The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..35..38..41..44..47~48~49 [Next]
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Careful bugjack, If you try to use the presentation of "real powers" in your presentation you will get "debunked" or atleast slammed here for it.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
My 11 year old picked up from Uri's ESP routine from the start. If you recorded it, watch it again when he puts the card inside the envelope. Power of suggestion, gotta love it;)

All in all most of these performances the performer took a chance of something messing up and I like that. I feel Criss (no matter what you think of him) was pretty candid an right on with his critques.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
13 STEPS TO BOREDOM

1) "I am THE mentalist - all others are just mentalists" - let me perform an effect that has no context, meaning or point

2) I am Rachel Hunter, why am I here - I am bored. Let me out of here.

3) I am scared little guy - I am being bullied and treated horribly and having my hand shoved into a bear trap... what seemed funny looked mean spirited and poorly controlled... he should have managed me better... like those others...

4) I am Uri - everything is interesting... very interesting... except the Mentalist.

5) I am Criss - in case you didn't know, I've done more magic than anyone before on TV - I need to be amazed or I will be bored - and I will tell you how I am better than you... like even the most excellent Nail Roulette... bah, I did it with a gun... but well..it had some drama... as for the rest of you... boring... by the way... you can find PK Touches, Gimmicked Traps, and book tests at X-488-7788-X.... by the way, did you know that I forgot more magic than anyone knows on this show?

6) Showing the other contestants without explanation of who they are

7) The worlds worst psychological force 28% vs 27% star... c'mon... but the darn thing in POSITION 4 Uri... what the heck... there were about 18 more ways to boost the numbers...

8) Ehud had a good presentation... even a consistant theme... of course he was to be murdered on stage by Criss... plus the sexual inneundo just BOMBED... ouch.

9) Criss looks bored as Rachel Hunter

10) Desperate attempts to boost the shows rating by zooming in on Angela F. - but without explanation... and boy does it look bad that there is only one female in the bunch...

11) Why can't the contestants say to Criss and Uri F*ck you bozos... I'm good!

12) Don't attempt this at home - you might fall asleep for 10000 years

13) JJ and Angela - I'm counting on you two..... I was really hoping they would have done the bios... some drama... etc....

My goodness - this show really was BAD. I mean BAD. The Halloween special better go wild....

It did inspire me to go do more professional performances, however. Not to try to compete as I would never want to have Criss rip me to shreds on TV if he didn't like the cut of my jib... but heck, I think I'll make a TV project... but have a point to the show.

What do I know? Trust me, I know just enough...

JJ - I hope your ghosts watch your back...!!!!

I still am betting AF will be in the final 2.

I am really sad the show went like this...

But I am happy that THE mentalist (as opposed to the other mentalists) was tripped up by his own arrogance.... what happened to audience connection, humility and sharing wonder? Boo.

Pleasant nightmares,

Dr. Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I am hoping this show will boast the mentalism business if nothing else.
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of WhateverUnique
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 21:53, ALEXANDRE wrote:
I was with friends tonight. We gathered for some Chinese food and to watch the show.

They were bored. Cracking jokes throughout the show.

They all left completely uninterested in watching on Halloween.

I'll have to twist some arms....

And do you know why they were bored...because they have limited everyones performace to 3 minutes....3 minutes....why because they have to give Uri and criss time to runn thier gums. It would be a far better show if they didn't have either of them. The performances could be long and more drama could be created. 3 minutes is a nightmare amount of time to try and stuff a mentalism/pshycic/paranormal performance.

In 1 hour you saw 4 guys. Not much for 1 hour of TV. and next week you only get 6 for 2 hours....that's only 3 guys per hour with still only 3 minute performances....
lets see 3 minutes X 6 guys = 18 minutes....18 minutes out of a 2 hour show is devoted to guys on stage? ok I know you only get like 45 mintues in an hour with commercials....but that leaves 90 minutes...minus the 18 and we will have 72 minutes of....what next week?
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
Gawd awfully boring!!! (despite some talented performers) A major disappointment...the ratings will be dreadful.

The PRODUCERS should be shot with a nail gun!

My best to all,

James

P.S. The Israeli original, "The Successor" was far superior, and I don't even speak Hebrew!
James Biss
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heheh...good one James! This forum is 1000% more entertaining than the actual show...
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
That's why I put "knows" in quotations, although maybe I wasn't being clear enough. I'm not suggesting that mentalists pretend to be John Edwards-style psychics, just that mentalism creates a theatrical moment that produces a suspension of disbelief and in that moment is the spectator's enjoyment. It's akin to watching an action film -- do you think about the actor being dangled by wires in front of a green screen or just go with the montage of the filmmaking and the story? So, what felt weird for me was the creation of those moments and then the critiques following so immediately afterwards -- the critiques when they were negative kind of denied whatever entertainment or wonder we might have just received. (And, when they were positive, they seemed fawning and uncritical -- it's a no-win situation.)

<bloackquote>By criss even mentioning those words it give people the ability to disprove what the show is suppose to be about. If everyone at home just Chalks it up to another magic show....it will fall flat like all the rest. Everyone wants to belive....and NBC found a great way to make people wonder...the problem is they also have given them the silver bullet by allowing criss to lisp off at the mouth.</blockquote>

I'm not disagreeing with you on the larger point. I actually kind of go with what you said. I'm just disagreeing that the word "Banacek" had anything to do it. I think it has more to do the structure of the show as I mention above.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Keep hoping. Tonight Mentalism looked amateurish and boring.

- entity
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
3-5 Minutes:

A) Mind control someone up stage, choose the objects etc. you want them to... then have them go into a pseudotrance and be able to read the minds of others in the audience

B) Stigmata style effects in a bizarre context

C) Communicate mentally with a dog who can do psychic effects of the PK Lick

At least, I'm been able to do all the above - anyone on the show reading this, feel free to do it as well...

The key is originality... its boring because a lot of what was on has been seen before... however, I think a lot of entertainers with original material didn't go on... (except JJ which I think will be the most unique - but waiting to see the other contestants)...

Plus, don't bully anyone... it just looks BAD.
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
127 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
It needs Criss to watch the playback and critic his own performance. He definitely doesn't fit well.

As for the show, I hope it picks up the pace. I'll watch the Halloween show, but it's hard to imagine regular folks getting into this unless it gets more interesting.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
The first problem is that they have Criss a known magician, critiquing (sp?) other performers who supposedly are psychic. Remember in an audiences mind, a magician and mentalist are 2 different things. Magicians do tricks, and mentalists do something else!
When Criss opens his mouth, (and his very presence) suggests that everything is a trick. And noone wants to go to a show with 10 magicians. What you get is a yawner. Kinda like what I saw tonight.
I was very disapointed in what I saw production wise. I do think Ehud was very good, probably the best of the 4. The guy with the nail guns was too...into the camera, and hammy. It was incensere drama. At least that's what I felt. Gellers bit was ok though. He does have some connection beyond the tv screen that the contestants didn't.
I do hope that the other performers can overcome some of these things. I think that Jim and Angela will do very well. As they will be people that the audience can relate and connect with.

Chad
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 22:17, bugjack wrote:
That's why I put "knows" in quotations, although maybe I wasn't being clear enough. I'm not suggesting that mentalists pretend to be John Edwards-style psychics, just that mentalism creates a theatrical moment that produces a suspension of disbelief and in that moment is the spectator's enjoyment. It's akin to watching an action film -- do you think about the actor being dangled by wires in front of a green screen or just go with the montage of the filmmaking and the story? So, what felt weird for me was the creation of those moments and then the critiques following so immediately afterwards -- the critiques when they were negative kind of denied whatever entertainment or wonder we might have just received. (And, when they were positive, they seemed fawning and uncritical -- it's a no-win situation.)

<bloackquote>By criss even mentioning those words it give people the ability to disprove what the show is suppose to be about. If everyone at home just Chalks it up to another magic show....it will fall flat like all the rest. Everyone wants to belive....and NBC found a great way to make people wonder...the problem is they also have given them the silver bullet by allowing criss to lisp off at the mouth.</blockquote>

I'm not disagreeing with you on the larger point. I actually kind of go with what you said. I'm just disagreeing that the word "Banacek" had anything to do it. I think it has more to do the structure of the show as I mention above.

Yes bugjack, you and I are on the same path here. NBC tells me to believe and then has these two taking all the zing...zest and zow right out the show.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I am curious why the audience is so quiet. Granted its mentalism but one would think there would be at least a more polite applause for Eran at least.

Perhaps its just the sound accoustics in the auditorium.

I think just the atmosphere and huge stage set is enough against one already. I think Jim is use to this type of auditorium which will really help his performance.
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 22:22, Chad Sanborn wrote:
The first problem is that they have Criss a known magician, critiquing (sp?) other performers who supposedly are psychic. Remember in an audiences mind, a magician and mentalist are 2 different things. Magicians do tricks, and mentalists do something else!
When Criss opens his mouth, (and his very presence) suggests that everything is a trick. And noone wants to go to a show with 10 magicians. What you get is a yawner. Kinda like what I saw tonight.
I was very disapointed in what I saw production wise. I do think Ehud was very good, probably the best of the 4. The guy with the nail guns was too...into the camera, and hammy. It was incensere drama. At least that's what I felt. Gellers bit was ok though. He does have some connection beyond the tv screen that the contestants didn't.
I do hope that the other performers can overcome some of these things. I think that Jim and Angela will do very well. As they will be people that the audience can relate and connect with.

Chad

Yeah I thought the same...Ehud was good....until criss knocked him off the block by mentioning PK and Banchekckekcekc. He structured the limited amount of time very well and keep things moving. And the Nail gun thing did have the most suspense....but that 3 minute window is like a ticking time-bomb taking all the crescendo of a performance right out.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The audience was not paid enough to cheer too loudly. With only a small amount of time it is difficult to get the viewers "On Your Side".... Little or no time was spent wooing the people who actually MAKE the noise.
And that's another problem...I would have had a mic right on Jim Karols hand...You would have thought that he broke every bone in there! That's the way to play it! But NOOOOOO Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I found Angel a poor Simon, but Uri makes a good Paula.

Raven almost put me to sleep. I am bored every time I see a performer act like an Edwardian stage performer. I cannot understand why mystery entertainers feel the need to be stiff and over enunciate words on stage. I've found you make a better connection with the audience when you speak to them, not at them.

Angel of course missed the whole performance point of Ehud’s piece. (At least Uri got it.) Then opening his mouth, belittling the guy and attempting to puff himself up, pure crass, insecure idiocy. True colors were revealed. Then Angel missed the entire concept of Jim’s act.

Sad!
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I don't imagine there is one performer who turned the show down who now regrets the decision. The format simply can't work for mentalism. There's no time to build audience rapport, no time to create a real character that doesn't appear over the top.

Having Angel there is an abomination. So smug. So know-it-all ("I recognized PK Touches. Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nuh!"). So condescending. ("I performed the ultimate Russian roulette with a real gun." At least 3 of the performers are, I think, much better than he is. Who is he to judge??

This show itself is incredibly unoriginal with the mini-biographies, the performers with their "game faces" on, the judging the the performers by people in no position to judge.

All you guys hoping to be on next season...don't hold your breaths.

Bob
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
127 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
NBC are you listening!?

KRESKIN vs URI

Hit show.
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Hey Slim,
your right they should have put that shotgun mic closer to Jim K's hand.....and a little farther away from that 5th nail gun....good grief...I heard that from 3000 miles away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..35..38..41..44..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL