The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..41~42~43~44~45..47~48~49 [Next]
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
In an interview with Segev he says that the show replaced one of the mentalists a few days ago. It it true or some misunderstanding?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
But, of course...He will Smile Reffering to Jim.......Because they are.

Yes, there was a change in the lineup.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Man slim, when do you sleep?
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 04:05, Slim King wrote:

Yes, there was a change in the lineup.

Quote:
On 2007-10-26 04:07, David Meade wrote:
Man slim, when do you sleep?

Maybe he's practicing his routine.. Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's my aniversary....I'll be up all night...Just taking a breather Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
From what I have heard and only heard from Jack's advert of his shows, he does claim real powers.

I wonder if CA will make a comment once again about it all being illusions of the real thing.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I am a member of other forums and I've read many performers comment so proudly and so in your face that they were "asked" to be on the show and "declined" and they "knew" it was going to be horrible, and they're so glad they "said no" and it had to be this way and it can't work and....

Mentalism on TV CAN work, it CAN be done, even as a competition!

At NBC, changes are being made, meetings, discussions ... as a viewer, don't give up on this yet.

And for the "many" who were ready to go and "begged" to be on and "flat turned it down" ... don't be so proud of yourselves just yet.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 03:43, arnon wrote:
I hope he succeeds in doing so, as long as he doesn't seriously claim that the effects are accomplished by supernatural forces.

Arnon

Arnon, let me post this question to you because I know you will give me a qualified answer:

As an entertainer, on stage or in character couldn't you really claim anything?

I wonder if my performing character was an alien, if people would be so uptight about debunking me. Would Randi?

Many people believe in aliens and if I went on TV for a show or interviews and said I was born in Jupiter and brought to earth when I was just a little boy, etc, and then demonstrated what I was able to do with my mind, why is that not acceptable? No disclaimers.

You see certain comedians who every time they show up in public are "in character". Why does this have to be different for Mentalists or Paranormalists? So it's ok for people to think you're crazy and irresponsible and even a danger but not someone with powers? Why?

When Pee Wee Herman was big, how many of us saw him out of character? How about Kreskin?

Just asking because I can't keep my secret any longer, I came from a distant planet many of you have not heard of before and I do have powers, many powers, powers most of you wouldn't even understand.
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
The Secret Theater
421 Posts

Profile of Tone
I always felt that you were an alien...it all comes together!
╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Lots of Aliens in South Florida, I hear.

- entity
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9825 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
John Archer - it was great having you at Mindvention this year. I think the humor and presentation you bring to mentalism shows that mentalism can be entertaining and fun. If nothing else I hope your ideas have made some people think and realize this point.

One of the things I enjoy about Richard Osterlinds work is his ability to incorporate his sense of humor and character into each effect he presents. This is part of entertaining.

This is a lesson I have learned in my over 30 years of being a full-time entertainer that I think gets lost on many. I understand the background and presentation of mentalism is to a bit mystifying and amazing but it must be entertaining to the audience or the performer is simply just performing for and impressing themselves. I don't care what type of entertainer you are if it plays too seriously it can easily be received as uninteresting, boring or lacking and not very entertaining. What John Archer, The Amazing Jonathan and others bring to their craft is the combimation of their skill with true entertainment value.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 23:54, arnon wrote:
Richard Osterlind hasn't posted here for the last 30 days. His last post was on September 23, 2007.

I too would love to hear his "take" on this show.

Arnon

I, like many other pros in the field, was called repeatedly to participate in the show and I, like most of the rest, declined for a variety of reasons.

The only way I would be involved in such a show would be as follows: (and call this a challenge if you want)

The stage setting would be exactly as it is for Phenomenon. The audience would be made up of random people who have had no contact with any of the contestants. (Celebrities would be welcomed) A panel of 3 judges from different areas of show business and who have no personal interest in any of the contestants would oversee the proceedings. Criss Angel, Uri Geller and I would each come out and perform for 20 to 30 minutes. The show would be live and the rules would state there be absolutely no pre-show work, no camera editing and no stooges or backstage assistants. Then, with the help of the judge’s comments, the home audience would vote on who they liked the most.

Is that fair?

Richard
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Geller and Angel would never agree. They have nothing to gain by becoming contestants instead of judges.

But it would be a better all-around presentation of Mentalism than what we're seeing on Phenomenon thus far, no doubt.

- entity
JPK
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of JPK
Good morning Mr.Osterlind.
Your idea for the show sound like it would be fun to watch. I wonder if Uri or Chris would agree to such a event?
I watched the show and came away with the feeling that I would like to see these performers doing their acts live the way they normaly work. I felt they were serverly hampered by the constrains of the shows format. Hopefully others felt the same way and that would be good the performers at least.
The show itself seemed confused. What was the purpose?
On one hand it seemed like they were trying to debunk claims of the paranormal, with Chris being the guy just waiting for someone to claim to have such powers so he could point out the name of the published trick, while claiming he does it better. Of course, not one of the acts made such a claim. I guess Chris didn't notice that, and just decided to let them know that that he's better.
On the other hand, it seemed like a Mentalist competition. But the setting was all wrong. It was like watching a tennis match underwater. Actually, it was more like watching a chess match that had to be wrapped up in 3 minutes.
The choice of judges as just wrong. Let these people interact with an audience of laymen and let them judge the performances. This isn't suposed to be Star Search is it? These performers are already professionals. If they are looking for tips from other pros they certainly do not need to get them in front of a laymen audience do they? I guess NBC felt they needed to have celebrity judges and people for the mentalists to interact with to draw an audience. I guess they didn't have enough confidence in the actual performers to draw and hold and audiences attention. I feel they are wrong.
I knew something was fundalmentaly wrong with the show when I came away with the feeling that Uri was coming off very good. Other then his interactive ESP effect, that he almost blew. I wonder if he realized while projecting his thought he pointed to the circle? Could be why that scored as high as it did in the center position.
Oh well. I will watch it again with little hope that they can correct the annoying parts of the show. I will focus on the performers and hopefully get to see them do their shows live somewhere in the right setting.
JPK
John Kardel
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20184 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-10-26 10:12, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Quote:
Richard Osterlind hasn't posted here for the last 30 days. His last post was on September 23, 2007.

Arnon

I, like many other pros in the field, was called repeatedly to participate in the show and I, like most of the rest, declined for a variety of reasons.

The only way I would be involved in such a show would be as follows: (and call this a challenge if you want)

The stage setting would be exactly as it is for Phenomenon. The audience would be made up of random people who have had no contact with any of the contestants. (Celebrities would be welcomed) A panel of 3 judges from different areas of show business and who have no personal interest in any of the contestants would oversee the proceedings. Criss Angel, Uri Geller and I would each come out and perform for 20 to 30 minutes. The show would be live and the rules would state there be absolutely no pre-show work, no camera editing and no stooges or backstage assistants. Then, with the help of the judge’s comments, the home audience would vote on who they liked the most.

Is that fair?

Richard

Your question was, "Is that fair?".

The answer is absolutly not.

You are a far better entertainer than either one of them or both combined for that matter.

IF you let them combine their scores you are now getting to "fair". LOL. From a bookie standpoint that is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ralphwaldoemerson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of ralphwaldoemerson
[quote]On 2007-10-26 10:12, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Quote:

Richard

I know this is nit-picky, but I think it would be better to substitute the work "participate" with the words "submit for audition." Nearly every working pro in the hemisphere was repeatedly called, sometimes begged and brow-beaten to submit. But the truth is, none of us, regardless of industry stature, experience, or performance skills, has any idea of whether we would have made the cut. Television producers have a huge range of variables in mind when selecting contestants for something like this, I am sure. They're looking for a certain mix of personalities, certain types of performance styles, certain looks, who knows.

I agree with Ricard's conditions. They would have made for a better show. I also think it would have been a better show had it been more a "Last Magician Standing," as one industry review called it, than a show specifically geared toward mentalism.

In spite of the debacle that the first episode turned out to be, I applaud all ten participants for the risks they have taken and the moxie they have shown.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20184 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You have no idea the nature of the phone calls so it is not only nit pickey it is flat out uninformend.

How do you know for a fact he wasn't asked to "participate"?

I know of several who were offered just that. To PARTICIPATE, not to submit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
Quote:

Arnon

Is that fair?

Richard

It would not be fair.

Richard,you have the big advantage of having an almost universally likeable performance style.No contest.

Rich
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Quote:
Quote:

Arnon

Is that fair?

Richard

Criss Angel doing 30 minutes live on stage without the aid of stooges, setup audience or camera edits....LOL.

.... and the little men in spandex come dancing out to save the day!

Richard, Id just assume watch a full one hour special of your material.. and feel free to give Angel a front row seat as he might learn a thing or two.

But seriously..Richard... ive always wanted to ask a person of your status this question, and I understand if you are two busy to answer. But how do feel watching a Criss Angel show, knowing that 75% of what he does involves setup audiences and camera edits, and then see a person like Banachek in the background helping him succeed in these plays. As a semi-pro, it ticks me off. But from someone of your credibility, I wonder how you feel about someone like Banachek doing what he is doing in that show. I would assume you pros would rather see someone with a true talent that was earned by practice and hard work like yourself rather than some guy who all in one year becomes huge without having much true talent... and if he does have any, is affraid to use it properly.

I compare Angel to Britney Spears often... neither really worked for what they earned... Angel lipsyncs magic.

On a final note.. thanks for the tons of material and dvds you have provided us. And thanks for taking the time to speak with us on these boards. Your post was the highlight of my week!
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of Hill
Quote:
Quote:

Arnon

Is that fair?

Richard

I have to say, I think these conditions are perfectly reasonable, and would make for a very entertaining programme.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..41~42~43~44~45..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL