The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Learning to weld (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Ok, first, let me say I know my way around a shop very well. The one thing I have not learned to do is metal work. This is my next goal. I want to learn about gasless Mig welding and using a plasma cutter. I've talked about this a bit here before.

My plan is to find a good welding class either at a welding supply shop, or at a vo-tech, however, I would like as much "book" knowledge as possible before I go in to get hands on training with the real tools. Having been around welding shops before, I respect very hot molten metal and want to make sure I have a good knowledge base before I would get around the equipment itself. I also think it will help me choose the right learning environment, as I will have a better idea what questions to ask.

So, are there are good basic text books, and/ or web resources you would recomend that discuss safety, basic techniques and use of equipment, as well as perhaps some of the equipment differences?

Thanks in advance.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
578 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Howdy,

By deffinition MIG welding is short for Metal Inert Gas. I do not know of a gas free process other than stick welding. In stick welding the flux on the stick provides the necessary gas shield for the weld pool.

Another process is TIG welding, again this involves inert gas.

For a basic education look here: http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/......m?ID=929

Bill
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Here's a book you might look at as well. It's called "Welding Basics: An Introduction to Practical & Ornamental Welding."

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/welding.html

Good luck. Mark.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1932 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
There is flux core wire that can be used instead of gas.

Before I became office bound I spent a lot of time in sheet metal and fab shops. Unfortunately I never had a lot of use for the books. If your talking long term contact your Sheet Metal Workers Local(SMWIA). There you will get paid to learn, and welding is taught as it is a large part of the trade. I took a WABO course at the Yakima Community College so that might be an option for you (any community college, not Yakima though as it doesn't offer welding anymore), both will give you books.

Either way good luck, for a trade that will destroy your body and rob you of your life precious, welding can be fun.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
578 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Hello Leaping,

I had a conversation with one of the people on our production floor about welding. Flux core is a definate option that I was not aware of. Units can be purchased at places like Home Depot that run on 120 volt 60Hz. (household) current. At the same stores you can find plasma cutters powered the same way. You may have me going on a new hobby.

Bill
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
That is what I was looking into; flux core MIG welding, and a small plasma cutter. I had looked into one unit that was a combo unit, both plasma cutter and wire MIG welder.

Again, I do want to get formal training, even if it is just with an experienced welder for a few weeks to start, but am familiarizing myself with the equipment.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You might ask around with the people you know at church, school, friends of friends, etc... I bet you can find a machinist who can work with you on the weekends and help get you started.

Mark.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I weld professionally.

One of the books that I would suggest that actually puts things into perspective would be the Monster Garage "How to Weld *** Near Anything".

If you want to get a little cheapie weekend warrior 110 volt "buzz box" I would definatly suggest one of the ones made by Lincoln or Miller.

Other than that practice practice practice.

Well that and don't by one of the cheap autodarkening hoods from Harbor Freight, I have a good explination why, although it has some cursing in it, it explains why I don't like it.

http://lone-metalhead.livejournal.com/84450.html

Other than that, talk to one of the local welding shops, offer to trade a show for welding lessons.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Have you tried entering "mig welding instruction" into a search engine like google, there are a lot of on-line tutorials there, as well as books and videos for sale. I believe the Navy once put out a series on welding. Technically it is in public domain, so be careful where you buy one of these, I've seen sites offer them for large prices and then someplace else has them for a free download.
By all means get some hands on instruction. It is different from stick welding. And I'd second the suggestion from the pro above to stay with Miller or Lincoln equipment. Best equipment out there for the money. You might find cheaper units, but you get what you pay for.
I took metal shop in High School, and learned stick welding. First time I tried MIG it was a disaster. Not like stick welding at all. And don't be afraid of using the gas. I got a local welder who was in my judo class to give me a couple lessons in mig and had no trouble with it afterwards. I had read material on it, and seen a video, but nothing beats that hands on training.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Learning to weld (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL