The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Glues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I've found that the heat produced by such glues as Gorilla Glue weaken magnets. I want to permanently glue a magnet into wood. Anyone know of a glue that will hold metal and wood together without the heat?
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
GOOP glue should work just fine.

Sam
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I would be shocked if Gorilla glue can heat up enough to damage a permanent magnet any more than leaving a magnet out in the sun would. If the heat is really that intense, you can protect the magnet by surrounding it by a strong magnetic field using other magnets or an electromagnet while the glue dries, but I really can't believe you get any noticible loss of magnetism from such a small amount of heat. Are you going on hear-say or have you actually tested the magent's strength before and after?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Spellbinder, be shocked. Perhaps you misread the use of the word permanent. I want to permanently glue the magnet, not glue a permanent magnet. Stupid words, the order they are used matters. Smile
I'm not a hearsay fellow. I have glued magnets into various things and found that the strong glues that are used for multi-purpose use do weaken the magnets. I concluded without the benefit of scientific experiments that the heat from the glue weakened the magnet. It's possible that my hypothesis is incorrect and that some other factor has weakened the magnets, but weaker they are, considerably.

Sam, you say should. Have you experience or is this an educated guess?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I use craft glue or epoxy putty for permanently sticking the magnets on another surface materials. The craft glue I bought just say 'multi-purpose craft glue' and I really don't know the chemical name for it.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Thank you James & Sam. For my current project I have found a better work-around but in the future I'm sure glue type will come up.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Can you toss the glue into a cooler to cool things down?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I believe the heat is a reaction from the bonding process. Gorilla reacts with water to really get it going. The science behind it I am ignorant of. So I dunno if the heat is necessary for the glue to do it's thing, like say fire. Not a lot of cold fire around.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The heat given off by Gorilla glue and many resins as they harden is the chemical reaction that changes the stuff from a liquid that is easily worked into a very hard gripping new chemical, or new form of the old chemical. I am intrigued by the idea of allowing it to react in a cooler. It will still give off its' heat, but will the magnet be less effected? That would be fun to test one day.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Also occurs to me that for Guerilla glue to work you have to CLAMP the items very tightly... If you are doing this, it could be the clamping that is the issue.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2007-09-27 21:44, leapinglizards wrote:
Also occurs to me that for Guerilla glue to work you have to CLAMP the items very tightly... If you are doing this, it could be the clamping that is the issue.

If you have to clamp the item with something like a C-clamp then why not just use Elmers white glue?
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Any 5 minute epoxy, sold in A&B tubes will work very good.

Dr. solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-09-27 19:12, Cliffg37 wrote:
The heat given off by Gorilla glue and many resins as they harden is the chemical reaction that changes the stuff from a liquid that is easily worked into a very hard gripping new chemical, or new form of the old chemical. I am intrigued by the idea of allowing it to react in a cooler. It will still give off its' heat, but will the magnet be less effected? That would be fun to test one day.

I have not thought about the idea of using the cooler. I'll try that one day and see whether the magnet is affected in any measurable way.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I've use a double sided tape to hold magnets to wood. The ultra thin type that is used to adhere plastic labels to machinery or electrical cabinets. This tape is very strong. It is borderline permanent.

Dan
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
NEO magnets can lose their magnetism at a relatively low 170 degrees.
Cooling might protect the magnet, but I'd be prepared for the glue to not set up for a very long time. If heat is part of the curing process, lack of heat will likely mess up that process.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You mention gluing the magnet INTO wood, as opposed to ON wood. I have glued many small neo magnets into recesses using a gel CA, plus accellerant. With a reasonably well-sized recess, fitting the magnet very closely, the glue adheres to the bottom and all sides, creating a bond that is difficult to break without the shock of impact. The force required to break the bond is greater than the force require to cause the magnet to separate from its magnetic mate.

When I was somewhat more concerned about a non-breakable bond, I have countersunk the magnets from the opposite side of the work. A Forstner bit is used to drill a hole to such a depth as to leave just a veneer's thickness. The magnet, if sufficiently strong, will have the holding strength to overcome the very slight distance between it and its magnetic mate.

Regarding AB epoxys... it has been my experience that the faster the set, the greater heat generated. Thickness of the glue layer is also a factor. I have poured 5 minute epoxy, using it as one would polyester resin, and had it heat up so much as to literally burn to an amber color, and be so hot that you could not touch it.

PC-7 exopy paste is a very slow setting brand (about 24 hrs) that may work. I have not noticed significant heat generated during the cure. It is very effective for adhering to wood and metal, as well as other materials (some plastics, not so good).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Glues (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL