The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which cups and balls routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
For the money Mark Wilson's can't be beat. I'd think it should be in any magicians library anyway.

When the C&B bug finally buries it's little head inextricably into you, you will gravitate towards the others anyway. But most beginners will not be best served by spending a lot. Anyway, what doesn't Mark Wilson's routine offer? From the spectators point of view....

Just me of course.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 19:10, Josh Riel wrote:
... what doesn't Mark Wilson's routine offer? From the spectators point of view....

Josh makes an excellent point here. The Mark Wilson Routine is touted as a routine for a beginner(which it is), but make no mistake about it, it will serve you well for years as a performance piece.
Personally, I morphed my Wilson C&B routine to include a wand, and an extra phase, but it is a fantastic routine right out of the book. The great thing about some of Wilson's routines is that it is so easy to try out new things and transform them into your own.

Enjoy!!

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I would recommend Micheal Ammar's DVDs also.

Daryl's Fooler Doolers Volumes 1 has a Cup and Ball routine with a single cup and an impromptu ball that I love. It isn't too difficult to learn.

Dan
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 19:10, Josh Riel wrote:
Anyway, what doesn't Mark Wilson's routine offer? From the spectators point of view....

I agree with James Tong and Josh "#2" Riel on this one.

But to answer Josh's question....
Some standard effects the Mark Wilson routine lacks:
Gags - Cup through cup, wand through cup.
Visual Vanish - Striking vanish, wand spin.
Visual penetration - Ball on fist move.

It also lacks Vernon's fake explanation. This omission is a positive in my opinion.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I gave away my Mark Wilson book a couple of years ago.
What was I thinking? I need to get another one.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I guess I didn't think of those things Josh "#2" the Superfluous because I don't personally find much use for them. I think after all the research I have done, I still loosely use the basic concept in the Wilson book. I cannot be certain right now because I lost it in our move last year. Which sucks.

Of course, for a serious C&B guy..... Man there's a bunch of good stuff.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 22:36, professorwhut wrote:
I gave away my Mark Wilson book a couple of years ago.

Forty lashes! Smile
I bought mine here for two bucks:
http://www.abebooks.com/

J. Tong: regarding the dog doo, big laughs. The final load is unexpected no matter what, but to have dog poop sitting there is pretty funny. Just not appropriate for all situations, I'll admit.

So the first phase of the Mark Wilson routine is incredibly easy. I remember it now from my childhood with the little plastic C&B in the cheap magic kits. Like most magic, once you know it, it's hard to believe it can fool someone. It just feels way too obvious.

But I'm practicing it with one gimmicked ball (until my MJM order arrives), which makes for some unexpected surprises, if you know what I mean.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Does the Wilson book cover final loads? I can't remember.
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Yes...three lemons.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
877 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Mitchb2, be sure to check out the "Ever So Sleightly" section of the forum, if you haven't already. Tonnes of stuff there for the C&B junkie.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
The one thing about C&B is that you can concentrate on learning this trick and be busy for the rest of your life. There is just so much that you can do with it. Do not just learn someone else's routine but learn the moves and then develop your own routine. God knows we have enough Gazzo clones out there already.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Mitch,
As you know I'm new to C&B's myself and I bought Ammar vol.1 and 2 and I'm really happy with the purchase! I dig Michael's teaching style and where as it almost seems elementary at times, it is loaded with cool subtleties and good tips on routine and presentation that will spill over into your other areas of magic as well! The 3 "basic" routines on vol. 1 seem like good foundation stuff and although I've only done a quick glance thru vol.2 it sure looks like with some mix and match and a smidgen of your own, you can create some pretty awesome magic!
Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same!
Mick
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I would also like to add that I think getting Michael Ammar's Complete Cups & Balls Vol 1 and 2 a well. Learn the basics. These DVD's are great and a very complete lesson in the C&B's.

From there you can take the moves you like and can create your own personailized routine. With the moves you are comfortable with.

For a nice quick routine I really liked Danny TOng's routine off the World's greatest Magic DVD Cups & Balls.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Definatly for a beginner that whats to really learn some stuff about Cups and Balls Get Ammars complete cups and balls! If you are a walk around type of performer I would suggest Gazzo's cups and balls and Carl Andrews Table hopping cups and balls, if you are serious about some cups and balls and want to learn some more in depth theory and slights on C&B check out Tommy Wonders DVD Visions of Wonder Vol. 1 it has a great 2 cup routine that I use a lot!
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I just watched Michael Ammar's performance on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzh3VbXSds

All I can say is Wow wow wow.

Does he teach those great wand flourished on the DVD, or do I have to look somewhere else for that.

I love how he so casually places the third ball on the cup while everyone is watching the wand.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Yes, it is taught in his dvds set.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3393 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 19:37, Jay Austin wrote:
The one thing about C&B is that you can concentrate on learning this trick and be busy for the rest of your life. There is just so much that you can do with it. Do not just learn someone else's routine but learn the moves and then develop your own routine. God knows we have enough Gazzo clones out there already.

You know, people say "Gazzo clones" often and I wonder what that actually means. After all, Gazzo patterned his routine after Vernon, and Vernon from Mallini. Is Gazzo, ultimately, a Mallini clone?

A lot of street performance uses rude humor- it gets a good cheap laugh, you know...

And a lot of street performers do a version of the Vernon C&B routine- this does not immediately make one a "Gazzo clone".
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Depending on your style, Carl Andrews's Table Hopping Cups and Balls might just be right for you with 2 cups..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I use Aldo Colombini's Mama-Mia Cups and Balls. Smile
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
Regarding this routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxV-uN6YTr0

Those people can see his lapped items, can't they?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which cups and balls routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL