The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..25..31..37..43..47~48~49 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The answer would be, if they bought say Osterlind's instruction DVD, where he teaches the watch routine, no permission would be needed to perform this. No rights were withheld or performance stipulations made, purchasing the DVD would give the performance rights to the purchaser. It can be argues that it may not be the most "creative" thing to do, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Let's try to keep specifics out of the thread, just in case...
We don't want to be an information source for those looking to replicate what they see on TV.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
It depends on the creator of said effects. Some creators add to their work that if it is to be used on TV that permission is needed, others publish without that. I don't really understand the mentality of publishing something for others to use and then setting restrictions upon that use. If you don't want it to be used, don't publish it.

/paul.f
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There were guys at the auditions seemingly competing againts their own ideas.( Stebler for one) My first audition effect was The Blessing. I had sold a couple of copies prior to the auditions (I quit as soon as I found out that I was in) so the potential was there that I would be performing my routine AFTER someone else had....I've learned a great lesson about selling secrets Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 15:37, burst wrote:
I don't really understand the mentality of publishing something for others to use and then setting restrictions upon that use. If you don't want it to be used, don't publish it.

/paul.f

I understand your thoughts here and in some ways I feel the same way. Except when you consider the fact that performing one of someones original effects on nation television greatly reduces it value as an original effect for that performer. In some ways its kind of like a stand up comedian with an HBO special. After that, he can never use those jokes again.

However, if the said performer allowed others to perform it every else but on television, he can continue using it as an original effect from here to eternity without his clients walking up and saying "oh yeah, that's cool I've seen that before. that's the same thing that girl did on that show with uri gellar".
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
On the other hand Criss Angel sold a WHOLE BUNCH of effects AFTER he performed them on national TV. So thearetically you could make a lot more money WITH the exposure....Maybe?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
True. That is a valid point and something that definitely illustrates one key difference between a magician and a comedian. I guess ultimately there are a few positives and negatives on both sides.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If you're a talented performer, you can use someone else's effect, and infuse so much of your own style and personality into it, that it becomes unrecognizable from the original inspiration.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 19:26, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
If you're a talented performer, you can use someone else's effect, and infuse so much of your own style and personality into it, that it becomes unrecognizable from the original inspiration.

As you did with the MPD in your unique rendition called "The Immortal" on Youtube.

Arnon
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
So many pages, so much pointless vitriol...
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I hope they use mah na mah na (muppet version) as the theme tune....

'phenomenon doo doo de doo doo'

Corona
Papa David
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Papa David
Did not Limp Bizkit already do a theme song for this?

chorus:
... .don't think you know
What the hell I'm all about
(phenomenon, something like a phenomenon)
... .don't think you got
My **** all figured out
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Lacks the gravitas of the muppets...
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Actually, the Goblins did a great soundtrack for a Dario Argento work called Phenomena....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Corona: 5 points for using the word Gravitas on this forum!

- entity
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Additional 3 points for using the word Gravitas in a sentence with the term muppets.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I'd like to award half my points to Dr. S for teaching us the plural of phenomenons.
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
"Goblin", who did the soundtrack, is actually singular rather than "The Goblins".

Plural points all around for eerie Italian prog rock!

And "Gravitas" is the plural of "Gravity"? Smile
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 19:55, Papa David wrote:
Did not Limp Bizkit already do a theme song for this?

chorus:
... .don't think you know
What the hell I'm all about
... .don't think you got
My **** all figured out

"Something like a phenomenon" is a classic old-school hip hop lyric. I believe it was originally put onto wax with Grandmaster Flashes record 'White Lines', was actually spit by Grandmaster Melle Mel and the Furious Five, and sampled from the band Liquid Liquid. A lot of hip hop heads have used it like LL Cool J, but other bands, even the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, have used it.

Limp Bizkit has never been original.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm... the band is Goblin... but aren't the band members Goblins?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 00:26, Dr Spektor wrote:
Hmmm... the band is Goblin... but aren't the band members Goblins?

!!!
:ohyes:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..25..31..37..43..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL