The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..31~32~33~34~35..47~48~49 [Next]
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
I have worked with CA in the past but that came to an end at the finish of the 2nd season of Mind Freak. I have no link to CA at all anymore personal or professional. Nor to this NBC show.

L.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Luke,
The performers did a good job.
A little tale.

The VERY BEST mentalism effect I have ever seen was in Nov. 2006.
A spectator was asked to imagine a keyboard and touch two keys.
The mentalist mentally "forced" him to touch the keys that he had previously selected.
Had I not seen the personality of the performer, it would not have been so great.
That is what we are dealing with here, plus the attitude and snarkiness of Angel.

Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Parson - I am amazed that you would have remembered that idea. In truth I have not performed that "bit" for a long time and had forgotten about the "computer keys" thing. I might have to dig that back out.

I am not attacking the performers on this show at all. Hell most of them are friends - I do however question their judgement about appearing on the show. The sad truth as I see it is that most of the performers are BETTER than the show. However they are robbed the chance to show how good they are because the show format is not GOOD ENOUGH for them. I hope that makes sense.

CA will I am sure do better in the future. Whatever we think about him as a magician he does try to do the best he can for magic. Sometimes we disagree on what that might be however he does love magic as much as us. Even if at times it is hard to see. I will stop any comments about CA on the show as it is not useful however I have faith that he will step up to the plate with a higher level of understanding in connection with his role on the show. At least I hope he will.

I really do wish the performers the very best of luck (and in fact have been helping one or two in small ways when I can) as I want all of them to be GREAT. I want every single performer on this show to be the star. I want every single performer to do great material that peaks the publics interest into mentalism. I just fear that despite their best effort and hopes the show may not allow them to shine as brightly as we all know they could.

L.
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 00:25, Ramsay wrote:

One thing I did find interesting was seeing Gellers final prediction - using a well known recently marketed magic prop. I wonder if Geller is not "tipping his hat" to the magicians in the hope that we might adopt him as "one of us" thus helping prevent potential issues he faced with the original show here in the USA.

I think he fooled you Luke.

Were you looking directly into his eyes? If so, what exactly did you see?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I read Luke Jermay's longer post above..read it again..and again.Mr. Jermay,I agree with at least 99% of what you wrote.Well stated!

I commend all the performers participating,and wish them all the best.I do have a favorite...but I will not say because I am actually turned off by the competitive [IDOL] nature of the whole thing.

Rich
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 00:34, Ramsay wrote:
I have worked with CA in the past but that came to an end at the finish of the 2nd season of Mind Freak. I have no link to CA at all anymore personal or professional. Nor to this NBC show.

L.

Thank you for addressing that and not ignoring it. I will not ask why as that is your business and not mine.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
As has been suggested in this thread, the show clearly has fatal design flaws.

This may be a stretch, but I couldn't help but think a better show might be an American Idol 'model' judging panel critiquing a group of religious clerics on their style, presentation, and source material.

In my mind, this show's format was that much of a mess - specifically the completely narcissistic, irrelevant (out of context for the actual audience), and worthless critiques.

Allow me to make a bold prediction, without the use of a nail writer, envelope switch, or any other marketed gimmick.....here we go......Phenomenon's ratings will begin badly (dead last for the time slot) and only get worse as the series moves forward.

Absolutely no disrespect intended towards the 10 performers on the show, but Phenomenon is posed to become a cautionary tale used to scare TV executives' children at bedtime, for years to come.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Magic Spank -

I did indeed slip into a trance like state much like falling asleep with my eyes becoming heavier and heavier every time Uri graced the screen. Whether this was by design or by chance I am unsure nonetheless I did indeed stare into his eyes.

I am amazed by the choice of prop especially considering how many other more natural options were available. It seems that his choice to use a prop so linked to magic and magicians methods would have to be a choice. Hence my wondering if he was doing so to send a message out to the magicians watching.

I wonder what we might see next from Uri? Mental Epic?

PaleoMagi - Thanks its just what I felt from the bottom of my heart at the end of the show. I am pleased it connected with you.

Magikrn - No problem.

L.
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
He didn't use the prop you're suspecting.

I'll email you.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Ratings were horrible from what Im being told out of the studios. don't see this lasting much longer.

How in the heck does Criss Angel sit there and critique people when that idiot cant perform a thing without camera tricks. Sick Sick Sick... I had a hard time watching the show seeing that fool act as if he had credibility to speak!

Id give everything I own for the opportunity to have Criss, on television, critique me. I would say to him what every magician in the world has been dying to say..... "You, Criss Angel, critiquing me is like Michael Vick critiquing a premiere dog show! Come back and try again when you can perform sponge balls without the aid of stooges and camera effects!"
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
The Show was nothing Phenomenal but most TV isn’t for me. It was nice to see some performances from people who share the same craft. There was nothing mind blowing but perhaps to a layman, who knows? I agree with the whole time cap thing, a Mentalist has to establish himself.

As far as the performances I have to say I liked the Israel dude. That was a nice Routine. He’s caused me to look further into my routine.

I thought Raven’s roulette routine was the most exciting though. It put more people on the edge of their seat.

I got a laugh out of Gerry separating himself and then getting knocked by both Angel and Geller.

I look forward to seeing Jim and the others next week, good luck to you…
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Criss Angel has never impressed me to start with. Although he can be entertaining, sometimes (not much), he is more nothing, than something. To me, he's a fraud and a hack and can't do anything without camera tricks to help him out.

But, on the other hand, he does (somehow) have his own television show. He's got to know someone.

Just my opinion. Mark.
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
He also has a very good stage show that he got his fame from. I believe that is why they want him critiquing these acts. He knows how to put on a good performance, and he is critiquing performances.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 00:25, Ramsay wrote:
It strikes me that with mentalism more than anything else the performance is a personality driven art. If we look in the past it was never the "tricks" that created well known performers but always the power of their personality.

This show format robs the performers the chance to establish themselves as personalities. Without the personality of the performer driving the performance we are seeing nothing more than mentalism being "demonstrated" and not being "presented" there is a big difference. We may as well be putting dealer video demonstrations up there.
The judges are the personality driven aspect of the show - not the performers. This to me creates an impossible loop where the performers will constantly be relegated to second spot>
The best thing we can all do is to continue to support one another's artistic performance and exploration in the hope that together we can help one another present mentalism that is AS GOOD AS IT CAN BE. The more mentalists that are performing GREAT MENTALISM the better it is for all of us. Equally the more of us that are out there do what we do as well as we can do it - the fewer people will begin to dislike "mentalists" because of this show.
I hope as a community of mentalists we can all whether our way thru the storm and ensure that mentalism as an art form comes out on top.

Luke Jermay.

I thought the salient points of your post should be repeated - and as someone who chose to audition, realizing the limitations placed on my performance by the format of "three effects in 9-15 minutes" - I found myself in the exact bind you have expressed.

One good thing that came of it for me was the focus it forced on me. I found myself having to streamline the effects to give myself more time for showmanship. I am curious to see how the remaining contestants will handle this bind.

All the Best,
Arnon
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
But the entire concept of having these performers critiqued is paradoxical to the show's theme!

Further, being successful at a performance art does not automatically ensure you have the skills to be a useful critic of another's work. Angel's comment about being a harsher judge of himself than he would be of any other performer is pure rubbish. His arrogance, dipping into narcissism, is only scarce inches away from Donald Trump - who possesses that scariest of minsets that being highly successful at one thing, gives you license to offer opinions on things about which you know nothing of substance.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
If mentalism is about believability, Ehud gets this one, in my book.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
If nothing else, I'm hoping that this will bring more attention to mentalism in general and since I am the ONLY mentalist in my area in the phone book, that I will get some bookings from it... hehe. =)
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
OK, Question, HAS ANYONE HAD A LAYMEN FRIEND COMMENT ON THE SHOW????

I think that's what we really need to here, Although I agree with most that the performers were good, the show format may not work out in the end.

thanks

Adam
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Watched the show and I will watch again. My only problem was that magicians should not critique other magicians. The Judges should be layman then the show would be fun to watch. I have never liked Chris Angels personality. This show will be a nice ego trip for him. I will watch just to see the acts as performances and I won't be interested in the competition aspect of the show. Chris is putting down performances that would thrill a lay audience. He is hurting the art more then helping. Chris sat there like "Good luck fooling me. I am the great Chris Angel I know everything there is to know about magic."

Uri on the other hand was a class act. Uri has been raked over the coals in the past but never let it bother him. You can definitely see that he is a seasoned performer and knows what lay audiences want.

Chris may have "Jumped the shark" with this show.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Kammagic,

I agree with you that Uri comported himself very well for the premier. In addition, rather than avoiding the Carson videotape, he intentionally had a short clip of it played with neutralizing commentary and effect. He has used Phenomenon to his benefit, thus far.

Arnon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..31~32~33~34~35..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL