The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Potassy-wave deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Any thoughts on this?..
I like the routine .
See on hocus-pocus web site
Don
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
There was a review fairly recently on GoMagicGo.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
No reviews on this?
Looks interesting
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Quote:
On 2007-09-20 10:14, bugjack wrote:
There was a review fairly recently on GoMagicGo.

Yes there was. The demo looks really cool. You can do it with any card named. I might buy it.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is a Brain Wave Deck! That’s it! However it is a Brainwave Deck that has been revisited and redesigned by Paul Potassy. That is, rather than a contrasting back card the named card is seen face up in a face down deck and it has the same back as the deck. It allows for an instant repeat of the effect.

You will find the deck’s construction and presentation in both the Potassy book and on his recent DVD/Video tapes. His reasoning for not using the contrasting back card is fully explained also. The book and DVD's have been reviewed and discussed here on the Café' use the search function to find those valueable threads.

Levant is making the deck and is selling it complete with an explanation DVD. It is well made and clearly explained. Frankly it is easier to buy already made up than going through the bother of making one yourself.

Is it any good? That is a very subjective question. IF you want a repeatable Brainwave effect in your act then this the one to use. It doesn't get any better or easier! It has been audience tested by Mr. Potassy for longer than most people have been into magic.

If you don’t like trick decks or don’t see a place for a Brainwave effect in your act then pass on this.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Thanks Harry..
Don
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

You mean it's an Invisible Deck, right? The part I want to buy it for, is the whole rising card thing.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The raising and turning card is included on the Levant instruction DVD. You will have to make it to use it. It is not part of the deck itself but an addition.

It is not part of Paul Potassy's handling of his deck and was never used by Potassy. It is the clever invention of Levant and worthy of looking at, building, and using.

The Potassy-wave deck is not really an invisible deck (but can be used for an invisible deck routine) or a brainwave deck but can be used for a version of the brainwave deck. Potassy has taken weaknesses in the handlings of the brainwave deck (from years of experience) and developed his own version. While is uses the basic principle of the BW/ID it takes it further.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
How easy is it to make the raising and turning gimmick and how far away do spectators have to be?
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
For the benefit of those that don't want to go through the trouble of making my "Roto-Riser Deck", I've decided to manufacture a limited batch for sale on my website. They should be out by late November and at the present time, I haven't decided on a price. But if anyone is interested they should check my website from time to time or they can e-mail me and I will send out an announcement as soon as the decks can be purchased.

Levent
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Theguy26,

The Brainwave Deck and the Invisible Deck are two different but closely related effects. While they use the same principle of magic, here's the difference.

With the brainwave deck, after the spectator names ANY card, the cards and removed from the card case and spread. You see all backs except for one card, and that card is face up. When it is removed, you show that it's back is a different color than all the other cards.

With the Invisible Deck, the spectator names a card and you remove the deck from the case. You spread the cards, but you spread them face up. Only one card is reversed. It's face down and when you remove it and show the face, it is the card the spectator named.

With the regular Brainwave you cannot repeat the trick. With the Invisible Deck or the Potassy-Wave Deck you can repeat it. Based on the Potassy DVD performance, the repeat is VERY STRONG. The regular Brainwave or Invisible is almost too good. The audience can hardly believe that it happened. When it's repeated, they are watching very closely and, or course, there is just nothing to see. It kills.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-27 18:36, Dennis Loomis wrote:
To Theguy26,

The Brainwave Deck and the Invisible Deck are two different but closely related effects. While they use the same principle of magic, here's the difference.

With the brainwave deck, after the spectator names ANY card, the cards and removed from the card case and spread. You see all backs except for one card, and that card is face up. When it is removed, you show that it's back is a different color than all the other cards.

With the Invisible Deck, the spectator names a card and you remove the deck from the case. You spread the cards, but you spread them face up. Only one card is reversed. It's face down and when you remove it and show the face, it is the card the spectator named.

With the regular Brainwave you cannot repeat the trick. With the Invisible Deck or the Potassy-Wave Deck you can repeat it. Based on the Potassy DVD performance, the repeat is VERY STRONG. The regular Brainwave or Invisible is almost too good. The audience can hardly believe that it happened. When it's repeated, they are watching very closely and, or course, there is just nothing to see. It kills.

Dennis Loomis

I know.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To THEGUY26,
Sorry, when you asked "You mean it's an Invisible Deck, right?" I thought perhaps you did not know the difference.

In fact, it's unfortunate that the term "Invisible Deck" has become the standard name for Joe Berg's Ultra Mental Deck. The Ultra Mental Deck lends itself nicely to the presentation of having an invisible deck of cards which is tossed to someone who reverses a card at random. Then the performer shows a real deck and the card reversed is the card the spectator decided upon. This presentation can be done in other ways than by using an Ultra Mental Deck. For example, Mike Close's version with a normal deck.

In fact there are a great many tricks in magic based on the theme of a deck or a card being invisible.

For myself, I shall try to do my little part to correct this difficulty by using the term: "Ultra-Mental Deck."

Best to all.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Dennis,
Where is Mike's routine published, or is it?
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-30 09:30, Dennis Loomis wrote:
To THEGUY26,
Sorry, when you asked "You mean it's an Invisible Deck, right?" I thought perhaps you did not know the difference.

In fact, it's unfortunate that the term "Invisible Deck" has become the standard name for Joe Berg's Ultra Mental Deck. The Ultra Mental Deck lends itself nicely to the presentation of having an invisible deck of cards which is tossed to someone who reverses a card at random. Then the performer shows a real deck and the card reversed is the card the spectator decided upon. This presentation can be done in other ways than by using an Ultra Mental Deck. For example, Mike Close's version with a normal deck.

In fact there are a great many tricks in magic based on the theme of a deck or a card being invisible.

For myself, I shall try to do my little part to correct this difficulty by using the term: "Ultra-Mental Deck."

Best to all.

Dennis Loomis

Well, I was just correcting whoever said it was a Brainwave Deck.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Mac-Stone,
Mike Close's routine is in his workers series, both the book and on the DVDs.

To THEGUY26,
Here we go again. The Potassy-wave is NOT like an Invisible Deck which should be called the Ultra-Mental Deck. It is closer to a Brainwave, but without the two different colors of cards. And so it is closer to a Brainwave than an Ultra-Mental. Again, with the Ultra-Mental or Invisible deck the cards are spread Face Up and one card is face down. This is not the effect of the Potassy-Wave. In the Brain wave, the cards are spread face down and one card appears face up. In the Brainwave, that card has a different color back from the other cards the spectators see. In the Potassy-Wave, the face up card has the same color back as the other cards the spectators see.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
I'll never forget seeing the great act Dennie Loomis and Bonnie in the 1970's at Galion's Magicland in Ohio. Dennis has been a backbone of magic for many years-Terry Harris
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I actually own the Potassy-wave deck and really like it...I actually do one of the routines that Levant shows on the video incorporating both the invisible deck and the Potasy-wave deck.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
It's the little details that Paul has changed and added and the repeatability that makes this an excellent deck. I am very pleased with it, the repeat IS a strong feature.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi Terry,
So good to hear from you after all these years. I'm so glad you remember the act. I remember that show so well. There were only three acts: Don Alan, Bob Downey, and Dennis Loomis and Bonnie. The other two guys were heros of mine and I couldn't believe we were booked on the same show. And, because we were doing some illusions, we had to close. God, what an honor it was. Bonnie and I had only been professionals for a year or so as I recall. Don Alan warmed up the house and then introduced Bob Downey with one of the all time great dove acts. (In the recent article on Johnny Thompson in Genii Magazine, he mentions Downey as one of the best.) Then Don Alan did his stand up act, the one he worked from the garbage can. Both of these gentlemen killed that night, and we were so nervous in the wings, waiting to follow them. Don Alan ended with the incredible Bowling Ball production, and then introduced us. I was almost afraid to walk out!!! But we had no choice. I knew I had two things going... one was my ex. Bonnie was a real looker and knew how to move on stage. And, I was doing some bigger tricks. We opened with the Doll House and when Bonnie popped out, got a great response. We did our "Fantasy in Red and Black" the Assistant's Revenge, and a Zig Zag. (A NEW illusion at that time.) We got a great responce and I learned that you DO want to follow a strong act, as long as it's a different kind of act.

Terry, I recall that I also worked the close up show for you guys that year. I'll never forget that after the show, Nick Trost came up to me and asked where I got that "great spelling trick." He was very surprised when I told him it was from one of his own columns in TOPS.

Thanks for the memories, Terry. I hope you are well and happy.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Potassy-wave deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL