The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Bar Hopping In Japan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Stob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of James Stob
I enjoyed the "travelogue" of Japanese magic bars in the October issue..

I was particularly jealous of the atmosphere for the performance. People come to see magic - quite a difference from the good ol USA.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I enjoyed reading the article too. Kaufman's descriptions of each bar and the pictures give us a sense of how the bars must be like.

Also, you can watch the performance of "Straw Warp," one of the two tricks included in that article, here.

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=002966

Best,
Charles
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I breezed over the coins and purse routine last night before going to sleep and I intend to look at it closer this weekend!
I've watch some stuff on YouTube staring Shoot and a handful of others and Asian audiences are always so enthusiastic and polite! I love the looks of awe and astonishment I see on the specs faces. So much nicer than a drunk heckler in a US venue! LOL
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
I will be reading this section of the mag this week-end.
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
James Stob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of James Stob
Quote:
On 2007-09-26 19:47, MickeyPainless wrote:
.......I love the looks of awe and astonishment I see on the specs faces. So much nicer than a drunk heckler in a US venue! LOL

I know this isn't exact, but Mike Close said in one of his interviews "they don't want us to do what we love to do". Hard to accept, but probably truer than many of us realize.

jas
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I was shocked to learn that these bars still existed. In the USA they are almost totally extinct. That fact alone saddens me to no end; how refreshing to learn that people go to lounge and drink and watch magic (and paying top dollar for the privilege to do so!) on the other side of the world...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I managed to visit a few of these amazing bars in Tokyo 2008. Had a great time. But the reason I post to this old thread is that I hear some of them are closing due to the problems with the economy. That's a real shame.

I'm hoping to go back this year so if anyone knows which ones have closed I'd be grateful for the information.

s
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Bar Hopping In Japan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL