeah hi there; do you sell balloons? Shocking hand gizmos? Squirting nickels?"--- no! We're a maaagggicc shop! Ha- that's what I would yell out everytime I would take one of those calls. Ahhhh-- I miss it!

These are people that, once they were in the shop to buy their novelty item, could have checked out the other, magical, offerings that you had. Handling the calls the way you did could only serve to drive potential customers away. I can just imagine their "What a jerk, I'll never shop there" reactions once they were off the phone with you. Good customer skills are a vital part of any business.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Howdy howdy,

Curtis- I don't think I ever complained about the shop not making money. Don't know if that comment was regarding Denny & Lees or just regular 'Joe's Magic.' Seemingly do very well at the Denny & Lee Studio. In the gist of ''money making'' magic shops at least; take that with a grain of salt though. There's obviously more profittable business ventures out there.

Perhaps I'm taking your posting too seriously, but I don't want 'just a magic shop'-- we already have it. Plus, it's not mine by any means-- I merely worked for the company. Both the Baltimore, MD. shop- and the Las Vegas location; I think very highly of the shops: consdering them the, 'big boy' shop in magic supplies. My thoughts were just based off of MY experiences working for one of the busiest shops around. With it being the busiest-- surely some of you should be able to understand my gripes and reasoning??

I feel this post is turning into a big negative. Primarily to my honesty regarding my experiences with magic shops.

"""Handling the calls the way you did could only serve to drive potential customers away. I can just imagine their What a jerk, I'll never shop there reactions once they were off the phone with you. Good customer skills are a vital part of any business."""

First off- I've never been rude to a Denny & Lee customer. The customers I worked with over the phone are some of the best guys out there. Those who know the shop; know that's it's based off of great customer service. The shop thrives off of that. MY comments are merely based off of experience; experiences that I HAD after I got off the phone- with people who aren't serious performers, laymen in general, or just time wasters. I would never be rude to a customer directly. Those who have met me know this. Those who DO know me personally know that I know my magic and am well read. So, when I used to get calls from non experienced people- still suggesting that they're correct in their non educated claims--- sure, I think even you would be annoyed. In my postings I was giving you all the 'worst case' scenarios from MY experiences. Written word is stronger than the spoken word sometimes; I think in this case- my replies are giving some the wrong impression.

I'm actually feeling distraught right now typing this. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so brutally honest after all. In no way is the Denny & Lee Studio personally like that. ME- yes. Denny & Lees- no. Those who know me personally know that I, 'tell it like it is ' I don't sugar coat anything And... what's written above- is the way it is in a magic shop. FOR ME only- as the customer service Rep. You'll LOVE your customers, but at the same time you'll HATE your customers. That's the best way I can put it. Nothing personal at all It has nothing to do with who that person is as a performer. It was always just the simple minded 'one thought- one way' guys that irked me. I've even dealt with some of the top name's in magic; and even they can be annoying in their questions. That's all.

My experience has no bearing on how the, 'Denny & Lee Corporation' functions or is as a magic supplier. I can't stress that enough! They're the best in the world. Please don't let my thoughts- influence you otherwise. I'm just a grumpy sort of person I guess.

As always,
Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Matt,

I do not think that you are negative - just plainly honest. I second your view. In most cases make more money running a sandwich bar.

I recall Denny in his Café interview stated that he made a million - after investing two . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
As one of Matt's customers - and he can probably attest to the fact I was in the shop almost as much as those working there - I know he's simply talking about the the workaday side of being in a retail business and not in personal terms. His manner with any customer I ever saw, including me, was nothing but helpful, and always with a sense of humor, as have been everyone in the shop. I spent a bit of time in retail and there is always work to be done and it's always a balance between what needs to be done in the stock room and up front.

So Matt, don't feel bad about sharing the realities of working in a high-traffic shop, because the advice of someone who speaks from experience is the most valuable kind of advice one can get.

Charley
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Maybe you came off too strong.... Just did not deliver the message as well informed worker but more of know it all smart punk..... So I think that is why people are responding in this manner...

I am sure you enjoy your job but.... Hey... I use balloons in my comedy magic act and what if I need a bag... ????
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Since much of my time is on the road (in just one week in September I drove 1700 miles doing magic and lectures) I go into the different shops when I can.

I was very impressed with the depth of inventory at the shop in Little Rock, Arkansas. It may not be on the net at all but certainly worth a look if you get nearby. In reality, I expect that its dollar inventory exceeded many of the "big name" shops in major cities. The owner is Jim Henson.

This old marketing professor was very pleasantly surprised.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Brick and Mortar Shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL