The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hold-out, Jack Miller type (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Hi all,
New here but not new to magic. Was wondering if anyone here regularly uses a hold-out... I found the one sold by Tannens to be woefully inadequate...i.e. not heavy enough and the alligator clip kept catching on my sleeve..

The Ed Mishell book on Hold-out routines is interesting and informative... I was just wondering if anyone out there actually uses or has used the device regularly... I made mine from heavy duty fishing line, took some long sticky velcro strips and stuck their sticky surfaces together forming a long velcro strip that is easy on and off to anchor on my arm....

At the "working end" I took a low profile alligator clip and anchored it to a short straight piece of clothes hanger wire. Then threaded a heavy "egg shaped fishing lead sinker" bent the other end of the wire over into an "eyelet" to tie the fidshing line to.

It seems to be one of those things that seem really awkward at first..but I can see that some real miracle type stuff could be done with this simple and age old device.. Once, you get it working smoothly that can be somewhat frustrating...needing good sized sleeves with minimal resistance inside them.

I would love to see someone that is skilled with this do some stand up routines. Though I can see many not feeling like the prep and practice needed can justify using it for just one effect as opposed to say several in an act....

Any feedback out there??

Thanks
mdspark Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Some years ago I used a Jack Miller H.O. and got pretty good with it, but it has been some time and I would have to start to practice all over again.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Pete,
Thanks for responding! I really enjoyed your column in Genii years ago..The Reel Work.. I still have those and will keep 'em forever.

All of the curren buzz about the Fk Professional Holdout System has inspired me to dust off my homemade Miller style holdout... Over the years I wondered if/when someone would bring it to the forefront with some impovements... Seems to me it has been one of the under-rated devices in our arsenal of gimmicks...

I am salivating for the FK Holdout but wont be getting one... So, I guess it's the low-tech verson for me..lol

Pete, I would be curious to know what routines you did with yours when you used it regularly...Thanks Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hold-out, Jack Miller type (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL