The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I've been asked to go old school (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
I recently was requested to perform at a dinner party and was asked by the host family if I could perform a cigarette routine like they saw a magician do on youtube. When they emailed me the link it was Cardini...dun dun dun. The dinner party is not until mid-December but I know I need to get started ASAP. I'm very familiar with the Cellini cigarette routine but I'm not real keen on the lit cigarette catching/productions similar to those of Cardini. Any good resources and/or advice? Thanks!
John Iacono
View Profile
New user
N. California
53 Posts

Profile of John Iacono
If you can find the "Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks" by Keith Clark that would be a good start. Lot of sleights and illustrations of gimicks.
Some of the older shops may even be a source for cig. droppers.
You might try Mark Burger at the House of Magic. He has delt with older magic for may years. He does have a seb sight but. He also has adds on Geni
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
You could 'pad' the routine with a dealer cigarette trick or two. Look into Rey Ben's cigarette gimmick. Denny Haney does some fantastic cigarette manipulation so I would get in touch with him: http://www.DennyMagic.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
That's what I was thinking. Contact Denny Haney. He can help you.

Mark.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5355 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Melbourne Christopher once told me that Ted Anneman once had to perform a cigarette manipulation act. He simply set up cigarettes all over his suite including ripping seams to slide a cigarette into and out of the leg and elbow areas. He had them pinned under his lapel, up his sleeves, at the edge of his jacket, etc. He lit one cigarette that he would puff and then inhale a large mouthful of smoke. Thumb palm it as he tossed it away and produce another cigarette (unlit) from some other location (from his knee or elbow).

He blew the smoke through that cigarette and openly tossed it away producing the thumb palmed cigarette and taking a couple of puffs and again filling his mouth with smoke. He repeated this bit until he had produced maybe a dozen “lit” cigarettes then produced a cigar (metal dummy with a lit and smoldering cigarette inside - I have it in my collection!) then as he puffed huge clouds of smoke from it (holding a large volume of smoke in his mouth) he openly tossed it away and produced a pipe and bowed off with smoke coming out of the pipe!

The act used only two lit cigarettes, one of which was hidden in the metal cigar and the other that was lit openly on stage. Several unlit cigarettes (that had been blackened at one end - he used ink - hidden on his person for open productions, the metal cigar, and a pipe finale and he got the job done and a repeat booking!

He also had a couple of homemade match pulls (only needed the one but had two others as back up) to start the act by producing the burning match.

Frankly, if you keep it short and simple you will wow your audience since no one has seen a cigarette manipulation act in a generation or two. You don’t even see them at magic conventions anymore.

Write a short script of the effects you would like to perform and have a surprise ending and you are home!

Toss in Ron Jaxon’s “just smoking” gimmick for a comedy start (can’t light the cigarette because every time you go to light it the filter is at the end) or maybe use Tommy Wonder’s cigarette lighter to match box gag prop (lighter won’t burn so you turn it into a match box, take out a match and light the cigarette).

Call yourself the Great Nicotinni and cough throughout the act.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
906 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
John Calvert opens his act with cig manipulations and he does the whole routine smokeless. You should look it up. I have it on one of his videos and I saw him perform live at the Magic Castle several times.

Good luck!

Rudy
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I'm in Atlanta, I can teach you.
POOF!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-09-25 12:54, Harry Murphy wrote:

Call yourself the Great Nicotinni and cough throughout the act.

Harry, that's a good name to bill a cigarette act Smile
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Thanks a ton guys you all have been a great help! I looked around and recently found a P&L cigarette dropper in great working condition, so hopefully it will be put to good use soon. I'm definitely looking forward to working on this now.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Let us know how it goes. Cigarette manipulation is a very beautiful routine to watch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I've been asked to go old school (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL