The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Coin Patriot" by Reed McClintock...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Reed, I'm really sorry to hear about what happened and am so glad your still with us. I've sent you an important e-mail.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Sorry to hear that you died Reed. But you came back to life! So it's all good.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Glad to know your back with us Reed

This DVD really seems like some hardcore coin work.

P.S My 1000th post…
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Thank you guys, I am fine and ready to move on. Again all of your support is appreciated. We are just making all of the transitions here.
Next on the list is:
Cups and Balls routine
My light/heavy gimmick for the close up worker; you know the box that is light, and then you make it heavy, or impossible to lift. I have a way to do this close up on the table and you can look through the box or use it with a cigarette pack or an empty glass, lots of things It will be called the universal light heavy gimmick.
I am also going to let go of my torn and restored card.
I have about five other things also lined up.
I have more I am letting go of in the future also. I will keep you all posted.
I thank all of you again for your support and friendship. It means a great deal to me.
Smile
Reed
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Glad to hear you are doing better. Just remember that now you can truly say that you have had worse days than the one you are having at the time. I have seen the face just like you have. I just didn't get quite so good a look at it as you did. Nonetheless, it does make you look at life much more differently. Just remember to love your friends and family, and NEVER assume they just know how much you care. Tell them. Good luck and God bless.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Here here.
It strange this new feeling about life that I have. This weekend I took my family to the ocean and did not do any tricks Friday or Saturday. That is the first time in years, I did nothing magic related. It was great to spend time with my family. My son had never seen the ocean and to watch his face light up when we crested that hill, holy smokes, was it a real magical moment in my life. I had forgotten about life outside of magic and so I will be taking many journeys and enjoying other things that life offers. Boy, I had missed out on so much because I took it all for granted. I won't be posting as much as I did before the issue. I will be here periodically, just not as much.
Smile
Reed

Reed McClintock 2003

tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Glad to know your back with us. You still live in Portland? I am a Chinese guy in Tillamook. Do you remember me? Maybe I can call you out with dinner or something. Smile
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Dude!!

I'm glad to know you are ok Reed.

Man, that would of been a terrible blow to the coin magic community.

Stay with us for a long time Reed. We need a guy like you helping us open new doors in magic.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
What I want to know is how come no one knew about this? Reed, did you want to keep this private?

Well, lets not dwell on the past. I'm glad you are still here with us. You provide many of us with inspiration, and you are just plain an awesome guy (even though I never met you in person, I can just tell). I hope to actually meet you one day. Take care.

-Frank G.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I have sat back and read this thread for the past couple of months now I feel I must comment. Let me start with this, I am in no way a coin worker. I prefer cards. However, I have seen many coin videos and DVDs. I recently watched the “Coin Patriot” with expectation of seeing amazing coin magic. To be quite honest I was very disappointed. The hype surrounding this DVD is about the same surrounding the EM Pocket Charger.
Why don't I like this DVD? Now I know some people will say it is because of some issues between Reed and myself. However, I'll be the first the say I went into watching this with an unbiased view.
I did not like this DVD for many reasons I'll just highlight a few:
Using lines like, "It's gone like a fart in the wind." I could understand this in an "American Pie" movie, but in a "revolutionary coin magic DVD"?
The unnaturalness in palming multiple coins (20). I applaud the ability but question the practicality. As someone who does not do coin magic I knew exactly where the coins were coming from, what is to stop a spectator from knowing the same thing.
The repetitiveness of producing coins between the fingers over and over. To me this was just boring.
Reed going in and out of character. If you have a personality when you are doing magic it is very important to keep the same one throughout. Otherwise you a.) look foolish or b.) confuse the spectators of who you are supposed to be.
There I have said it. I know I will probably receive a lot of PM's about this and I gladly welcome them. As far as recommendations I would recommend any video or DVD by David Roth, Michael Rubenstein, or Kurtis Kam for those who are truly looking for "revolutionary coin magic".
Seth Howard
WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
Jumping Catfish! I have this DVD and reading Seth's post, you wouldn't think we watched the same one.

I found the whole project incredible and a joy to watch and learn from.

As far as in and out of character, Bill Malone does this and says it's effective to do.

I think Reed is one of the most advanced thinkers in coin magic and this project showed that.

I also love the work of the other performers Seth mentioned.

I may not agree, but I'm glad Seth shared his thoughts and put some detail into them.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Seth Who?

Who is this guy???
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Mystre71,
What would it matter who I was? I am someone who watched the DVD and gave an honest review of it.
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
I have not yet (I will soon - next paycheck) bought this DVD. I am looking forward to it. I forsee alot of arguments because of Seth's post. Having seen other work of Reed's, I don't think I'll agree with him. BUT, this is a public forum, and I'm glad he has the guts to express his opinion. Seth, you may end up getting alot of flack for your post, but I thank you for dealing with what you believe to be legitimate concerns. Again, I doubt I'll agree with you, but everything man-made has its shortcomings.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
To address Seth's criticisms...

The routining of largescale coin productions requires some work beyond the productions themselves. The methods of getting loaded up for such productions are
well known to those who do silks or doves.

The performer's choice of patter and presentation in general is a personal matter and does not seem restricted by the routines construction or design.

The performer's management of their personae is also a matter unrelated to the mechanics of the routines on the DVD.

It might be easier to form an opinoin of Reed's performing style from a live performance for laymen.

I would suggest that after learning to manage coin loads and the basic productions as taught on the DVD, the student should explore using additional props or even just a scarf from which to 'wring' the coins.

Seth, what is your feeling about the 'freedom fly' routine?

also about making 'coin paintings' or sculptures?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Thank you for your "critique". I knew when I put out this work that I could not please everyone. If we all did the same material, magic would be not much fun. For those of you that are unaware, Seth Howard gave the world of magic a fine trick called Howard’s Hustle, a version of the two card Monte. Smile Smile

Reed McClintock 2003

cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Smile Smile Smile
Howard's Hustle is HARDLY a fine effect. When I saw a demo once I asked myself "why?"
"Gee, let me put this card behind my back so I can do something fishy with it."
I thought the whole point of a monte effect is that the cards don't leave the spectator's sight?

At least Reed's work is inspiring.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
WandSpin
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of WandSpin
I agree with cardguy. I sold this effect right after I disappointedly opened it up and read it. I was hustled by buying it!
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
First off, I didn't think this was a forum where I couldn't put a review.
To answer some questions, just because Bill Malone says it's okay to go in an out of character does not mean I have to agree with it. I personally believe you should have one character that you do magic with.
Second, I am not a fan of "painting a picture" with coins because of the fact in a restaurant setting you do not have that much room on the customer's table.
Also, there is no fishy move behind your back with the Howard'$ Hustle. If cardguy wants I can send him a free one. I understand reviewing something if you have seen it but to make an assumption about an effect you have never had is another thing.
Wandspin sorry you did not like the effect, many people have purchased and still use it just like Reed's DVD not everyone will like it and I don't expect everyone to.
Seth

I would also to make a note that I did not bring up my effect in this. I am just responding to it.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Hello there guys,

I just saw Reed's DVD and "Wow..." If you guys liked the three coin production out of my lecture notes, "Sense" you have to check out Reed's DVD! I was stunned at how he used it. I had never even thought it would go there. Have a GREAT day.

Corey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Coin Patriot" by Reed McClintock...... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL