The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Do-It-Yourself Packet Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Magicbob has a new book in the making, called "I Hate Card Tricks." In it, he basically teaches you how to make your own packet style card effects especially designed for those who don't want to do the standard card magic. Instead, each of the effects in the book uses playing cards to simulate a stage illusion. He plans a total of ten card "illusions" for the book, and right now the first four are complete and ready to go as separate packet effects. They are: The Divided Queen, The Zig-Zag Queen, The Mismade Queen, and The Spiked Queen (which includes a bit of Assistant's Revenge in it). You make each of the packets yourself following his photo directions, and he includes templates to print out on your computer if special artwork is needed.

Magicbob is an independent author, so I don't make a cent from his using my website to distribute his e-books, but I am happy to give him space to do so because his ideas are really good. I have used some of his other card tricks in The Wizards' Journal #13 (also on my site) and it looks as if he will be a regular contributor from now on.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
These look interesting. Thanks for the heads up!
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Twin Falls, ID
580 Posts

Profile of Kex
Very intriguing... thanks for the post!
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Thanks for the kind words, Spellbinder!

I'm working diligently on writing the manuscripts for the effects listed as "coming soon."

Spellbinder can vouch for the fact that I'm now filling those 3-4 hours per night that I used to waste on sleep with putting this project together! Smile

Thankfully, he's doing a great job catching the typos that inevitably crop up at 2 am! Smile
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the information
Cards never lie
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I’m looking forward to see this e-book , I really enjoy card magic and stage illusions but arthritis has taking it’s toll on my hands and I'm now limited to the sleights I can use.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Alan,

"The Kremated King" is now available. I'm working diligently on finishing the other two effects listed as "coming soon." The R&D is complete. It's just a matter of sitting down and writing the manuscipt, taking photos, etc. Also, I have just finalized the line-up for the remaining effects. We'll probably get previews posted in the next week or so.

My goal is to have the book completed before Christmas. So far, I'm tracking with my projected timeline. I might even get it out by Thanksgiving (but don't hold me to that) so I can begin work on the next project. Yes, there's already a next project in the works! Sleep? What's that?

For those interested in getting the entire e-book, Spellbinder made the following suggestion to me: offer a way to take advantage of the discount without having to wait until all the effects are published. Here's what I came up with:

Contact me by e-mail or PM and let me know you want the complete e-book. You can go ahead and begin ordering the individual effects immediately. I'll track your purchases. When you purchase your 7th effect, I'll send you a $1 refund and automatically send you the remaining three effects as soon as each is complete. Do the math. It adds up.

If you prefer not to be bothered with having to do seven separate transactions (two of which you cannot make just yet), you can also (here comes the dreaded "P" word) "pre-order" by sending a single payment of $20. I'll send you the five completed effects immediately and automatically send the other five as soon as each one is complete.

Ok, enough of that. Self-promotion is not my goal. But I did want to present those alternatives to Café members since some have expressed an interest in such an offer. Since this thread was about the e-book in question, I figured it was as good a place as any to get the word out.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I just added Magicbob's "The Disembodied Prince" to his collection of card "illusions." The Jack has a hole right through it that the spectator can put his finger through, or you can pull a handkerchief through, etc. At the end, the Jack is in one piece and all is left in the spectator's hands to puzzle over. I like this one!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Hi Professor, Is the Disembodied Prince part of the I hate card tricks or is an additional trick? Either way I don't see it under your cards trick section (last one is mummy mischief)Can I buy it separately?

Thank you
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I found it, never mind
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Pablo,

Thanks for your interest. Your effects are on the way!

For anyone else interested in the "pre-order" option described above, effect #7 will be complete soon and the rest will not be too far behind.

Here are the effects included in the complete e-book:

The Divided Queen (Modern Art performed with a Queen)

The Zig Zag Queen (self-explanatory I think)

The Mismade Queen (self-explanatory I think)

The Spiked Queen/Assistant's Revenge (A bed of spikes is driven through the Queen, but in the end, she has switched places with the King)

The Disembodied Prince (Disembodied Princess performed with a Jack... using an entirely different method than the actual illusion)

The Kremated King ("Burned Alive!" performed with a King... using REAL FIRE!)

In Over His Head (A Water Torture Cell Escape using a King)

Harry & Bess (A reenactment of the Houdini's "Metamorphosis" using a King & Queen)

Jack B. Nimble ("The Stretcher" and "Compressed" are combined into a single effect... can also be performed separately)

Twisted Sister (Not to be confused with John Bannon's "Twisted Sisters", this is my take on "The Twister" illusion using a Queen)
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
I love packet tricks and the idea of performing classic illusions with them sounds very nice. I just ordered the complete ebook from Magicbob.

Jacques
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Jacques,

Greetings. Your order is on the way.

On a personal note, I had the opportunity to visit Antwerp, Bastogne, and Brussels several years ago when I was living in Europe. I hope to make it back for another visit. Are there some specific venues in Belgium where I can attend a magic show?
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
Hi Magigbob,

I received the first six and I must say they look great. You have put a lot of work into this with: good photo's and extended explanation. I'm looking forward to make them all. Personally I do not know of any good venues for a magic show in Antwerp but I'll ask around in the magic club.

Jacques
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
O.K. this really should be in the gaffed & funky section as well as e-books section since it fits so well. But for now we'll keep it here.

Most of you know me from my dvd on card splitting, I love to tinker with cards and various gaffs. the more unique the gaff the more I just want to play with it.
I recently spent a very entertaining weekend playing with 6 e-books from MagicBob.
I made up the cards Saturday night and played all day Sunday and today with the cards. To just say I like them is an understatement, these are great.

MagicBob is putting together a book titled "The "I Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Magic. At the present time he has six of the mini illusions done with the rest to follow shortly. This review is on the first 6 effects.

#1 The Divided Lady - 19 pages long, Imagaine doing the Modern Art illusion with a Queen of Spades. In effect you take a deck of cards and turn over the top card (QS) This card is freely shown and placed face up on top of the deck. Next a card with two circular cut outs is placed over the card and you can see the faces through the two holes. With a pretend slicing, you next move the deck sideways and the top half of the Queen moves with it???? Yes it is that visual. & no it is not black art. You can immediately slide the cvard back together and hand it out or sign your name and let them keep the card.

The entire construction process on how to make this up is in full detail with 16 pictures and text that takes you step by step in the construction process to make this up. This is very highly recommended, and you will not be disappointed with your purchase. Like I said earlier I am a gaffed card fanatic and I just love this trick. MagicBob has produced what I feel will become a classic in magic.

Check it out and the other great effects that MagicBob is offering ;
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbobarticles/I hate card tricks/I hate card tricks.htm

This is worth far more than the reasonable price he is asking for it.

I give it a 10 out of 10 Tomorrow I will let you know about some more of these great effects from MagicBob's The "I Hate Card Tricks" book of card tricks.
All the Best
Marty
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings again;
here are some more reviews of more of these great mini magic illusions done with cards from MagicBob:

#2 The Zig-Zag Queen 21 pages of detailed construction and performing with pictures. Many of you may remember the various models put out in the past, this one far surpasses them all. A frame that is made of cards has a Queen of Hearts inserted in side. The three sections of the face of the card can be seen clearly, yet you are able to slide the center out to the side, allowing them a clear view to the back of the deck. The frame is not hard to make at all, and like I said before, these instructions are very detailed down to the last minute detail.
I give it a 10 out of 10

#3 The Mismade Queen 27 pages of very detailed information and instructions including templates. I really like what MagicBob has come up with here, a cabinet made of cards that enables you to do a variation of the famous mismade lady illusion but done with a single Queen. After being mixed up, she is restored to normal. The visual effect is stunning, the mechanics involved are super, I really like the cabinet he has created with this one and can see more possibilities down the road.You can make this card cabinet with 1 window (lots of possibilities here) 2 windows, three windows or four, you can also make a four window frame like a window pane with a corner in each of the four corners. The handling on this is very easy. magicBob has thought every step through for you and these e-books are a fantastic value. You can also order the whole book, and he will send you what is finished now and the last couple as soon as they are done. These are definately worth every penny and more.
I give the Mismade Queen 10 out of 10 also.

#4 The Spiked Queen 22 pages This is a mini illusion known as thge spiker cabinet, where a lady is placed in a box and a sheet of spikes is passed through her body. In this mini illusion version MagicBob has used a card box as the cabinet. A queen is placed inside and a panel of spikes is passed through her body, she escapes, but now in true Assistant's Revenge fashion switches places with the magician (King) A penetration, and a transposition built into a very good and entertaining card trick that is really a miniature illusion. The E-book comes with all the details, pictures (17) plus the templates you need to make the card box. A material list giving you a listing of everything you will need to make this trick up. This one will take you about an hour to maybe an hour and a half to finish it up. But you are taken step by step through everything.

Again this gets a 10 out of 10 If it sounds like I really like these tricks, that is because I really do. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to have something different that has been thought through to the n'th. degree.

If you do not order the full book, then definately grab the individual tricks that tickle your fancy, once you get one and see the amazing detail and time that was put into these, you will go back and buy them all.

Tomorrow I'll give you a review of two more of these great mini illusions.
Grab one today and take a look, you'll be glad you did.
All the Best
Marty
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Thanks Marty!
Your endorsement is good enough for me. I was planning to wait for the full book release, but now I'm not sure that I can.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
"In Over His Head" (effect #7) is almost done. It's a mini-water torture cell escape. I'm getting pictures taken now and then it will be ready for proofing/editing.

In addition to the pre-order option outlined above (pay now, receive 6-7 completed effects immediately and the rest as soon as each is released), I'm willing to let folks who purchase 1-2 and later decide to purchase the complete book apply what the already spent towards the total price.

In other words, if you purchase 2 effects for $6 and then decide you want the complete book, you can just send the difference ($14) and take advantage of the discounted price for the complete e-book.

P.S. Marty, Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you are having fun with these. I certainly am having fun coming up with them.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys:
After numerous E-mails asking me what happened to teh reviews of the other two e-books as promised, here they are. I got very busy with Metro Magic, Kutztown coming up tomorrow and Bob Littles in a week plus filling orders.

#5 The Kremated King 16 pages of very detailed information with more than 14 pictures to guide you.
The effect is different, A cremation chamber (two card folder one being a paper covered frame) is placed on the table. Now from a deck of cards the top card is turned over and seen to be the King of Clubs. A spectator signs the back of the card and it is placed in the chamber. A match is lit and touched to the frame of the chamber where the paper goes up in a flaming flash. When the flames die down the king is seen to be charred and the flesh burned away leaving a skeletal king of clubs. The spectator removes the king from the chamber and it is turned over revealing the spectators signature on the back. If you wanted to, you could give the chamber and the king out for examination.
Like I said above, this one is different, I think there is a lot more that can be done with this in various presentations and handlings, but it is a good one to show the boys at the next club meeting. My only holdback here is the use of the flashpaper, but that is me personally and does not deter from the trick itself.
In the end of the book is a cute variation for children that is kid friendly called the X-ray king. This solves the part that I am uncomfortable with.
Of all the e-baooks from MagicBob, this one is my least favorite, but the detailed instructions for construction and working is perfect.
I will still give this 10 out of 10 even with my reservations about the trick only for the fact that what I may not like 100%, may be exactly what others do like, so it gets the good rating based on what you are given and the detail.

#6 The Disembodied Prince 14 pages of detailed construction with 14 pictures to guide you step by step through the construction of the prop.
A Jack is placed in a playing card cabinet with both ends remaining in full view. A snap of the fingers and doors on both sides of the cabinet are opened showing that you can see right through and the center of the Jack is gone.
Now get this...when you move the top exposed part of the jack, the bottom portion moves with it, yet you can still see right through the center, You can even put your fingers through the openeing, or I like to draw a 9 inch silk through the center. A spectator can put his or her fingers through the opening as well. The doors are closed and the jack is removed from the card cabinet unharmed and back to normal.
This is *** clever and if marketed as a ready made individual trick, would easily be a $30 trick. You will smile when you see the method used, pure genius.
This definately gets a 10 out of 10 also.

So there you have my reviews for the first six effects.
My personal favorites in order are:
1. The Disembodied Prince
2. The Divided Lady
3. The Mismade Queen
That is not to say anything bad about the others, I like them all, but these three to me are hands down the best. If any of you have been on the fence about getting this book, I highly recommend that you buy it. There have been zig zag cards in the past, but nothing like these effects. MagicBob has taken standard illusions and downsized them and made them up with playing cards, now that is the work of a genius for sure. You cannot go wrong with any of these e-books, or better yet, just order the whole book, MagicBob will send you what is done now, and the rest as they are completed.
Highly Recommended by me.
All the Best
Marty
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I also bought the full ebook from magic Bob, and received 6 of the tricks. His service is very good and he also sent me 2 other pieces of information, the last one is how to print cards on an inkjet that helps in making some of the gaffed cards.
So far I made the Mismade Queen, it started as a project together with my son (9years old), but ended been only myself doing the job. I believe I don't have the skills that Marty has on working with cards, so I need some try and error until I get it right, mostly on how to position the scotch tape to make sure the "door" of the box is kept close. The instruction came with a "box" with 3 windows or openings, but also has models for 2 and 4 windows.
Because I have an already mismade queen in my OOPS deck, I made mine with 2 windows.
All along I used 1 1/2 hour from looking for the cards and supplies (you need several duplicates cards and some other gaffed cards) to the time I started performing with the final product.
The routine is very good and have only a simple sleight.

If you like gimmick tricks, these are all very good, as I said I made only one, but the other 5 has same type of clear instructions with too many photos that take you step by step in the construction of the props.

I will do next the Disembodied prince, looks easier to build

Pablo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Do-It-Yourself Packet Tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL