The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Abyss *The Revolutionary Coin in Bottle* - A review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
For $12 I think it would be worth it.
Bullet is in Abyss and so are a lot of things from Factory Sealed so there will be some overlap.
But in Abyss you'll get other things like a number of additional principles and variations. And other things like a really practical bigger coin then bottle, and 2 different sealed bottle methods.
I think you'll be able to add extra features to what you already know to get a stronger effect.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
I wouldn't say it makes it stronger, what the spec believes is the same...a coin in a sealed bottle.
What they remember is the same, and that's what is of the essence. It all boils down to your preference of performance. Spectators really don't think about half the things us magicians do.

Quote:
On 2007-11-12 02:34, wilfr3d wrote:
I have bullet and factory sealed and am happy with the 360 version of FS.
Would you guys still recommend me getting Abyss 2?

If you're already happy then you already have your answer.
It depends how much you like gimmicks also.
Abyss uses gimmicks you may already have from past effects.
It's up to you if you want to use them, just know you are confined to refills.

From another review...
Quote:
On 2007-09-28 13:57,
SEALING THE BOTTLE for Abyss2
------------------
There are 2 methods taught for this. They both use a gimmick, Not everyone will be able to use these methods. The second method really doesn't seem like it would work very well.
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
You get a lot more with Abyss then just the addition of using a sealed bottle. It works with all kinds of water bottles.
There is plenty of other concepts and stuff to make any CIB stronger or give you new potential. Using gimmicks is optional. You don't need them. I was surprised at all you can do with nothing more than a dollar bill in your pocket. It is all very practical and really strong. I recommend Abyss to anyone.
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
While some methods in Abyss don't require gimmicks, any of the methods that aren't very general do require them. The price may be alright, but refills do add up. I love coin in bottles...not too crazy about it though when gimmicking is involved simply because when I am out on the town I don't carry anything on me but my keys and wallet.

-Amadeus
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
Amadeus, that is not true at all.
You don't need any gimmicks to do Abyss and the variations are nowhere near general. I fact most of the best variations use nothing more then a coin and a bottle. In Factory Sealed the bottle isn't even sealed. If you want to just tell your spectator that "the bottle is sealed" like in Factory Sealed, then you can do Abyss with a big coin in factory sealed bottle EFFECT with absolutely no gimmicks at all. If you want to actually have the bottle sealed then you need something extra. If you carry a wallet then you can carry what you need without ever worrying about carrying anything, and with a cost of only a few pennies per performance. If you don't want to carry anything at all or need anything extra, then you can do the the whole Abyss trick but the bottle just won't be sealed. So if you want to do a sealed bottle or not it is up to you. But in Factory Sealed you don't even have that option. So that shouldn't be counted as a disadvantage of Abyss.
The truth is almost everything in Factory Sealed and Bullet is in Abyss. A lot of people like how those two don't use gimmicks, but the same things are in Abyss so the same benefits are also in Abyss. But Abyss also has extra variations not in those 2, some of them use gimmicks and some of them don't. If all someone ever carries are his keys and wallet, Abyss is perfect for that.
KMan1564
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of KMan1564
"The truth is almost everything in Factory Sealed and Bullet is in Abyss."

This really couldn't be further from the truth...plus Abyss 2 is more of an idea booklet for CIBs where Factory Sealed and Bullet are tried and tested routines. A few ideas are similar, but that's really about it.

Also, some of the techniques in Abyss 2 simply don't work under real test conditions...ie the Waterdrop.

I do, however, like the gimmicks included. They're pretty cool and innovative, but I just haven't played around with it enough.
New Mentalism and eMagic Supply Exclusives
http://emagicsupply.com/126.html
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Quote:
The truth is almost everything in Factory Sealed and Bullet is in Abyss.

No--

I'm sorry. This is just completely inaccurate. Factory Sealed and Bullet are FULL ROUTINES from beginning to end. Every little component that makes them work is explained in DETAIL. There are some good ideas in Abyss, and for the collector I would say, "Sure. Get both." Anything that gets the gears churning, and imagination running is good for you as a magician. However, if you're looking for something that is COMPLETE, something that will dazzle your audiences, then FS and Bullet are for you.

-Amadeus
Mikeal
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Mikeal
Fair enough. I see things differently and I stand by what I said.
From what I saw, Bullet had very little if any differentiation from what is in Abyss. Factory Sealed has more to it then Bullet but still very similar. You can see in my post I was responding the the comment that Abyss requires gimmicks to do anymore than general methods. What Abyss can do without gimmicks is the same as Factory Sealed and Bullet. Abyss, Factory Sealed and Bullet all can be done without the need of gimmicks. That was my point. I am not against Factory Sealed, I liked it. But there is a lot more to Abyss then gimmicks and ideas for a collector.
KMan1564
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of KMan1564
More and more I am liking the streamlined practicality of Factory Sealed versus all of this gimmicky stuff... Granted Nick's original creation was authentically factory sealed, hence the name...the streamlined version surely is factory sealed in the magical sense (which is what really counts). It's all about how it appears to the audience, what the audience remembers. Also, one of the gimmicks supplied in Abyss2 didn't work well for me. You were supplied with a decent amount of the certain gimmick, but about half the time I tried to use it, it just wouldn't work. (If you own Abyss2 you know which gimmick I'm talking about.)

To have the luxury to just up and go is where it's at in today's magic. The simplicity and beauty of Factory Sealed is what makes the effect what it is.
New Mentalism and eMagic Supply Exclusives
http://emagicsupply.com/126.html
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Quote:
"But in Factory Sealed you don't even have that option."

Not true, you most certainly do have options..you can use a traditional gimmick.
As with any CIB, you can simply gimmick it the OLE traditional way.
The problem is, it's extra work no matter how you slice it. This extra work and extra cost is typical for every CIB. You can gimmick any CIB. It's just requires extra time and effort. Who wants to though when you don't really "need" to.

I remember a bottle trick that used one of the gimmicks abyss does, I don't hear about it much anymore.

Any CIB can be gimmicked. One of the major things you can do now with the ellusionist produced product is simple not worry about gimmicking and long set ups due to the solutions provided in the DVD, which I personally think are great. Reactions say it all.

Quote:
On 2007-11-13 04:24, KMan1564 wrote:
To have the luxury to just up and go is where it's at in today's magic.

I agree. It truly is a luxury to have the same high impact where you are not subjected to carrying around gimmicks that ultimately require refills anyway.
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
I just received Factory Sealed and Bullet in the mail yesterday.

I watched the 'performances' of F.S. 3 times before I would allow myself to watch Justin's teaching. The 'reactions' on this DVD are worth the purchase alone.

What the audience PERCEIVES AND RECEIVES......IS MAGIC! Plain & Simple!

Nick's method for this is, in MY opinion, INGENIOUS. My only complaint about the DVD, I wish they would have had some performance of "Nick the Man" himself performing this. Mind you, Justin makes plenty of reference to Nick V. being the BRAINCHILD behind this.

I don't know how a Coin IN/THROUGH a bottle could look much more magical than this, but I do have on order, Impervious and Abyss 2. I received Bullet along with F.S., but have only watched the Performances so far. I will watch them again, 2 or 3 times, and will then watch the teaching.

But, again, the 'reactions' on the DVD are worth the purchase alone.

These routines are a THING OF BEAUTY, a MASTERPIECE, at least in Justin's hands.

Just MY opinion though - however, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for any CTB lover.

smitty
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
I received Factory Sealed and Bullet about a week ago. BRILLIANT magic. Loved them both. Great thinking went into these, and superb teaching, of course, by the 'one and only' Justin Miller. Today I received Impervious and Abyss2 in the mail.

I've just briefly skimmed through the Aybss2 booklet - great gimmicks - great photos - I'm looking forward to reading through this, and working on some of the ideas.

smitty
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Im planning on getting Abyss: Revolutionary Coin in Bottle and Prohibition. Does Abyss: REV come with the gimmick needed for Prohibition?
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
FADE
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles,CA
135 Posts

Profile of FADE
Hey MagicianDM,

Abyss and Prohibition are two (2) absolutely different effects. Both ARE visually entertaining, pure eye candy and a pleasure to perform - get 'em both!

Nuff Sed,
"Change the way you see things and the things you see will change."
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 17:38, MagicianDM wrote:
Im planning on getting Abyss: Revolutionary Coin in Bottle and Prohibition. Does Abyss: REV come with the gimmick needed for Prohibition?

Yes and no. It does NOT come with a ring.

Jeff
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Oh ok, but Im not getting Prohibition becuase normally I don't wear a ring and I have a coin in soda which uses the same move as in Prohibition and I don't like it.
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I love my little Abyss booklet.It has great clear color photo's and tons of ideas and methods.Some gimicked and some not.It comes with some gimicks to do the gimmicked versions.They also give you versions that don't use them.You can pick which one to use depending on the situation.I for one love the book because of the many methods and ideas and the very cheap price.In my opinion you'll get more than your money's worth.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I'm looking for my first CIB effect so apologies for resurrecting this thread.
My questions are -

1) What's with the dollar bill references in this effect? Is a dollar essential or can any currency be used?
2) This is for plastic bottles only right?
3) Have any better CIB's been released since Abyss?
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I am intrigued that the ad reads "not just limited to coins" ...
anyone care to elaborate?

Wulfie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Abyss *The Revolutionary Coin in Bottle* - A review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL