The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Do-It-Yourself Packet Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I've decided to re-work "In Over His Head" somewhat, because after further research, I determined that my method was too similar to an existing effect. In the end I may replace it with something else entirely.

In the meantime, however, I've just finished "Harry & Bess" (Houdini's "Metamorphosis") and will be sending that out very soon. It's just got to be proofed and converted to .pdf format.

I'm also doing a lot of work this weekend on "Jack B. Nimble" and "Twisted Sister." I'm still shooting for having the e-book complete by Thanksgiving.

Concerning the information on printing your own cards... I must confess that I picked up those tips here on Magic Café. But what I've done is taken those general tips and written out a step-by-step guide. I'm not selling this article but, rather, including it FREE with any of my effects that utilize custom-made cards. The results are far superior to using stickers, etc. as I did for my first attempts.

I personally found this method to be quite easy and produced really good results. Anyone who is on the fence about these effects because you don't have a lot of skill in making your own cards need not be concerned. If you know how to print something with your computer and can use a spray paint can, you've got pretty much all the skills you need!
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Magicbob, do you have to have a certain model printer in order to print gaffed cards?
Magic is a vanishing art.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I didn't use any sort of "special" printer to make them... just the ink jet printer I already use for general purpose printing. It's an hp psc 1350 (all-in-one) ink jet printer. I think just about any ink jet printer will give you comparable results. Of course, the better your printer is, the better the end product will probably be. I have read that ink jet printers actually work better than laser printers for printing cards. But I've only used my ink jet, so I can't verify that.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Thanks for the info magicbob.
Magic is a vanishing art.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
"Harry & Bess" (Houdini's Metamorphosis) is now available online. It's been sent out to everyone who pre-ordered already.

Seven effects are now complete. I'm working diligently on the last three.

Anyone wishing to pre-order now will receive all seven effects (plus the supplemental article on printing your own cards) right away. It will probably be the same day, but no later than the next day. So you'll save $1 immediately (cost to buy them individually would be $21). You'll receive the remaining three effects automatically as each is released. I'll also send an additional .pdf of the entire e-book in one volume (all of the effects in a single file) once it is complete.

Send me a PM for details.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
Just received the material. I knew it would be good based on Marty's recommendation/review. I have to add that after skimming these manuscripts it is clear that Bob really put a lot of effort into this - great job!
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I've been getting a lot of inquiries via PM so I've decided to expedite things a little by adding my e-mail address to my signature block below.

If you want to order the complete e-book, it's not an option on the website yet, since there are still three more effects "coming soon." But you can send $20 via Paypal and I'll add you to the "pre-order" list. I'll send everything that's complete now and the rest as each is released. Please make a note in the remarks section that you are ordering the complete e-book. Thanks.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
Here is another review for the latest Magicbob creation.."Harry & Bess"
Before I describe this to you, I have to say that I have been having a blast putting these effects together. This is the type of stuff that I just love.
The creativity here is superb, and the effects are all winners, and none are beyond the average magicians ability to make.
Most important of all, YOU WILL USE THESE TRICKS!
A card box is turned into a metamorphosis trunk, (it hinges open much like a standard card box prop would) But there is a hole through both sides, which is important to keep in mind. A queen of hearts to represent Bess Houdini with a hole in her center is placed inside and a piece of rope is passed through locking her inside. The case is left partially opened so you can see everything is fair and above board here.
The case is closed and banded with several rubber bands locking Bess inside.
Now Harry being represented by a king of spades with a hole in his cente is rested on the top of the box while a spectator or two can hold the ends of the rope. A hank is brushed in front of the case and card and instantly Bess is free of the case and rope. When the rubber bands are removed, and the case opened, there inside is Harry and he is securely inside with the rope running right through him as well. Not only do the cards switch places inside the case, but the ropes ends never leave the spectators hands, and when you make this up and use it, you will find it just about self working.
You get a 21 page e-book that again gives you a material list of everything you will need, and step by step directions for making everything you need, complete with 26 photos giving all the details. I have said it before and I'll say it again, Magicbob has not only created some outstanding magic here, but his instructions and construction details are the finest I have seen in magic today.
It took me a couple of weeks to get to this review as I was busy lecturing and attending a couple conventions, but once I got back, I sat down and assembled
this prop in about two hours, taking my time as I went along. I highly recommend this, and also recommend that you order the whole package from Magicbob because once you make one up, you'll want to make them all.
This gets a 10 out of 10.
All the Best
Marty
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Marty,

Thanks again for the kind words!

Good news... "Jack B. Nimble" (based on "The Stretcher" illusion) is very near completion. I'll be putting the finishing touches on it this afternoon. It should be available in a day or two.

After much consideration, I decided that the "compressed" phase needed to be a separate effect. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, combining them felt somewhat like overkill when performed in succession and actually seemed to weaken the impact of both phases.

Also, I completely redesigned the "cabinets" and refined the methods for all three of the remaining effects (thus the slight delay from my goal of finishing by Thanksgiving). Alas, the new and improved method for the "compressed" illusion cannot be accomplished using the "Jack B. Nimble" gaff.

On a positive note, however... my re-engineering efforts resulted in a much more VISUAL compressed card effect, which I've entitled "The Kompressed King" (homage to Kenton Knepper).
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5415 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I am absolutely loving these! Anyone reading this thread who has not already purchased the book(s) is seriously missing out. These are fun to build, fun to perform and worth many times the price. Thanks Magicbob!!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Some good news; bad news.

First, the bad news: as of January 1st, 2008, all the $3.00 e-books at The Magic Nook will be increased to $5.00. The prices for collections (10 or more e-books) will increase from $20 to $40. E-books that currently sell for $5 and collections that currently sell for $40 will remain unchanged.

The good news: There is still time to purchase Magic Nook e-books and collections at the current prices, right up until December 31st, 2007. Even with the increased prices, you'll still find the best values in magic e-books at The Magic Nook, and Magicbob's e-books are certainly worth many times the increased price as many purchasers have already noted.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Jack B. Nimble is now available!

The Kompressed King and Twisted Sister are coming SOON.

As Spellbinder mentioned above, the prices at Magic Nook will be going up. I plan to have the last two effects completed before January 1st, but just in case I run into a slight delay, you can still order the complete e-book at the current price until January 1st. I'll send the completed effects (plus some bonus material) right away. Then you'll receive the remaining effects automatically as soon as they're done.

Please note that you don't have the option of purchasing the complete e-book from the website yet. As soon as the last effect is done, there will be an "add to cart" button for the complete e-book. In the meantime, you'll need to PM or e-mail me and let me know you want the complete e-book.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Glad to see the Café is back up and running!

Quick update on the "I Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks... "The Kompressed King" is now available.

The book is now very close to being finished. One more effect to go! I'm in the process of writing up "Twisted Sister" (the "Twister" illusion performed with a Queen as your assistant). It should be ready before Christmas.

Reminder: if you order now to lock in this year's price, I will send the nine completed effects, plus bonus article right away. You'll automatically receive the final effect the moment it's complete (well, maybe a few moments after). I'm also getting all of the effects compiled into a single volume (.pdf file) and will automatically send that to you when it's done as well.

I've got two more exciting projects lined up for the new year! I hope everyone will visit Spellbinder's website (www.magicnook.com) often. I'll be posting an announcement sometime with more details about these upcoming e-books.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I've just finished writing up "Twisted Sister" and submitted it to my esteemed editor. Be on the lookout for this to be available in a day or so.

This means that anyone interested in purchasing the complete e-book will no longer have to "pre-order." You will receive everything at the same time.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
As the esteemed editor, I must say that editorially wise, this is the best effect yet. I didn't have to crack whips to get Magicbob to provide more pictures or anything. My personal favorite is still The Disembodied Prince, but let's face it, they are all good, solid effects. Job well done, Magicbob. Now on to the next book! Crack!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
The book is now complete!

:dancing:

You can now order directly from the website (click on link in my signature block). Look near the bottom of the page for the "add to cart" button if ordering the complete e-book (don't forget... you have until December 30th to order at this year's prices).

Announcement time. Drum roll, please...

For 2008, In addition to working on the "Kards for Kids" book that I mentioned in another thread, I will be releasing The "I STILL Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks. For those of you who loved the miniature illusion theme of this book, I will be included similar effects for about half the book. For those of you who weren't so turned on by that theme, the other half of the book will contain effects not related to stage illusions. But there will still be NO "pick a card" effects. All of these will be unique visual effects. Many offbeat and funny premises. One will even have a "clean" and a "bawdy" variation. The effects will also be available individually, so you can always pick and choose the ones that suit your personality best.

I hope there will be a little something for everyone in this next e-book.

One final note... Thank you to Marty Grams who, not only has been kind enough to review many of the effects here, but has honored me by writing the foreword for the book. Thanks again, Marty!!
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
(don't forget... you have until December 30th to order at this year's prices!)

Special! We have added one more day to December, so Magicbob's special offer is now good until December 31st! Thanks to everyone in the world for updating their calendars and adding one more day in December to accomodate our sale!
Professor Spellbinder

magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Darn those typos... I almost did away with New Year's Eve!

Maybe we can come up with a new rhyme... 30 days has September, December, and Paris Hilton. Smile
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
There are only 4 days left to save 50% on the complete e-book.

Just in case I can't get the e-book e-mailed before January 1st because of the spotty internet service where I'm at (I'm visiting relatives out in the country this week, and have limited access to very SLOW internet connection), rest assured... all orders placed before January 1st qualify for the lower price. I will have good internet connectivity again by January 4th. So, even though I don't anticipate ANY delays in delivery, if it does occur, it won't be a long delay.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I've had several questions from those of you who received all the effects as separate files as they were released. You WILL also receive a single .pdf of the complete e-book, but I wanted to do more than just slap all of the files together.

I'm making some adjustments (table of contents, headers for each chapter, renumbering pages/appendices, minor edits of early effects to maintain consistency of format, etc.) to make it a more professional final product. I'm just putting the finishing touches on it and will e-mail it to everyone once I return home from my holiday travels (early Jan).
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Do-It-Yourself Packet Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL