The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Newspaper test - references please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I'm looking for references on what I believe is a newspaper test.
This effect is where a word is predicted and a newspaper is repeatedly torn with the spectator being asked which portion to keep and which portion to discard until you're down to one small piece. Then a word is picked from the piece and proven to be the predicted word.
I'm being purposefully general here since I'm sure dozens of effects more or less fit this effect. It's probably a standard. I just don't what it's called. The closest I've found so far is in Nostrum Necromancy.
What prompted this is I recently saw Eric Anderson's version during a lecture, liked it, learned the method and became convinced there are others out there.
Unfortunately in my search of The Café, I keep getting references to T & R newspaper, which is not what I'm after at all.
Any help would be apreciated.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Mind Myth & Magick by T A Waters.
Has whole chapter on this effect.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Practical Mental Magic - Theodore Annemann explains different book test that require newspaper.
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
674 Posts

Profile of Bedford
The effect you are looking for (or one of them) is called "Classified Ad Prediction" by Joe White. You will find it on page 60 of Tarbell #7. It's as you describe but instead of just a word being selected it's a particular ad. But the spectator does select which torn portions to keep and which to discard as the trick moves along.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Thank you all.
I did search Practical Mental Magic but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
I'll dive into Mind Myth & Magick. The Joe White effect sounds close enough that
I'll have to look into that one also.
Thanks again.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
David Bergalss Book (Now Out of Print)....there is an Execellent Newspaper Test in it
Bushido
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Bushido
Not sure if this will help, but in the artful mentalism of bob cassidy there is a newspaper routine where the page is torn into 32 slips and you count to any given number chosen by the spec.

This can be done almost on the spot
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 11:39, Bushido wrote:
Not sure if this will help, but in the artful mentalism of bob cassidy there is a newspaper routine where the page is torn into 32 slips and you count to any given number chosen by the spec.

This can be done almost on the spot

Interesting that you should mention that one.
In Mind Myth & Magick, T.A. Waters says that this type of routine tends to come in two flavors. The torn pieces are eliminated by the spectator until one remains or the torn piece is arrived at by a number selected by the spectator.
Sounds like the Cassidy routine falls in the second category.
Not sure which I would prefer but I do like the apparent simplicity of the elimination approach.
I'll check out Cassidy's routine. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Newspaper test - references please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL