The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I listen to a diversified selection of obscure old and new music of all Genre. In short I am a life long music snob.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Pop, Hiphop and Country. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Mostly classic rock, 70s-era rock & roll, and metal, and of the metal, mostly progressive metal, power metal, and NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal). In particular:

On the metal side: Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Corrosion of Conformity, Monster Magnet, Fates Warning, Dio, (early) Metallica, Anthrax, Iced Earth, Ozzy, Motörhead, Judas Priest, (early) Queensryche...

On the classic rock side: The Who, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, The Animals, Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, Styx (yeah, I said it)...

70s era stuff: Pink Floyd, Rush, Van Halen, UFO, Rainbow, Blue Oyster Cult...

Also like some southern rock: Petty, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, 7 Mary 3...

And some alternative/grunge/crossover: The Cult, Oingo Boingo, Sisters of Mercy, Alice in Chains...

And a little jazz and blues.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have said this many times I don't think any of you believes me but when you live in Philadelphia you bleed music.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
60's rock, 80's rock, musical theater and (if the wife is playing music on her computer) J-pop.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I listen to almost anything. Pop-wise I love the prog rock of the 70s and the rebirth of the guitar in the 90s. Lyrically, Leonard Cohen and U2 have a special status for me. I'm wearying of blues, but a lot of 50s-60s-70s Jazz has taken its place on my listening lists.

I love classical music, but I need to change my life to listen to more. We've settled into a 2-3 minute space for everything, and a string quartet or symphony doesn't fit into the modern pattern, I'm afraid.

Nonetheless, nothing continues to move me like Brahms' Fourth Symphony. There is something very deep in that music, and it never fails to elicit a very strong reaction.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Depends on who I'm around.

Brother: classic rock, Beatles, rap
Little Brother: Michael Jackson
Sister: modern pop, Beatles
Mom: old Christian
Dad: classic rock
Everybody combined: Modern country

Myself: Modern rock (Linkin Park, Relient K, Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, Rise Against, Say Anything, The Story So Far, just to name a few.)
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Holy crap, it's been 11 years? What have I done with my life?!?!?!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Timeless rock: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who (My "holy trinity")

Classical: mainly Russian with Rachmaninov my favorite. His Vespers is beautiful.

Blues: Old school real blues: Howlin' Wolf, Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc.

Other rock: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Dream Theater, Within Temptation, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, The Scorpions - especially their newer stuff, Blue Oyster Cult, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Nightwish, Blackmore's Night, Rainbow, The Doors, CCR, Terry Reid, Dropkick Murphys, U2, Led Zeppelin. I have a strong bias to British bands but not a huge Rolling Stones fan).

Folk artists: Eric Bogle, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Arlo Guthrie, Woody Guthrie, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan

Sacred: Eastern Orthodox Christian Byzantine Chant, Gregorian Chant, Black Gospel

Hard to categorize: Daniel Lanois, Alison Krauss, Diana Krall ,Paul Simon (love S&G of course but Simon's Graceland period is off the charts splendid)

Celtic/Irish: Loreena McKennitt, Clannadh, Enya, The Chieftains, really, just about anything Irish, Celtic, Gaelic!

Traditional Italian music especially the old songs from southern Italy and Sicily (Sinatra need not apply LOL)

I LOVE Indian ragas (Thank you Ravi Shankar. May his memory be eternal)

Big Bluegrass fan (obvious because of the close ties to Irish and Scottish music) BTW I need to add a pet peeve that I really hate it when people lump Bluegrass and Country into the same category. They are distinctly different genres. Ironically, it's Americans that tend to make this mistake while here in the EU people know the difference. (Note: I am American)

I am a pianist/keyboardist so I want to list a few favorites here from the rock genre: Kevin Moore, Keith Emerson, Martijn Spierenberg, Rick Wakeman, Dennis DeYoung, Elton John, Derek Sherinian, Jordan Rudess.

Favorite guitarists: Joe Satriani, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Lang, Jeff Healy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Harrison, David Gilmour, Django Reinhardt, Andres Segovia, Carl Perkins, Michael Hedges
Bass: Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Jaco Pastorius, Chris Squire
Drummers: Neil Peart, Carl Palmer, Ringo Starr, Mike Portnoy
Rock vocals: Brad Delp, Geoff Tate, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, John Fogerty, Dana Fuchs, Ann Wilson, Amy Lee, Sharon den Adel

I listen to some Jazz - mostly Cool Jazz. That said, I like some of Stan Kenton's (at the time) experimental stuff.

Music I STRONGLY dislike: Country, Dutch folk music - it's either "oompah" stuff or else smarmy, overly sentimental pap. Hip Hop, Techno, House, and any type of music that feels automated.

Finally, the two rock acts I cannot stand, do not listen to, and in fact would rather listen to 10 straight hours of the music I strongly dislike than 1 minute of: AC/DC and Ted Nugent. BLECHHH!!!!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Currently listening to a lot of Mahler and going through the the Murray Perahia Collected Mozart Piano Concertos.

On vinyl of course. The only way to listen to recorded music.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Ah, Mahler. He had such interesting ideas about symphonic form.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Since I got saved I mainly listen to Christian metal, rock and worship music.

Metal examples: Demon Hunter, August Burns Red, Living Sacrifice

Rock examples: Third Day, Old Man Shattered, Kutless, RED

Worship: Chris Tomlin, etc...

Once in a while I go down memory lane and listen to some of the really musically good bands of yesteryear that I grew up on, but then the message bugs me and I let it go.

Secular music I've listened to lately- as in, the last few years: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Rainbow

But I also like music with no real message like classical, some jazz and big band, music from Cirque du Soleil

Some country- but not too much really.

Old school blues

Rock on my magic brothers! (and sisters!) Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I was playing Mahler when my girlfriend walked in and said it reminded her of movie music. (she knows nothing about classical music). I said, exactly; where do you think the movie guys got all their stuff.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 11:51, Preston68 wrote:
Since I got saved I mainly listen to Christian metal, rock and worship music.

Metal examples: Demon Hunter, August Burns Red, Living Sacrifice

Rock examples: Third Day, Old Man Shattered, Kutless, RED

Worship: Chris Tomlin, etc...

Once in a while I go down memory lane and listen to some of the really musically good bands of yesteryear that I grew up on, but then the message bugs me and I let it go.

Secular music I've listened to lately- as in, the last few years: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Rainbow

But I also like music with no real message like classical, some jazz and big band, music from Cirque du Soleil

Some country- but not too much really.

Old school blues

Rock on my magic brothers! (and sisters!) Smile

If you're a Christian band who likes oldschool metal, you're probably familiar with some if these guys, but if not, you'd probably like them:

Barren Cross
Sacred Reich
Saint
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
That Saint sounds cool. Like real old school metal.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Music (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL