We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham on Comedy Central (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Jeff has done it again. His new show "Spark of Insanity" will be on Comedy Central Sunday, September 23rd at 9 pm EST. Here's a link to a Youtube teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0o7g-hjnrU

Jeff's on tour. He's coming to the Detroit area in October, and I've got tickets. Can't wait. I've seen him at comedy clubs before, but it'll be nice to see him in a theatre setting where he'll be carrying the show.

His sites are:

http://www.jeffdunham.com

and

http://www.onastick.com

If he comes to a town near you, don't miss out on seeing one of the best around.

Ken
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4190 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Come to NYC Jeff!!!
Lose a few dates in Carolina and hit New York!
We give Tony's to great ventriloquist's now.
Broadway on a stick!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks for the notice Ken!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
If anyone doesn't have Comedy Central, I believe a dvd is on sale as well. I found it on amazon for $9.50.

Ken
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I've watched this several times now and it just gets funnier! Jeff Dunham is amazing!! Great stuff.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Frankly, I liked "Arguing With Myself" much better. I've watched it many times and laugh aloud every time. Everyone I've made watch it with me has loved it.

With "Insanity," the opening monologue went on too long and at best made me smile once or twice. The overly enthusiastic audience detracted, I thought, hooting and applauding for jokes which were not funny or clever enough to merit either. The concept of "Achmed the Dead Terrorist" is edgy and potentially very funny, but it felt as if Jeff was holding back on the jokes. I thought Walter's comments about terrorists were much funnier, even if one of them was over-milked.

A highlight for me was Walter's political announcement with a Q&A session with the audience afterward. A low point was where audience members were asked what they would put on a steeck. Leave the comedy to the professionals.

Is this a worthwhile purchase? Hell, for 10 bucks from Amazon.com, you bet it is. Jeff is still, to my mind, the best and funniest ventriloquist around. I guess the "Arguing With Myself" was a very tough act to follow.

Bob

P.S. Before you flame me, let me acknowledge that I'm not "all that great," that I'm not nearly as good a vent as Jeff, and that, no, I'll never have my own TV special.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Hi Bob,

What did you think of the making of "Melvin the super human guy"? That's all I've watched so far on the DVD. Jeff tried to play it off as a new character, but the guy who made the cast of Melvin's head kind of busted him when he called Melvin, the "new and improved" Melvin. You can see the original Melvin on You Tube clips. The new Melvin has a lot more character in his face.

Jeff typically likes to have an opening monologue to establish his character. With an hour & half show on Comedy Central, the length of the opening monologue didn't bother me too much. I watched the Comedy Central presentation, but I'll try to find time to see the entire performance on the DVD soon.

Ken
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Howdy, Ken!

The story on Melvin, as I understand it, is that Jeff originally bought Melvin from Kristen Peterson of Oddballs & Orphans. It was a serendipitous purchase because Jeff at first borrowed Melvin from her for a lecture he was doing at the annual Vent Haven ConVENTion. He liked the puppet so much he bought it. Here the story gets a little fuzzy. For reasons not clear to this non-lawyer, Jeff's attorneys told him he could not use the original Melvin on his special. So he had to make a new one.

Now, Jeff is a little disingeuous about this on the DVD, giving the impression that he is creating a new character from scratch for the Washington taping. Of course, anyone who performs knows that a pro is going to spend a lot more than the two days that Jeff suggests he has to prepare a character for a major project. But OK. Ventriloquial license, I suppose.

Regarding the length of the monologue, the Comedy Central special was supposed to be only an hour, but they had so much good material they made the premier 90 minutes. Subsequent showings on TV have been an hour. Everything got put on the DVD.

My problem with the monologue is that while I think Jeff is a great comedian with the puppets, he is average (for Comedy Central) with straight monologue. I enjoyed the briefer monologue on "Arguing With Myself" much more, especially since it set up some great callbacks with the puppets. On "Insanity," I didn't think the callbacks were funny enough to warrant the long monologue. (I won't spoil it for you, but there is a GREAT callback to the first DVD!

Thanks for asking!!

Bob
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Bob,

Thanks for the back story on Melvin. I love hearing the straight dope on things like that... I just watched the making of Melvin again. I'm glad Jeff included it on the DVD. I found it fascinating, watching him patiently sanding and painting Melvin. I especially found it entertaining to watch Melvin come to life during the process, complaining about the paint in his eyes Smile . It's that type of character development that puts Jeff above most vents, in my humble opinion. Having seen Jeff a couple of times at comedy clubs, going off the script with his characters seems effortless because he knows the characters so well and how they'll react to spontaneous situations. My whole family is really looking forward to seeing him when he comes through town next month. It'll be fun to see which characters show up.

Thanks again Bob...

Ken
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1597 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Maybe we could talk Jeff into joining and being our next "guest of honor". Get on that Steve!! Smile
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I watched his specials twice. Although I did enjoy the first one, his second one seemed a little different. I think his time with the opening monologue was a bit lenghty, but it did tie in with his puppets in the act. Using the venue of Washington and some of the jokes made were hilarious.

Walter is my favorite. I sometimes joke about passing gas and have even bought a remote control fart machine to use at times with my puppet. When Walter "vetoed", I almost fell out of my chair. Then the terrorist puppet mentioned Walter's gas as well.

I was impressed when Jeff and his puppet seemed to talk at the same time. That was amazing.

I am just glad that I drive a Kia Serento.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Hey Gang, Just wanted to drop a quick line to everyone on here, I'll be going out on tour with Jeff as of 10/4 as his merchandise manager ....if you come out to any shows please stop by and introduce yourself as from the magiccafe!

Magically Yours

Adam

for tourdates go to: http://www.jeffdunham.com/tour.html
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Adam,

I'll make sure to say hi. We'll be at the Dearborn, Mi. show October 20th. I'm bringing my wife and son. Really looking forward to it.

See you there..

Ken
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Bob Baker wrote:
The overly enthusiastic audience detracted, I thought, hooting and applauding for jokes which were not funny or clever enough to merit either.

Bob,
I was a part of that overly enthusiastic audience - believe me, the taping was incredible fun - there was a lot that went on that never made it to video. Jeff did two shows, and some of my favorite bits of the evening weren't on the final DVD - a real shame. BTW - the "call back" joke for Arguing With Myself was actually an ad-lib based on an audience interaction during a break in the taping. Jeff is hilarious in concert, great at ad-lib and well worth going to see.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I'm hoping Jeff will bring the cast of characters from "Spark of Insanity". Even if he did the exact same show from the DVD, it'll be fun to see my son's reaction of seeing him live for the first time. Can't wait for October 20th!!!!

Ken
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

So Far for the Tour It's Been:

Walter, Achmed, Peanut & Jalapeno' & Bubba J, although it's always subject to change!

AC
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Adam,

How's the touring going? Tell Jeff to bring Melvin to Dearborn Smile

Ken
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Adam's gotta get to dearborn first.....lol...driving from Raleigh to Dearborn, I'll check it out with Jeff, but no Guarentees!

Adam
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Adam,

Thanks. BTW, you might want to mention to Jeff that Dearborn has the highest population of Arabic decent outside of the middle east. I'm not sure how well Achmed will be received. Smile Just giving you the heads up. (I'm sure Jeff could have fun with that info) Look forward to seeing you on Saturday...

Ken
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 19:35, SoCalPro wrote:
Maybe we could talk Jeff into joining and being our next "guest of honor". Get on that Steve!! Smile

Wow!!! This will be so cool!!! Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham on Comedy Central (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL