The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..39~40~41~42~43..47~48~49 [Next]
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 22:52, Parson Smith wrote:
I felt a shot across my bow.

Who's shooting?

By the way, I liked your earlier post a lot...

-Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
We all can see how mentalism is playing to the TV viewers!

We all can see how a three minute routine with heavy constraints plays to the TV viewers. In the context of a longer show there are many more variables.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 22:53, HeyLockwood wrote:
I dunno - I'm a big fan of Osterlind, but the format of the show might have been more than he'd want to tackle. And I just can't stand the thought of him having to listen to CA's opinion...

-Mike

Hey, he may have been asked and turned it down, who knows. If the time limit was increased, a telepathy routine like Kreskin does involving several audience members I think would work nicely. One of his releases I have done and worked well with involving the audience seated then standing at their seats works well. But then again, this all about the producers and CA which seems to be forefront. CA is a big draw and NBC will be counting on him and next week to pull it through.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Mike,
Not you.
I felt that it was being said that that I thought that everyone was great.
It may not be that way.
May have just been the order of the post.

But to set the record straight...
I think that some performers stink.
But I do not remember seeing some of the harshest critics here perform.
Perhaps they were very forgettable, but if I have seen them, they were not as memorable as any of last night's four performers.
What I am saying is the loudest critics have not impressed me all that much.

Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
221 Posts

Profile of baggins321
I enjoyed the show for the most part, because I didn't have any expectations for it. Unfortunately none of the routines I saw were original, but variations of classic effects. My favorite two were the pk touch routine and the bullet catch variation with nail guns. I thought Criss was a good critical judge (kind of like simon cowell from american idol), while Uri was mostly positive about everyone's performance (like Paula from american idol). I liked how Criss talked about Banachek and gave him credit for the pk touch routine etc. I didn't like how he was a bit egotistical like mentioning how he did bullet catch with a real gun etc. I look forward to next week's show!
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 22:59, Candini wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 22:53, HeyLockwood wrote:
I dunno - I'm a big fan of Osterlind, but the format of the show might have been more than he'd want to tackle. And I just can't stand the thought of him having to listen to CA's opinion...

-Mike

Hey, he may have been asked and turned it down, who knows. If the time limit was increased, a telepathy routine like Kreskin does involving several audience members I think would work nicely. One of his releases I have done and worked well with involving the audience seated then standing at their seats works well. But then again, this all about the producers and CA which seems to be forefront. CA is a big draw and NBC will be counting on him and next week to pull it through.

I'm with you - but, like you said, it would probably need a time extension. I would love nothing more than for Osterlind to go out there and blow people away. But, the way the show is structured, I can't imagine he would touch it.

I think the producers know what they want, but not how to get it.

-Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1934 Posts

Profile of ted french
Does anyone else think the lifetime version was more entertaining. I hate to say it but the psychics who are not magicians always seem more convincing.
P3
practice practice perform.
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Parson, I didn't see it (the shot across your bow), but either way I'm glad it wasn't me. Smile

-Mike
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Me too
+++a posse ad esse+++
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 23:01, Parson Smith wrote:
Mike,
Not you.
I felt that it was being said that that I thought that everyone was great.
It may not be that way.
May have just been the order of the post.

But to set the record straight...
I think that some performers stink.
But I do not remember seeing some of the harshest critics here perform.
Perhaps they were very forgettable, but if I have seen them, they were not as memorable as any of last night's four performers.
What I am saying is the loudest critics have not impressed me all that much.

Parson

PLEASE get this sir. I was NOT FIRING AT YOU. No way no how.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1404 Posts

Profile of Jared
Hasn't anybody watched Osterlind's No Camera Tricks DVD set? He's a seasoned pro that teaches how to do mentalism on television. Watch and learn from the master himself. I just don't buy this bit about mentalism not working on television. The format is a big problem with the Phenomenon, but the performers could have elevated their game as well.

-Jared
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Thanks!
+++a posse ad esse+++
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I love Richard's work.
And he is, in my eyes, a wonderful person.
I don't know how he would have done in this setting, but for professional reasons, I can see why he would not do it.
He has a huge business marketing to magicians. Something like this going wrong could damage his business.

Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Parson:

I agree with you about Richard Osterlind.

And I also think Gerry McCambridge made a bad career move to opt for being on the show. He had way too much to lose, unlike the other 9.

Arnon
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Arnon,
You may be right.

BTW, No shot fired.
None taken.

Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2530 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 23:22, Parson Smith wrote:
I don't know how he would have done in this setting, but for professional reasons, I can see why he would not do it.
He has a huge business marketing to magicians. Something like this going wrong could damage his business.

Parson

Richard plays to a real world. He would have been great. Thing is, he has nothing to prove.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I don't know, Steven.
In Richard's world, he calls the shots.
I think that the producers are calling the shots here.
I wish Richard would show up and tell us himself.
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've always loved seeing kreskin on TV. Mentalism is entertianing. "Phenomenon" is not showing it in the format that brings that out.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Richard Osterlind hasn't posted here for the last 30 days. His last post was on September 23, 2007.

I too would love to hear his "take" on this show.

Arnon
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
He's posted his opinion on another forum.

Kreskin would've been a good judge.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..39~40~41~42~43..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL