The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26..31..35..39..43..47~48~49 [Next]
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 22:12, ALEXANDRE wrote:
NBC is trying to get American's interested in watching someone possibly hurt themselves on live tv.

That's called *America's Funniest Videos*.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Jim, I don't think you will get many fans by attacking people like Johnny Carson and Criss on the NBC forum.. Not a good start.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
No attack just statements of truth.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
It's very easy to tell the truth about someone who can't defend himself.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
And you know it's true that Johnny Carson wished he could do what Geller does... how, exactly? Did you have a talk with Carson about this while he was alive?

I like a lot of what you do, Jim, but you're probably better off not trying to make points by bashing folks who aren't around to defend themselves.

- entity
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Entity, looks like you read my mind about last part. Smile
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
As far as I know, Carson was always against those who claim they have supernatural powers and was very open about it. So to say he wished he "could do what Uri did and does" doesn't seem like the truth.. Actually it just seems disrespectful.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I don't think there's any truth at all regarding Jim's statement about Johnny Carson wanting to do what Uri did.

What Johnny wanted to do was to see if what Uri did was real, and he proved that it wasn't real at all.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I thought JJ could speak to the dead... so why does it matter if he talked to Carson or not while Carson was alive?

Also, guess the stage is being set for dramatic explosive drama of Criss vs. Callahan....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll bet johnny DID want to do REAL magic Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
In his own way he did.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Oh boy, Jim could bring us all back in contact with not just Carson at NBC. He could reach back to Jolson.

I suggest a routine involving the three NBC chimes...there was once a fourth chime to be used during wartime. Spookyness.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Entity,

Not bashing just offering my well thought out opinion.

Uri Geller did basicaly one thing and enchanted the world for a brief time.
Are you telling me any magician would not want to do the same if they could?

DJM, I fear the wrong foot went foward the moment they asked me to come out to the auditions in Hollywood.

Eddie,

Ted and Haralan say they know Jolson.
But alas the fourth chime has been lost in time somewere and we are not sure what side of the veil it rests.

But who knows it may turn up.
Everthing and one does sooner or later.
At least that is what Hoffa told me yesterday.

For those intersted the fun is just starting over on the NBC Phenomenon site.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 00:21, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Entity,

Uri Geller did basicaly one thing and enchanted the world for a brief time.
Are you telling me any magician would not want to do the same if they could?

As truthfull coherant and straight forward an explination as I have ever seen out of your crowd of charectors Jim. I have to say I have not thought of it like this and it is pretty good.

Thanks for the food for thought.

Only he may have enchanted the world for a bit more than a "brief time" LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Jim, I believe Johnny Carson had more viewers and respect from people than Uri could ever dream of.. He's considered a TV icon all around the world. So I really doubt he wished he could be like Uri, either as a magician or an entertainer. He seemed very happy with what he had for many years and had huge success when Geller was still just a kid, and right until his retirement.

I think you are so blind by your devotion to Geller that you don't even notice the nosnesne that is coming out of your mouth.. untless of course it's actually J ack talking, hard to know sometimes.
WhateverUnique
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of WhateverUnique
Not trying to defend Jim on the Johnny remark....He's a big boy

But I find too many people in this world worry way too much about what other people think, dead or not. Whoever it was on the NBC forum that was worried what Johnny might think about Uri being on NBC probably worries as much as everyone here instantly worried about what Jim said.
Saying Carson was a magician who wished he could do what Uri did/does is in no way slamming Johnny for all the years as a great entertainer... but everyone read it as an attack?
That behavior I find much more curious....
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 19:48, DJM wrote:
Jim, I don't think you will get many fans by attacking people like Johnny Carson and Criss on the NBC forum.. Not a good start.

Quote:
On 2007-10-22 19:59, Jim-Callahan wrote:
No attack just statements of truth.

Quote:
On 2007-10-22 20:12, entity wrote:
I like a lot of what you do, Jim, but you're probably better off not trying to make points by bashing folks who aren't around to defend themselves.

- entity

Quote:
On 2007-10-23 00:21, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Entity,
J ack

H.O.A-X

Jim/J ack:

Can one who claims to be so spiritual disregard the Law of Karma?*

Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2084 Posts

Profile of gabelson
No one is a greater fan of Johnny Carson than I am. -And I say "am", because I always will be. Truly, he was an innovator, a pioneer. What he brought to the late night world, set the bar for everyone who came after. His successors will be the first to admit that no one before or since is in the same league. And although Johnny had nothing to prove comedically, perhaps he didn't approve of Geller's presenting himself as "the real deal". We'll never know. We DO know Randi didn't approve of it. But we can't compare Randi to Carson... except for the fact that they both knew magic. Well. And therefore, perhaps found common ground in that they both considered Geller disingenuous. Yes, Carson was a genius. He was, for three + decades, probably the most revered figure in America (along with Walter Cronkite). Yet what Carson did that night on national television to Geller, is undeniable, and you can look at it in one of two ways: Either Johnny did the right thing in trying to expose dishonesty, or he simply wasn't being nice. Whatever the motive, it was certainly OUT OF CHARACTER for Johnny. Carson was a unique talent in that he could make a BAD guest look GOOD; a boring guest look entertaining. He could make a 90-year-old man who collects marbles look and feel like the most important person on earth. But Carson pressed on that fateful night, suprising Uri, making him sweat, and that's simply a fact. Perhaps he did it simply for entertainment; for controversy. Look, here we are 30 years later talking about it! Johnny's true motives will never be known, and sadly, the likes of him, will never again be seen.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 02:13, WhateverUnique wrote:

Saying Carson was a magician who wished he could do what Uri did/does is in no way slamming Johnny for all the years as a great entertainer... but everyone read it as an attack?
That behavior I find much more curious....

Jim on the NBC board:

"Who cares what Carson would say?

Carson was a magician who wished he could do what Uri did and does.
(I think the same holds true of Criss.)"

I found that attitude pretty disrespectful.. It's not about what you say, it's how you say it.

Gabelson, from Wikipedia:

In 1973, Carson had a legendary run-in with popular psychic Uri Geller when he invited Geller to appear on his show. Carson, an experienced stage magician, wanted a neutral demonstration of Geller's alleged abilities, so, at the advice of his friend and fellow magician James Randi, he gave Geller several spoons out of his desk drawer and asked him to bend them with his psychic powers

I think that was fair enough to make it neutral. If Geller really had psychic powers then that shouldn't have matter to him.. that's the chance he took for getting on a show like this.

Letterman almost made Paris Hilton cry a few weeks ago.. I found that much worse than what Carson did to Geller.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26..31..35..39..43..47~48~49 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL