The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..29..33..37..41..45..47~48~49 [Next]
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Some believe that Uri Geller will not be able to hold himself back from spouting supernatural interpretations of the performances that will take place on "The Phenomenon." This is despite his taped interview on NBC, in which he appeared to restrain himself effectively, albeit with great strain.

To me, it all comes down to Criss Angel's tolerance threshold for mumbo jumbo vs. theatrics. I wonder if he will promulgate specific guidelines to the performers before their live appearances, or take a chance by leaving the tenor and extensiveness of their supernatural patter up to their individual judgments?

Perhaps Angel is even hoping for an opportunity to bust someone live.

Arnon
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Enter Jim! The Drama metafactor for interdynamics of the judges.... they need Jim badly!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2446 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 15:02, arnon wrote:
Some believe that Uri Geller will not be able to hold himself back from spouting supernatural interpretations of the performances that will take place on "The Phenomenon."

Who? How do you know? Curious cuz there seems to be a whole other place where this is being discussed.

I'm especially curious cuz I wud think the opposite is true. Geller wouldn't want to say anything about it being "real" lest somebody expose the method, etc.

Really interesting stuff!
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Do you really think that Criss will bust anyone?
It seems to me that he said so just for the sake of building credibility.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Now what I think would be cool is instead of exposing/busting by revieling methods is to replicate an effect - period. i.e. if Criss says "fowl! that is not supernatural!" then duplicates the effect using theatrical magic sans explanation... that would be sufficient without having to explain the nuts and bolts....

Then if there was a challenge it would be one of escalating powerful effects with the judges being forced to "duplicate" things....but only for those who claim true supernatural powers....

Of course, the supernatural performer could say "sure you can duplicate it but I am STILL doing it via supernatural means... while you do it artifically.. nyah nyah nyah!"

:bat:
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4301 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
"The existence of wigs does not disprove the existence of real hair."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
It will be an exhibition. The empty box as always will be secure.

I don't suspect Peter Falk nor Angela Lansbury need apply.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 21:46, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

It DOES show that fake hair exists, though.

- entity
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 22:29, entity wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 21:46, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

It DOES show that fake hair exists, though.

- entity

And if a debunker grabs and pulls off Burt Reynolds' or Howard Cosell's or William Shatner's wigs, it definitively disproves that they are sporting their natural hair.

Arnon
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Allot of work to tug on Howards hair.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
And what's that on your thumb, Mr. Geller? You've got some 'splainin' to do. Smile

Arnon

P.S. I buried one of my doe bunnies today, "Change-O," in our back yard. She got a full Jewish funeral as well as my wife's personally created ceremony. She was a sweet-as-sugar, magical addition to me in every way. I will always remember her.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Pets can become like a part of the family.

Sorry for your loss.

- entity
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Thank you, Tom.

I appreciate your empathy.

Arnon
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Few years ago, Menny Lindenfeld invited me to watch the video of him stabbing his on hand on a sharp knife in a live show. He tried to do the knife under one of four cylinders routine and missed.

I told hi, that one day this tape will worth a fortune.
my prediction was right!

[url=http://www.nbc.com/Phenomenon/video/#mea=168272]Check this out[]/url

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 8:46pm
Here is the link again
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Here is his full act at the successor
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
NBC is trying to get American's interested in watching someone possibly hurt themselves on live tv.

Weird but effective.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Alexandré:

Isn't that part of the appeal of "Smash & Stab" or "Russian Roulette" routines?

I auditioned with one, but I guess they preferred more of a "madman" character, i.e. Jim Karol.

I guess I should have made my performing character insane. Oh well...

Arnon
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
I think that the production needed 10 different characters: The Weird, The Mad man, The Chick....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
So now instead of the American angle it has become totally an International thing. I do see the problems that Arnon points out. How Uri claims no slight of hand or trickery.
Any kid who can Google
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sma......e+Search
Will find a dozen places to purchase this....Removing any Mindpower possibilities.....I'm sorry that they are showing that fellow shishkabob his hand over and over. That's gotta hurt!
With some exceptions, it was obvious that they were looking for a certain amount of diversity.
Are you referring to Callahan as The Weird? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..29..33..37..41..45..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL