The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..22..28..34..40..46..47~48~49 [Next]
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Arnon: Great post.
I didn't understand what was it's purpose though...
I always mentioned the Israeli show as 'The Successor' and the America version as 'Penomenon'.

Ehud Segev got second place in Israel. Now he is for sure in 'Phenomenon'.

The show format (made by Kuperman production and Keshet TV) was also sold to Germany. I bet it will be sold to the UK and other countries as well.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 11:37, Roei wrote:
Arnon: Great post.
I didn't understand what was it's purpose though...
I always mentioned the Israeli show as 'The Successor' and the America version as 'Penomenon'.

Then Roei, what do you make of this post of yours?:

Quote:
On 2007-10-10 02:22, Roei wrote:
ALEXANDRE, There will NOT be a second season of Phenomenon IN ISRAEL.

My purpose was clarification.
:D
Arnon
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Criss Angel is often cited as bringing magic back into the mainstream pop culture with his successful A&E series Mindfreak. On October 24, Angel will team with fellow mentalist Uri Geller on NBC's Phenomenon to assess the skills of 10 performers, some mentalists and some claiming genuine psychic abilities, who have their hopes pointed at securing a piece of Angel's real estate on the pop culture landscape. Audiences will votes to advance performers, but not before Angel and Geller have a chance to assess the would-be Houdinis. Angel held a press conference today to share his feelings on participating in the show, and to give a preview of how he would be judging the contestants.

Angel displayed a seriously skeptical side from the beginning, having no trouble admitting that everything he does is an illusion, and that he claims absolutely no psychic or truly magical ability. Those who do, though, better watch out. Angel doesn't take kindly to the likes of ‘performers' like John Edwards, who use their feats of mentalism to bilk huge appearance fees and take advantage of the grief of their audiences. “In my opinion, all of that stuff is a bunch of garbage.” Angel exclaimed.

Contestants coming to Phenomenon who claim to have real psychic abilities will find a tough critic in Angel. “I'm sure we are going to have people that claim they have supernatural power, and that's going to be fun to expose them live, and on television.” Angel told reporters on a conference call, which BuddyTV participated in.

The structure of the show will involve contestants demonstrating their abilities then, a la American Idol, Angel and Geller will give their impression of the performance. Audience members then get a chance to vote for who they would like to see come back.

Of course Criss could not escape the halo of his recent association with Britney Spears. Spears' doomed performance at the VMA was originally to include an illusion by Angel, but it didn't come to pass. “I spent a lot of time with Britney, to develop what that was going to be, and then realized that her commitment to doing that stuff was not at the level that it needed to be, and she wanted to go in another direction.”

Phenomenon premieres October 24, and runs for five weeks.

Jim, you better watch out. Smile
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Jim is ready.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
The avenging Angel of Karma might run over the "I am the real deal" Dogma.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4312 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 20:22, JohnEBlaze wrote:
I dig Reaper on the CW
Reaper is awesome as well, was watching it last night. I'm keeping up with all the episodes
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
I heard Morgan Strebler is going to be on the show?
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Here's an article about the 10 contestants with a heart-warming little bio about each one:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=38245

B
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17655 Posts

Profile of Slim King
WOW!!!!
Very Cool! Smile
Thanks BOB
:cheers:
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Jan Bardi - "I am not French... I am from Belgium!" - which he should state to keep the American audiences on his side Smile... sounds cool... the Pyramid of Giza! I already like this fellow and I haven't even seen him perform!

Guy Bavli - A true creator of mentalism gadgets and methods... didn't expect this... watch out for the clipboards!!! This show is going to be great - watching him in action besides DVDs!

Jim Callahan - The Paranormalist - the closest thing to the bizarrist dark horse... although he has at least three to one odds (bringing along J ack and Raymond make 3)... it is really cool to see your name officially up there, Jim! Give them Hel... I mean... give them some extradimensional plane experiences!!!

Angela Funovits - The lone female... but as mentioned earlier... she has a combination of things that will likely get the audience on side... plus she uses magic to help the ill... so, again - an excellent choice and someone if the others think is just a youngin will likely end up getting fried by!

Wayne Hoffman - wow - charmed the pant(?) off the Girls Next Door... I got a feeling this fellow can blend in comedy and charm into mentalism... yet another interesting person!

Jim Karol - Wow! The Jackass mystic... I mean that in the good way - as the JackAss movies were wild! One can only hazard to guess what insane mental / physical stunts might be performed... really, the choosers of the contenders did well - everyone is quite unique....

Gerry McCambridge - 6 Children???! He HAS to be a master mystifier... wow, another Big Gun... I'm actually surprised he is in this since he really already has enough mental cred to be considered a successful mentalist... but also, perhaps he represents the classic type... needed to round out the 10 archetypes..

Eran Raven - Ah... a psychic-type! This fellow sounds very interesting indeed! A Predictions master? (Well, that is what I predict) - will he predict who will win???

Jason Scott - Another Playboy illumnus... but with martial arts training! I wonder if that will be a presentation angle... kudos on Childrens Hospital activities... that makes me root for him too...!

Ehud Segev - Hmmm... a lot has been posted by others - but I say - if he can be an entertaining mentalist with a special "must win this time at all costs!" it will be very interesting!!!

-------- in short, whoever wins, it will be good.--------------
-------- also, glad everyone will get TV exposure--------------

I am now very excited to watch!!!!

Disclaimer: for those who didn't get in but applied - my comments are just stating that the lineup here is quite cool - not that any one is superior to any one else... but that it is nice how the 10 are pretty different in their idioms...

Tim Vincent????? Egad.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
This article also has the list plus some YouTube footage for all the contestants - for those looking for taste of what is to come.

http://itricks.com/news/?p=2255

Derek Merdinyan
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Bob Baker & DerekMerdinyan, Thank you for the links.
So, as I mentioned, some Israelis are on the show. I was sure that Yigal Mesika will be in as well. I was right about three.
Well, it's better to not be fully right while giving predictions, correct?
:)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17655 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Only two are listed as Israeli. Is the third one Raven?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Yes, Eran Raven (Fingelbaum)

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 8:12am
He moved to the US many years ago. He is a cool person. I am sure he will rock!
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Go get'em Jim! I didn't know you were from Pitt. Steelers fan?
I will go out on a limb and start to give my predictions for winners.
Finishing in order from first to last:

1.Jim Callahan
2.Jan Bardi
3.Wayne Hoffman
4.Angela Funovitz
5.Jason Scott
6.Ehud Segev
7.Gerry McCambridge
8.Eran Raven
9.Guy Bavli
10.Jim Karol

that's my list.

Chad
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I'm still not sure how magician and model Angela Funovitz fits into this show. She performs Jeff McBride type magic.

I'll soon find out.

No way Jim Karol will leave before Gerry.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 09:11, ALEXANDRE wrote:

No way Guy will last that long either.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Alexandre, think like a TV producer (or pretend Smile) and you'll know she is a really good choice for the TV viewing audience... plus the fact she is more magician makes her different from the rest... i.e. she will also be able to be seen as a sell proclaimed non-psychic performer who may be able to duplicate feats of psychic phenomena without having to give the method...!

Oh, I still think she will be in the final three if not the final two.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 09:11, ALEXANDRE wrote:
I'm still not sure how magician and model Angela Funovitz fits into this show. She performs Jeff McBride type magic.

I'll soon find out.

My daughter loves Jim Karol! My little girl who grew up around magic, mentalism, psychic phenomena, and has seen it all and bored by it all She saw the Psychic Madman at college and loved the experience. Jim has that affect on people.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I see what you're saying and I agree, but no way she'll go that far. As an example, I know she won't be able to duplicate what Callahan will be doing.

Girls like my daughter would vote for her, the problem is my daughter (and her friends) could care less about phenomenon. So far I have not seen NBC do anything to attract that crowd.

What I think you'll have is a bunch of boys voting for who they'd one day like to be, and grownups who will find Jim Callahan a friendly, yet, eerie guy who they just can't quite decide whether he's the devil or not.

I predict Jim C. will put the fear of God into Matt Lauer's eyes by the end of this year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..22..28..34..40..46..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL