The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Could I have a review of Sankey Items? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I want to get a Jay Sankey magic item when I go magic shopping next. I don't have any of Jay's items and want to get an item that has several of Jay's effects, both old and new. I've searched on google a bit but couldn't find much. Here are 2 items I'm looking at right now:

Sankey Tized: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1252 The effects in these DVDs are good, but what I'm looking at is the steep price. The effects seem worth it though. Which would you recommend if I had to choose: volume 1 or volume 2?

Sankey Pankey: http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=2964 Seeing that the book has Airtight in it, the book may have good effects. But I can't find a contents list on the web anywhere. It's the cheapest though, which is pretty good. How are all of the effects in here?

Mainly, I'm looking for a sort of "greatest hits" package. Please give input, and if you have any other suggestions, please say. Thanks!
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Try the 3-DVD set put out by L&L, "The Very Best of Jay Sankey."
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Thanks for the input so far. I found a contents list on the web: http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/kaufmansankypanky.htm Do you think that the effects in here are worth it? Also, about the Very Best series, one DVD costs about $30 with only about 15 effects, while I could get Sankey Pankey for the same price with over 30 effects. I may consider getting TVBO later instead of Sankey Tized. Right now though, I feel that my best choice is Sankey Pankey, but does anyone else have good input?
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Sankey Pankey is a good choice, I love the HPC-CPH in it. If you like coin magic, Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic DVD is also good.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Whether or not the effects in one book or DVD or another are "worth it" is completely subjective. It depends on so many factors that nobody can judge for you. What kind of venues do you usually perform in? Are you paid for performing? What's your style? Are you looking for strictly impromptu? What have you seen of Sankey's that leads you to think, "I should definitely get some of his material"?

If you've seen some of Sankey's material and it appealed to you, maybe you should contact Sankey (he's very approachable) and ask him which book or DVD he would recommend that has similar material.

One thing to decide is whether you really need the visual instruction that DVDs provide. If you find you learn as well from books than from DVDs, then forget about DVDs. They're certainly a much more expensive way to learn overall and tend to lead users to imitate the performer (inadvertently or not) moreso than books do. You almost always get a lot more for your money with books, but some people really want or need to see the effect performed in order to learn it.

--Josh
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Spot on - books are most economical.
Cards never lie
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Quote:
On 2007-09-24 20:28, Josho wrote:
Whether or not the effects in one book or DVD or another are "worth it" is completely subjective. It depends on so many factors that nobody can judge for you. What kind of venues do you usually perform in? Are you paid for performing? What's your style? Are you looking for strictly impromptu? What have you seen of Sankey's that leads you to think, "I should definitely get some of his material"?

If you've seen some of Sankey's material and it appealed to you, maybe you should contact Sankey (he's very approachable) and ask him which book or DVD he would recommend that has similar material.

One thing to decide is whether you really need the visual instruction that DVDs provide. If you find you learn as well from books than from DVDs, then forget about DVDs. They're certainly a much more expensive way to learn overall and tend to lead users to imitate the performer (inadvertently or not) moreso than books do. You almost always get a lot more for your money with books, but some people really want or need to see the effect performed in order to learn it.

--Josh

Thanks for the awesome reply. I mainly do close-up magic with cards, although I'm looking to spread out into other branches of magic such as coin magic. Currently, I'm not paid, but I hope to be. Smile I wouldn't mind having gimmmicks if they are awesome tricks. I also like Paul Harris's magic, and I've heard that Sankey is similar to Harris in ideas.

I understand the books vs. DVDs debate and I believe that books are better methods of learning. I can learn well from books, so right now my choice is probably Sankey Pankey. Any other input?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I would say you wouldn't go wrong with either Sankey Pankey or 100% Sankey (which contains an early version of "Paperclipped").

--Josh
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
Sankeys secret files is actually one of his better dvds
front row sankey also has a lot of material on it too
sankeys greatest hits has at least 7-8 effects you would definitely use, and the rest you could use
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Thanks for the help. Right now I'm planning on Sankey Pankey, but I have one more item I want reviewed:

Sankey Unleashed: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=863 This has over 80 effects, but Sankey Pankey seems to have better quality effects and more effects with cards (my speciality). Which do you think would be better: Sankey Pankey or Sankey Unleashed?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Acchessor,

Check out David Acer's review of Sankey Unleashed on http://mylovelyassistant.com. (You can also read reviews of most of Sankey's other books there.)

Sounds like you'd be better off with Sankey Pankey or 100% Sankey.

--Josh
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Ok. I think that Sankey Pankey and Sankey Unleashed could probably both be in my collection eventually, but I'll probably buy Sankey Pankey. BUT I found another possibility (trust me, this will go on forever). I've been looking around and found an announcement from Jay that he'll be releasing The Complete Sankey, a book series with a lot of his favorite routines. Any word on that?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Acchessor,

As far as I know, the routines in the first volume haven't been listed anywhere. So you'd just need to sit on your hands 'til it comes out and then figure it out. Given that it's a series, you can bet that you'll have to wait for future volumes if you want a really good sampling of stuff...and you'd have to invest in them.

I don't see why you'd want Sankey Unleashed over 100% Sankey...

--Josh
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Alright, this may seem off topic, but I found another alternative: The Collected Almanac by Richard Kaufman. It's only $20 more (easier to qualify for a bonus at Penguin!), has several effects found in Sankey Pankey, and has a lot more effects that don't require ruining cards. http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/kaufmanalmanac.htm
Does it seem worth it?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Fantastic book. Really a whole different animal than a Sankey book, however.

Look, if you've already decided that sooner or later you'll get all of Sankey's stuff, then it doesn't matter what you buy now, because by the time later comes around, you've have bought it all anyway. Right?

--Josh
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
When it comes to Sankey's material on DVD, there's a lot of overlap. So, don't feel like you have to buy every one. The 3 books are all different for the most part and will support his DVDs well. I have all 3 of his books. My personal favorite is 100% Sankey.

As already mentioned, "The Collected Almanac" is a great choice with a ton of material. Great value for the money.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Could I have a review of Sankey Items? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL