The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..16..23..30..37..44..47~48~49 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Have a safe trip down Bourbon Street, and keep your top on. Smile
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Wow I am surprised that over night (in Israel) that post made such a big debate.
Here is the answer: I know for SURE that four of the ten competitors at 'Phenomenon' are FORMER Israelis who now live and work in USA.
Three of them did not audition for the 'Successor'. One of them was in the 'Successor' show.
I believe that we all see who is in the show (which NBC keeps as a top secret) on October 24th.

Now, for the sake of WHY four Israelis are the show: I believe that's because many Israelis are very good mentalists. They didn't go to the audition with ESP card tricks or card to pocket effects.
Also…remember were Uri Geller originally came from….

I guess that the production really wants mentalist on the border of 'maybe do have something in them' and not ordinary magicians that will be overlooked.
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
It is funny and sad--more sad than funny--to see people arguing about factors which pale in significance to the fiasco of this show being on in the first place. "Phenomenon" can only hurt mentalists. (No matter where they hail from!)

Exposure of methods in various manners. Mental magic tarring more legitimate mentalism. And most likely some botched performances a la "America's Got Talent." Almost all of us will regret "Phenomenon."

So much will seem less special, less mystifying, less unique to the public.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
What I find funny is that certain people on this forum have been idolizing Geller, and couldn't say any bad things about him. But the second that he does something that is against them, then that's when the criticism comes.

Life can be pretty ironic sometimes. Smile
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
In Israel the show made a big noise. Every week there were at least 3 articles at the main newspapers AGAINTS the show. Some magicians who weren't accepted to the show exposed gimmicks like clipboards in other TV shows.

There was a morning show host who went to magic store and purchased gimmicks as the invisable loops. He did tricks on his show every day claiming HE doesn't have special powers.

The funniest thing about that is that none of the mentalists at 'the Successor' claimed to have supernatural abilities at the first place.

I don't know if the 'Phenomenon' will get as much publicity and/or criticism.
One thing is for sure: in USA the show will get more respect because Americans admit the enjoy magic/mentalism way more then Israelis.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I see the ad campaign is up and running...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5sRA6typn4
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 03:07, Roei wrote:
The funniest thing about that is that none of the mentalists at 'the Successor' claimed to have supernatural abilities at the first place.

There were a couple there who claimed it in the first episodes, during the short biograhpy video clips. Though I remember you were not one of them.
RIMA2282
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of RIMA2282
Roei,
If I did answer the question I wasn't going to say anything bad, but in today's society you can't say anything without offending or ****ing off someone so that is why I didn't say it.

Also you said in Israeli a morning talk show host went to a magic store and bought stuff to expose it. See that is what I am afraid of happening in the US if this show become popular. I hope the people on this show you very clever and devious methods that you can't buy at magic stores or find online. If I was the producer I would say everything has to be original and you can't do stuff that can be purchased at "magic stores."

I rather see some good strong mentalism and not mental magic. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE between the two and if you disagree you are not a mentalist, you are a magician. Also it looks like they gave it a supernatural spin trying to find a person who has "powers" if that is the case the heck did they want magicians, everyone in society knows that magicians don't have powers, but they might believe a mentalist does.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I don't get it. When mentalist come to perform in America, there is not a lot of drama. So what is wrong with mentalist performing in other countries? We are all God's children.
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
- Dynamike, ? ? ? I didn't get it. What did you mean?

- The host at the morning TV show did not expose the secrets he bought. He said: You see, I can do it too and don't have supernatural abilities.

- RIMA2282, thank you for explaining your other post. I believe that TV producers can't know what is original. There are gimmicks which are not the effects as the invisible loops and you can get it at magic stores and dealers...

If you want to see all the numbers we did on the show, get to the following link, press on any competitor's picture and you'll get to his page with everything he did as well as clips hat were made for the successor web page only.

http://www.keshet-tv.com/geller/Candidates.aspx

Oh, you'll have to overcome the fact it's all in Hebrew (not that hard to understand though).
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks for all of the information Roei. You've been a great help!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 04:54, Roei wrote:
- Dynamike, ? ? ? I didn't get it. What did you mean?

I meant the same thing Slim King put; "Thank you, you are a big help."
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'm 41 years old and have worked in television for nearly 20 years as a voice over talent.

I won't say who, what or when, but I can tell you that many times, as an experienced voice over talent, I've been told that they HAVE to have an audition process but that I already had the job.

Why? Because people with influence liked me, my voice and my work ethics.

I have always felt weird about this because I wondered how many times I auditioned for something in the early days and had my hopes up, when in fact someone already had the gig.

Did this happen on this show to some? It's very possible that it has ... then again maybe not.

I've had producers say they will work with me on a particular job and only me and they make it difficult for people to chose anyone else. Did this happen here? Could have ... then again maybe not.

Uri Geller or even Criss Angel could've said "Look, I want this person in or I won't do this or that, or I walk, or etc...."

I use to fight that old saying "it's who you know", but as I get older I realize that "who you know" can be a HUGE help in anything you do.

The reality is we might've thought we were all competing for ten spots when in reality there were only six, or seven, or eight, or five. Who knows.

If there is a Phenomenon in England you bet your sweet *ss I'll be there auditioning, so I don't particularly see anything wrong with that. The only problem I see is from the production standpoint, if they want America to vote, don't have a show with eight foreigners and two Americans (for instance) because Americans won't be inspired and motivated to vote, and the show makes money when people vote.

Also, it sounds weird to have AMERICA'S TOP MENTALIST be a young girl from Turkey, as an example.

If England's Phenomenon has three Americans, two Mexicans, two Israelis, and one Brazilian, English citizens might not be too excited about voting week after week on the show. Why would they care?

I don't speak German, but wouldn't it be unlikely that American ALEXANDRE from Miami Florida would win German's Phenomenon show? Can you imagine me there with the balloons and confetti dropping, holding the big check in the end?
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 10:08, ALEXANDRE wrote:

Also, it sounds weird to have AMERICA'S TOP MENTALIST be a young girl from Turkey, as an example.

If England's Phenomenon has three Americans, two Mexicans, two Israelis, and one Brazilian, English citizens might not be too excited about voting week after week on the show. Why would they care?

I don't speak German, but wouldn't it be unlikely that American ALEXANDRE from Miami Florida would win German's Phenomenon show? Can you imagine me there with the balloons and confetti dropping, holding the big check in the end?

America's Got Talent has 2 judges that are British.. that also doesn't make sense to you?

Dania from the Quick Change was born in Russia, and yet it didn't prevent people watching her and David over 20 million times on Youtube. They were a big success.

We had our own version of that show a few weeks ago, and we had partcipants from other countries like, Russia, France, Georgia (the country), and America.. no one seemed to have a problem about it.

So maybe your claims are pretty baseless that viewers don't want to see foreigns on shows like this.
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
ALEXANDRE, all 4 Israelis on the show are US citizens (having Green Card), which makes them American, right?
If you ever attend the German Phenomenon and win a check, I'll split it with you (or at least, save me some confetti).... Smile
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1859 Posts

Profile of Lior
They are all citizens of the USA now
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Big Package plus with the Big Trivia, The small Trivia, The puzzles
The First letters, The Celebrities, Subliminal PowerPoint, the VMC lecture
and many more routines [/url]

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13145 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Roei

Quote:
all 4 Israelis on the show are US citizens (having Green Card), which makes them American, right?

No, it does not. It just means that they are legal immigrants, they are not US citizens.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I never said viewers don't want to see foreigners on these shows, sure they do.

From a production standpoint I'm just suggesting that the majority of contestants would have to be from the country where the show is being produced, that's all.

Especially here in America where all things American are very important.

But that wasn't the main point of my post anyway....
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
From a production standpoint I'm just suggesting that the majority of contestants would have to be from the country where the show is being produced, that's all.

They are, they live there.

Quote:
Especially here in America where all things American are very important.

Sorry, I doubt that Americans are that shallow.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Arnold (The Terminator) isn't an American citizen?????

Watch out...... KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"Tony Eye?"

"Yes?"

"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..16..23..30..37..44..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL